Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
@nephilim: Sorry but that's the second time you've started swearing (first time I hadn't even said anything to you.) If you see this as flaming, maybe you're not as experienced as you claim? (although you do appear to be getting quite heated.) Wrt discussing amongst themselves, I meant they weren't discussing with cryos and telling him to his face how stupid he was, which is exactly what he did (only he got his facts wrong.)

In the first post I didn't adress you personally either and I'm sorry if the F-words in my posts bothered you. On the other side I see nothing wrong with using profanities as long as I'm not insulting someone, but I forgot that other cultures might see that differently. My bad! ;)

I also never accused you of flaming but critized the attitude showing in your posts. Instead of trying to find out what cryos really meant you jumped to conclusions going even as far as imputing a burnout to cryos. Even though you admit that you don't even know him at all. You just seemed to be too happy to catch a dev being mistaken and not even admiting it.

I don't understand why you keep defending users being rude to a developer who took the time to inform us all about whats going on with KDE-4.1, while jumping on the devs back for defending himself! Useless stuff like that is just polarizing the user/dev relations and doesn't help the community a bit.

Edit: Now wait a minute! Look what I found here while rereading this thread:
steveL wrote:
And coders never fsck up?

Why on earth would you criticise me for swearing when you did the same just a few posts above?
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cryos wrote:
OK, I lied, I will post a reply...

I`m impatient too, but i completely understand your point of view either .Thank you for your effort to bring kde-4.1.1 in to the main tree :wink:
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After rereading cryos initial post, I have to revoke my subliminal opinion that he was flaming back! On the contrary, it was quite a decent rebuke for their rudeness and very far from:

steveL wrote:
"the dev was being rude"

"In getting unnecessarily aggressive, and imo quite nasty, he merely lived up to the stereotype of Gentoo devs."

"Actually that kind of nastiness from a dev can kill a person's desire to contribute stone dead"

"not telling him to his face how stupid he was, which is exactly what he did"

Cryos was not rude nor nasty and he most definately did not call anyone stupid either! Sorry but WTF?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cryos wrote:
I responded to this thread because someone called Volker Armin posted a direct link to the post I replied to, this is a public forum for Gentoo Linux and the people in the thread were stating that I had not read the FHS spec.

They were pointing out that the FHS doesn't allow /usr/kde of any sort, so that giving "FHS compatibility" as some sort of benefit is a bit of a red herring. Your comments about "an offical Gentoo forum" leave me somewhat cold. For many users the forum is equivalent to IRC for many devs, so they are informal and can appear quite rude to an outsider (especially in OTW.) Devs have several other places to hang out. The reason as you've given it reads to me like "he questioned my expertise on a public Gentoo forum, therefore I have every right to put him in his place," iow more of an ego thing than anything else.
Quote:
I would certainly agree that my response was terse but I fail to see where it was rude. I honestly think it was quite polite after the tone the post I was replying to took.

That response seemed very rude to me, and as a dev responding on a public Gentoo forum, as you yourself put it, you didn't need to go there. Responding even in kind is unnecessary.
Quote:
@steveL: If you feel you are on some kind of crusade to call devs on their behaviour but to condone/ignore users poor behaviour then good luck with that.

No I don't feel anything of the sort, thanks.
Quote:
I did not get my facts wrong, they got their's wrong but in all honesty that is quite irrelevant. The way they and Volker went about trying to point it out was just plain rude (behind my back or to my face). I tried to set them straight but did not see the point in writing too much. May be I should qualify future posts with constructive, polite and useful feedback would be appreciated?

No, all you need to do is not get riled, since you're already in a position where you get a lot of respect for the work you do, and can afford to display maturity. Some would say it is in fact incumbent upon you to do so, as an offical Gentoo dev. And as I've pointed out, they were talking informally in their setting. I've seen much, much ruder behaviour from Gentoo devs on IRC, so you can hardly claim this is some cultural thing you don't get. Your repeated referral to how they insulted you makes me think this was you hitting back, and not just you being `terse'. I never expected to see you behaving like that.
Quote:
In response to your comments on my burnout, they were dead wrong and seem to be total hyperbole.

What like accusing me of being on a crusade? Oh you put 'if' in front, so that means it doesn't apply..
For the record, I was just giving you the benefit of the doubt. Clearly you're simply a lot ruder in normal conversation than your considered posts would indicate.
Quote:
I don't honestly see the point in discussing this with you further as your replies are certainly not what I would consider polite either. Are you exempt from behaving in the way you expect others to behave?

Of course not, which is why I've bothered to explain myself in this thread.
Quote:
What I meant by that comment was that I was tired of explaining things over and over, therefore I made the blog post setting out my current thoughts. I can see where some confusion may have arisen from that sentence and I will try to be clearer in future.

Well I'm glad you can see that it was a reasonable inference to make.

Thank you for all the work you put into Gentoo. As I have stated, if the change makes your lives easier, I'm all for it.

@nephilim: You're right I'm an evil, evil man. Can I go now?
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
@nephilim: You're right I'm an evil, evil man. Can I go now?

Way to bail out of an argument! Well, nevermind then. ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, busted again! ;p
cogent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... Any one hoping we'll get it by 4.1.3? I sure am :)

Go devs!
Punraz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: unwanted excess of sarcasm not needed in absence of demand.. Reply with quote

cogent wrote:
Go devs!

Hello,

ah, sarcasm, anyhow, take a look at the gitWeb and you'll be pretty confident that Gentoo's new KDE team worked really hard (thanks for that!) and prepared a nice present for the community.

Cheers
punraz
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: unwanted excess of sarcasm not needed in absence of dema Reply with quote

Punraz wrote:
cogent wrote:
Go devs!

Hello,

ah, sarcasm, anyhow, take a look at the gitWeb and you'll be pretty confident that Gentoo's new KDE team worked really hard (thanks for that!) and prepared a nice present for the community.

Cheers
punraz

Fingers crossed :mrgreen:
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE-4.1.2 is in portage.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not try to unmask it before KDE.org actually releases their 4.1.2 tarballs though. We are a bit ahead of schedule... ;)

KDE 4.1.2 will be ~ once it's officially released.
cogent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any minute now... almost there.
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cogent wrote:
any minute now... almost there.

Any minute? It was released 6-7 hours before you posted that. :P
cogent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still ~M though. I get impatient as the time nears :)
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cogent wrote:
Still ~M though. I get impatient as the time nears :)

Not anymore! 8)

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-base/kde-meta
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: