glibc-2.6.1 dlopen on short names and valgrind
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v_andal
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: glibc-2.6.1 dlopen on short names and valgrind Reply with quote

Hi!

After the last upgrade that installed glibc-2.6.1, I've noticed that valgrind started to complain that dlopen reads few bytes beyond the end of the buffer containing the file name. After some playing it looks like this happens when the path to the library is less than 15 bytes. So if the allocated buffer is 15 bytes long (14 bytes for the name and 1 byte for terminating zero) then valgrind reports that dlopen attempts to read 16 bytes from this buffer. As soon as I rename the file to have longer name, the report goes away. I have amd64 system. I don't think it introduces any problems, but thought maybe I'd share this :roll:
Airhardt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try re-emerging valgrind. That won't fix the bug in glibc, but to my knowledge valgrind suppresses all warnings about bugs in the version of glibc it was linked against. ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: