PeaZip 2.2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: PeaZip 2.2 Reply with quote

PeaZip 2.2 was release yesterday.
It is available as installable and also as standalone application not needing installation; in both cases in peazipdirectory/res/altconf.txt you can set absolute or relative path of application's configuration files if you keep the application in a path that is not writeable for the current user, or i.e. if you want to store configuration for multiple users in a shared path for administrative purposes.
It supports UTF-8, localizations, bookmarks etc... you can see full changelog on http://peazip.sourceforge.net/
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: PeaZip 2.2 Reply with quote

GiorgioTani wrote:
PeaZip 2.2 was release yesterday.
It is available as installable and also as standalone application not needing installation; in both cases in peazipdirectory/res/altconf.txt you can set absolute or relative path of application's configuration files if you keep the application in a path that is not writeable for the current user, or i.e. if you want to store configuration for multiple users in a shared path for administrative purposes.
It supports UTF-8, localizations, bookmarks etc... you can see full changelog on http://peazip.sourceforge.net/

Hi Giorgio,

just wanted to say 'thanks' for that great program :)

you're a machine ;)

it supports multi-threading, right ? (usually I don't look at the system-monitor or top if I compress stuff)

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
GiorgioTani
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: PeaZip 2.2 Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:

it supports multi-threading, right ? (usually I don't look at the system-monitor or top if I compress stuff)

It depends from the component:
- the graphical frontend components are single threaded (but handling archives, coping/moving files and so on happens in separate processes);
- backend utilities including Pea (which handles PEA format, file split, secure deletion, hashing etc) are mostly single threaded, but p7zip backend which handles many archive formats is multithreaded (all compression algorithms it supports are multithreaded excluding PPMd, you can refer to 7-Zip documentation to know how many threads supports each algorithm).

If you i.e. create a zip archive, you will have a process with a single thread which allow interaction for archive definition (PeaZip) which you can use to define other jobs while previous jobs are running; a second process that allows you to control and interact with the undelying archive creation process while it is running (PeaLauncher) through a pipe; a third process with multiple threads that will archive/compress/encrypt the data (since deflate and deflate64 implementation in p7zip backend is multithreaded while most other implementations of same algorithms are single threaded), so you will tipically have 3 processes and 3 or more threads in total.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: PeaZip 2.2 Reply with quote

GiorgioTani wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:

It depends from the component:
- the graphical frontend components are single threaded (but handling archives, coping/moving files and so on happens in separate processes);
- backend utilities including Pea (which handles PEA format, file split, secure deletion, hashing etc) are mostly single threaded, but p7zip backend which handles many archive formats is multithreaded (all compression algorithms it supports are multithreaded excluding PPMd, you can refer to 7-Zip documentation to know how many threads supports each algorithm).

If you i.e. create a zip archive, you will have a process with a single thread which allow interaction for archive definition (PeaZip) which you can use to define other jobs while previous jobs are running; a second process that allows you to control and interact with the undelying archive creation process while it is running (PeaLauncher) through a pipe; a third process with multiple threads that will archive/compress/encrypt the data (since deflate and deflate64 implementation in p7zip backend is multithreaded while most other implementations of same algorithms are single threaded), so you will tipically have 3 processes and 3 or more threads in total.

WOW ! 8O
that was a very detailed and easy understandable answer :wink:

so I guess it should be fine & using all of the processor power (I have dual-core processor)

thanks !

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: