Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
this is the last straw!! buh-bye for good XP, you been...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillspiraling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: this is the last straw!! buh-bye for good XP, you been... Reply with quote

Gentoo'd!!!

M$ has finally stepped on my last nerve. I don't find nearly the interest I do in games as of late (I don't know why, I just get bored easier). I want to get in touch with my coding side more as well. Windows XP has been more erroneous with more stupid sh!t lately than ever, and I'm pretty much fed up! Thus my system is about to go from a DUAL boot, to a single boot :) I am happy to say I will soon be a full time gentoo user. This will then force me to actually grok linux to the extreme and learn it all so I can do all I need to do on a daily basis! Anyone want to tell me what a good use of 160 gigs of gentoo is? :)

Cheers!!!

Jared 8) 8) 8)
b-llwyd
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a TV card and start recording directly to your comp :)

(MS free for a year now)
Forse
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we all know what u can do with 160gigs :lol: Get dc_gui and GO GO GO GO!!!!!
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, good for you!

i had a similar experience happen a few months ago, when a fresh XP install, with one program (a M$ one at that!!! vs.NET) horribly crashed and became completely unusable. it's still on my hard drive, because i thought i was going to be doing a project this summer that required windows (some serial port programing, which kinda needs windows to be tested), but i've yet to do it. granted, it's installed on a seperate drive, so it can't hurt gentoo :), but by the end of the summer, i think it'll be going bye bye :p. of course, then i'll be told i need windows for some random class at school...
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
of course, then i'll be told i need windows for some random class at school...

that,s what vmware is for my friend :)
Ian
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, well, not to cross onto illegal territory here, but i don't have money to buy it (even the educational license), and even if i did, i'd still "technically" have to buy a Windows license. Of course, if I were to just be so lucky as to find both of those licenses lying in say, the street in front of my house, i'd use them, but at the moment, i'm kind of missing the vmware one (I "aquired" an XP license, even though I don't use it).

plus, my computer is old, .8 GHz (the Ghz makes it look faster :p), 320 MB of RAM (PC133), although I do have plenty of hard drive space for XP (extra 10 gig drive lying around). apart from that though, t's just the whole lack of money/license issue holding me back ;).
stillspiraling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I have pulled the XP reinstall at least 10-12 times. Virii, cost, downtime, maintenance, etc. etc. I'm just sick of all of the trash that comes with such expensive software, and as I said - I need to get in touch with my geek side again. Tell me about this gui app you speak of?

edit: scratch that, I googled dc_gui :) badass. This is a good plan indeeeeed.

Thx,
Jared

Oh, and my system can run a dual boot, triple, quad, quint boot. You name it, I've got the power - but as listed above I don't care :) If it can't run in winex, I don't need it (yet) Hopefully half life 2 will get worked out somehow. That and diablo 2 are all that interest me lately.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: