Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Official thread: "zen-sources" - Part V
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbvcxz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlashBeast wrote:
mbar wrote:
Yes please!!! Because I fvcking hate live/git ebuilds, I like my kernel with a single file patch. And I mean it :)

+1

+100
Single patch versions of zen sources are much more easier to use for people, that are not playing with kernel recompilation 'every day'. Second, I and probably a lot of other people use zen source in other distros, so patching and compiling from single patch is just more 'portable' :idea:
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
darklegion wrote:
Website (and git) still down for me too.In the mean time, does anybody have a broken out reiser4 patch from zen-sources? I want to use 2.6.28-rc9 vanilla but I can't because the mm reiser4 patch (and the 2.6.27 patch) doesn't work with 2.6.28.

why don't you guys just RTFI (instruction ;) ) ? https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5185885.html#5185885

i've updated it some days ago and it still works :?

would you mind moving some or all this to the website somewhere, there in an install guide section that could use good "generic" git instructions and then some basic distro related (for gentoo that would be layman and ebuild info) info

done in some way - it still needs some corrections (BBCode -> HTML-Code) but at the least the people can't bitch around about lacking installation instruction now :P

Quote:
<rmh3093> we need a better webpresense
<rmh3093> so until the website is to my satisfaction
<rmh3093> there will be no kernel
<rmh3093> so people should start working on the website

is the zen-sources repo being removed the result of that discussion / announcement ? :o

thankyou, i can install the bbcode module for drual

EDIT: done

Last edited by rmh3093 on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestige wrote:
Well... putting zen website with higher priority than the zen sources itself does not make any sense to me. The most important thing to me as a zen-sources user is the git repository and the zen-sources itself and not the website! We need a good quality up do date sources and not a fancy website (refer to kernel.org for example). Please resolve the internal team issues people (I presume you are experienced such).

2.6.28-rc9-zen1 works very well.

I have to balance the needs of all our users, not just you.we have a new server,a chance to start over and do things properly. this is not an "internal team" issue, you "users" have been asking for a better website, a good website is critical to gaining more users, I also expect the user community to help contribute to the website, not just the devs, maybe if some of you users helped some docs we can get past this... think of this as a feature freeze... I am sick of answering the same questions over and over... users shouldnt have to search though 30 pages of forum posts to find some info.... adding the info that I am requesting to the website is a 1 time deal, from then on only updates and corrections need to be made very trivial, i dont get why you are all making such a big deal about this.....nothing special has happen in the linux kernel in a while, you are not missing anything, we all can take a break for a week from buiilding kernels and help add some content to thewebsite
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbvcxz wrote:
SlashBeast wrote:
mbar wrote:
Yes please!!! Because I fvcking hate live/git ebuilds, I like my kernel with a single file patch. And I mean it :)

+1

+100
Single patch versions of zen sources are much more easier to use for people, that are not playing with kernel recompilation 'every day'. Second, I and probably a lot of other people use zen source in other distros, so patching and compiling from single patch is just more 'portable' :idea:

yeah,yeah patch based ebuilds will be back,i wrote an application that automates creating the patch, uploading itto the website, creating the release nodes, uploads anebuilds, etc... but that will requirea few more things be in place on the website, however, enjoying the holidays is a higher priority than doing anything zen-* releated
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just copied and pasted with little editing something in the website, hope I haven't done nothing bad :)

btw, "merry fscking christmas" up and running :D
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:
just copied and pasted with little editing something in the website, hope I haven't done nothing bad :)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
mieszkoslusarczyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o
fs/aufs/file.c:761: error: unknown field ‘prepare_write’ specified in initializer
fs/aufs/file.c:761: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
fs/aufs/file.c:762: error: unknown field ‘commit_write’ specified in initializer

Besides, there are two 'layered filesystems' sections in gconfig, and kernel is called 2.6.28zen1 intead of 2.6.28-zen1.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:

yes thanks a bunch
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o
fs/aufs/file.c:761: error: unknown field ‘prepare_write’ specified in initializer
fs/aufs/file.c:762: error: unknown field ‘commit_write’ specified in initializer

Besides, there are two 'layered filesystems' sections in gconfig, and kernel is called 2.6.28zen1 intead of 2.6.28-zen1.

what are you suggesting here?
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ponciarello wrote:

just would like to contribute an ebuild also: kamikaze-sources-2.6.28-r1.ebuild
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are wrote:
ponciarello wrote:

who the F&ck are you and why are u naming the ebuild kamikaze-sources, this is a Zen kernel, can u not read or are u just trying to start a fight?
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbvcxz wrote:
SlashBeast wrote:
mbar wrote:

+1

+100

Patches are made for zen releases, not really sure what the issue is.
Lost in android development land.
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
are wrote:
ponciarello wrote:

who the F&ck are you and why are u naming the ebuild kamikaze-sources, this is a Zen kernel, can u not read or are u just trying to start a fight?

and stop spamming the forums/internet with unofficial releases, you are just causing us more problems...thanks a bunch
mieszkoslusarczyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o

I just wanted to ask you to merge duplicated sections and fix the compilation error;)
Oh, and there is one more:
Code:
ERROR: "security_inode_permission" [fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "vfs_splice_to" [fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko] undefined!
ERROR: "vfs_splice_from" [fs/unionfs/unionfs.ko] undefined!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are wrote:
ponciarello wrote:

Not sure what this user is doing.
I've looked at the ebuild, downloaded "2.6.28-kamikaze1.patch.bz2" and this is just a diff of the current zen git repository that i just literally made/updates not very long ago from writing this post (it hasn't even been tested or anything yet)

So, "are", do not go on making unofficial releases of zen under a different name. I did report your post.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o

I just wanted to ask you to merge duplicated sections and fix the compilation error;)
Code:

STOP reporting problems to me! i just rebased the git repo, and honestly unionfs isn't even in it yet so i don't know what your complaint is.
mieszkoslusarczyk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o

Code:

STOP reporting problems to me! i just rebased the git repo, and honestly unionfs isn't even in it yet so i don't know what your complaint is.

I took it from this post:

ponciarello wrote:

So it isn't exported from zen.git ?
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmh3093 wrote:

just a noob that scratched some itches. zen-source is still GPLed, is it not? I can't release something in your name, as I do not like to damage your reputation in any way...

best regards!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
cheater1034 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:
mieszkoslusarczyk wrote:
Code:
 CC [M]  fs/aufs/file.o

Code:

I took it from this post:

ponciarello wrote:

So it isn't exported from zen.git ?

No, i don't know what that is, don't use it....

2.6.28-zen1 didn't exist in zen.git until i started working on it a little bit ago.
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
So, "are", do not go on making unofficial releases of zen under a different name. I did report your post.

Not really sure, what exactly your problem NOW is -- I thought, I 'd comply within the GPL especially as I do not take any credits (see 2 pages before).
Well, could open just a new thread.

Best regards!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

just a noob that scratched some itches. zen-source is still GPLed, is it not? I can't release something in your name, as I do not like to damage your reputation in any way...

best regards!

No, diffing unofficial zen patches causes nothing but confusion, renaming them to things they are not (kamikaze) causes even more confusion.
ponciarello
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to clarify, I took "merry fscking christmas" from jt's website, I don't know if it's official or not.
I don't even linked it directly but I linked the page with the (funny :D ) disclaimer, I thought it was enough.

@ are: yes, but you're using waninoko's name, beside that packaging other people's work (with no relevant diffs) and releasing under a different name is not very fair.

Last edited by ponciarello on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:19 am; edited 2 times in total
rmh3093
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

best regards!

Well first off, you used the name kamikazi which is not your name either, kamikazi-sources and skunk-sources merged into zen-sources, one of our developers created kamikaze, so in a way that is still afilliated with us, second, you didnt remove zen from the source code anyway so it still looks likeour kernel so not only will people bitch to use when it does not work, but now there is a kernel out there with the -zen1 tag which means if we release a -zen1 people will be confused.... so thanks so much
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added a new story to zen-sources.org

Basically, if it's not from zen-sources.org or git.zen-sources.org then don't use it!
Also, if you haven't checked out zen-sources.org yet it is making some very significant progress. I encourage every zen user to register an account.
are
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheater1034 wrote:
are wrote:
rmh3093 wrote:

best regards!

No, diffing unofficial zen patches causes nothing but confusion, renaming them to things they are not (kamikaze) causes even more confusion.

Well, please explain me my options then:
1) there are no ebuild for zen-source so far
2) users ask for simple ebuilds, you do not like to give these, until the webpage fulfills your needs
3) I strongly disagree with your work flow, but admit and like your patches nevertheless

What is the way of least damage now? I thought a fork would be -- but I#m open for better ideas (as: provide proper ebuilds soon).
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: