Recommendations for partitioning a mail server over RAID
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for partitioning a mail server over RAID Reply with quote

Yes, it's the old favourite, Linux partitions.

Back when I first discovered Linux I spent as much time piddling around with partition setups and various fstab flags as I did actually using the thing, but one thing I never had available to me when setting up a new system was RAID arrays. Now I work with servers and get to do it all again (but this time for real :P), and due to the fact I'm inheriting this system the RAID arrays are already pre-determined, a RAID 1 array of two disks (duh) and a RAID 5 with four disks.

The question I have is how best to split a mail server on such a setup. On Windows I'd put the C partition on the first array and the D partition on the second array, and that'd be that. I don't know what best practice is for Linux in this situation though, should I be putting / on one and /home on another etc.?

Off the top of my head I think sendmail (though another MTA may be used) puts its queue under /var/... and therefore I'd want most of the setup on the first array and then /var on the second. Advice welcome! Big Grin

My gut tells me I should do the following:

RAID1 (72GB):

/boot
/
/swap
/usr

RAID5 (216GB):

/var
/home
/tmp

Unsure whether it's worse the hassle of spinning off /tmp into its own partition.

This is a gateway system processing incoming and outgoing mail, but not holding any mailboxes.
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would keep it pretty simple.

It depends on your mailserver configuration. Where are the mails going to be? /var/mail or home???

I would put the whole linux install on the raid1 and put all the customer data on the raid5.
Quitch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the MTA is undecided between PostFix and Exim at this point, but I assume the directories are fully configurable for both, so I might just be best having a /something and putting that as the sole partition on the RAID5 array?
anello
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may consider to put the whole /var on the raid5. It's sometimes useful to have all the log files and data on a different partition as the actual install. Assuming that you mails go to /var/mail or similar.

Have fun setting up your mailserver ;)
nativemad
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i don't think that it's a very good idea to put the whole var in one partition... If your logs are getting flooded, then the MTA has no space left for the mailqueue! :wink:

It also depends on the actual speed of the drives and the blocksize and so on, but i would guess that raid5 is faster than raid1, so put the "working" data there.

raid1
/boot
/

raid5
/tmp
/var
/var/log
/var/spool
swap

shure, you could also have a separate partition for /usr with special mount flags (ro for example), which i would place on the raid1.

good luck! :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: