View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
Portage and Programming wrote:
Problems with emerge or ebuilds? Have a basic programming question about C, PHP, Perl, BASH or something else?

Cos it says so right there?

the big problem is that it is within the gentoo support forums...

Sure it says that, but we are to be mislead by the fact that OTW gets so many "Moved to Off The Wall. Not about Gentoo, so moved here" messages from the mods.
Yes, but you rarely ever see that with programming topics, it's mostly stupid desktop stuff specifically related to other distro's.

Also, yay!

No more removing your damn sig!

All is forgiven!

/me huggles poly-p
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
Problems with emerge or ebuilds? Have a basic programming question about C, PHP, Perl, BASH or something else?

Sure it says that, but we are to be mislead by the fact that OTW gets so many "Moved to Off The Wall. Not about Gentoo, so moved here" messages from the mods.

Exactly, despite the fact that general programming topics clearly belong in P&P. Mods should either change the sub-forum name/desc or stop hocking general programming topics into OTW, that way nobody gets confused.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
Hopeless wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
i always ask for help with my programming in OTW because I know most of the people in there and I know it would get the most people looking at it.

Any personal programming i need help with is nothing to do with portage so i see no reason why it should go in there
Even though it clearly belongs in Portage & Programming...
why does it belong in Gentoo's portage and programming?

Lets face it, the name of the forum is a throw back to the golden age when you used to fix the problems with portage with python patches that were posted there and later added to the next version. Today's "Portage and Programming" is totally different and should be changed to "All Things Portage". There should be a nice little sub-forum in OTW specifically for programming but i dont think it would get used enough
le sigh...

Quote:
Portage & Programming
For as long as I can remember P & P has been the appropriate place for such topics.
AidanJT wrote:

and just how many programming questions are there on the first page?

Hopeless wrote:
I agree that a separate general programming section would be better, but I think it should be in the same section as OTW (ie "Discussion & Documentation") rather than a subsection of OTW itself, and posts in it should still be listed in unanswered.
ok, put it this way. How is the quickest way to get your programming question answered on the gentoo forums?

"An eye for an eye will make us all blind" - Gandhi

Cold is gods way to tell us to burn more Catholics
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
poly_poly-man wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Exactly, despite the fact that general programming topics clearly belong in P&P. Mods should either change the sub-forum name/desc or stop hocking general programming topics into OTW, that way nobody gets confused.

I think that the mods all have slightly different ideas of the intricate series of rules.

Gripe #2: Kernel and Hardware. I think I finally understand this one - if you are asking whether particular hardware will work with gentoo, it's good. If you are asking whether particular hardware will work with linux in general, it depends which mod you ask. If you are asking whether particular hardware is good in general, OTW. Same rules if you are asking what hardware is good instead of about particular hardware.

this right?

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's just SO MANY of them... I can't be arsed to look through all the forums for questions I can help with...

you're trying... that's the best i or anyone can ask for. i normally keep my help to N+S and G+P, or multimedia, if it deals with apps i use (amarok, mythtv, apache, bind, openldap, etc etc etc)

Quote:
Must confess this thread hasn't really enlightened me, other than "Put all shell scripting questions in P&P". Because it seems typical Python or C questions remains in OTW?

i've been moving them to P+P recently. if the thread dies before i get a chance to do that, then i normally just let them die. :?

wow, even before i get a chance to reply, there's a second page... one second... :lol:
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Ok, if you were to walk into a bakery, and all you saw was meat, wouldn't you be a bit puzzled as to why you're really in a butchers and the owner is getting in a tizzy about you walking into his shop for bread?.. Things should be labeled clearly and logically.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Ok, if you were to walk into a bakery, and all you saw was meat, wouldn't you be a bit puzzled as to why you're really in a butchers and the owner is getting in a tizzy about you walking into his shop for bread?.. Things should be labeled clearly and logically.
Hey! I do the metaphors around here!

sts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to be clear, we can post non-Gentoo related programming questions in P&P? One of the mods was pretty strict about things being Gentoo-related in the past.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sts wrote:
So, to be clear, we can post non-Gentoo related programming questions in P&P? One of the mods was pretty strict about things being Gentoo-related in the past.

personally, i don't see why not as long as it's linux, and doesn't involve non-gentoo distros/apps directly (see my yum example). it's still a programming question. :wink:

you guys also had mentioned compilation issue threads. i'm somewhat torn on these. other mods/admins might disagree with me, but i feel they should all also go to P+P (i don't touch them). i personally feel problems with the applications themselves should be what goes into those categories.

you guys mentioned splitting up P+P, i'm not sure how feasible that would be since they have been smooshed together for these past few years (IIRC they used to be separate). i suppose if we did do it, and worse came to worst, we could just say "no more portage/programming questions in this category" (depending on what goes where).

if we were also to start tinkering with categories (and i don't forecast it happening soon), i'd like them to split up N+S into two different categories. maybe also subcategories of DE for kde/gnome, but maybe that's going a little too far... people might start complaining that there are too many categories, or that there isn't a category for xfce/fvwm/etc. :lol:
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-702961.html

proof we need a general linux forum.

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's just SO MANY of them [forums]... I can't be arsed to look through all the forums for questions I can help with...

I use the View posts from last 24 hours link at the top. Scan down as many topics as I have time for, read and reply to anything I have something to say about. It is usually 4 or 5 pages per 24 hours, or one new page every 5ish hours, which isn't too much. Or if I am busy I just let it go. You might miss some, but invariably someone else will pick up.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find more of helpful persons looking here daily than other threads.
a faster help / get moved happens here.
if the thread is catching more than 2 3 solving answers and stops there why it needs moving.
also some questions dont fit anywhere else. :(
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an app-emulation/wine question in Other Things Gentoo with nary an answer. It would have been answered in five minutes on OTW. :?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

old school wrote:
I have an app-emulation/wine question in Other Things Gentoo with nary an answer. It would have been answered in five minutes on OTW. :?
otw ain't a support forum, so tough poop.

:P
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
old school wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
old school wrote:

while OTW can support even poo styles why not support the important technical ones also? :)

anyway pjp will move it in no time.
atleast it would have caught few peoples' eyes so we get an answer even after moved/kicked out of here :D
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at the end of the day OTW should have it's own programming sub-forum, it could be a place for programmers to hang out who dont want to go near the craziness of OTW. P&P should be changed to a purely portage forum (which is basically what it has been for 2 years)

sugar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
square_ wrote:
you can not expect to get an answer there. and IF, it takes days.

maybe if more people spent time outside of otw, they would get a higher post count and get more questions resolved quickly. :wink:

yeah, but gentoo chat isn't exactly a support forum, but you still get a postcount out of it
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Or how about I walk into a store that says "Bakery and Butcher." Then I walk in and ask someone "Where's the butcher? All I see is bread." Then they say "Continue walking until you see some meat." And then 30 minutes later I actually find some, after walking through a seemingly endless array of breads.

So while it's true that the place is labelled correctly, I'm not gonna want to go there for my meats anymore.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interwebs lag? :D
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I never noticed the sticky till now.
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a fairly silly situation, why not leave programming questions, posted by regular OTWers, in OTW?

I mean, it's the same fucking 200 people in there 24/7 anyway so what difference does it make? A non-OTWer will put it in P&P anyway.

Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slycordinator wrote:
AidanJT wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
AidanJT wrote:

Or how about I walk into a store that says "Bakery and Butcher." Then I walk in and ask someone "Where's the butcher? All I see is bread." Then they say "Continue walking until you see some meat." And then 30 minutes later I actually find some, after walking through a seemingly endless array of breads.

So while it's true that the place is labelled correctly, I'm not gonna want to go there for my meats anymore.
I should have waited for Jan 30th to say this but... That is bang on.

Trog Dog
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow times have changed - this is the first time I've read this thread. Nowadays the criticisms of OTW are that you can't get a tech question answered sensibly - I never experienced the days when it was the place to go to get a tech question answered quickly.

Yep I'm bored - that's why I'm going through old threads.

And what was the problem with polys sig?
Butts McCokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem was he wrote his name in every post like this

Poly-P-Man

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: