Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dagger wrote:

Paludis is a project which has similar principles as portage - does package managing. I remember paludis in early alpha stages when it's functionality was very poor, but the ideas were great. Since that time Paludis became something portage should became ages ago. It's got more features, it's faster, it's well maintained and maintainers are opened to users/devs suggestions. That's the reason why some of KDE team members prefer to use it. It gives them features portage can only dream of right now.

faster? that is debatable. 'Open to suggestions'? Really? You are talking about ciaranm my friend.
http://r0bertz.blogspot.com/2007/01/be-careful-when-you-are-on-paludis.html

doesn't support that. Paludis is also imcompatible with portage by design (except when you set the portage useflag. Well done!).

That the paludis features are needed for the kde overlay is disproven by kdesvn-portage. Which delivers kde4.1 (and the rc, and the beta, and svn ebuilds) without the dependency on paludis. Strange, isn't it? Maybe some people choose paludis to 'make' some more users switch to paludis? I don't know.
but this is very mature, indeed: export PALUDIS_DO_NOTHING_SANDBOXY="portage sucks"

If you only want 'more speed' - there is pkgcore. Which is faster, which is compatible with portage without setting the right flag and works very well.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
Lets see, for Sabayon to divorce Gentoo they'd have to:
1) Maintain their own version of the entire portage tree, for which they'd need more developers than they and Gentoo have put together.
2) Switch package managers - I guess they could use Paludis but there's still a lot of Gentoo in that. Perhaps they should move to apt? =D
3) Replace all the Gentoo support materials with their own. Judging by the number of Sabayon users I still see asking for help on these forums and in IRC, they don't even have enough material to support what they currently do.

Sabayon is irrevocably intertwined with Gentoo. Don't like it, tough.

Sabayon has Entropy so #2 is not an issue. Why would they need to replace Gentoo support materials? The only real obstacle seems to be #1.
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have tested Kde 4:

I think it is only a sign of professionality if a distro decides to switch to this unready software at first when it is somewhat stable.

Many applications (e.g. K3B, Digikam, Kile) are not yet ready for KDE4.

For Kdevelop, there exists an "alpha" version for KDE4. I could not install it, when i tested KDE4. It broke during compilation. But there is an interesting "comparison table" of Kdevlope 3 and the version for KDE4:

http://www.kdevelop.org/mediawiki/index.php/KDevelop_4/KDev3_KDev4_comparison_table
(one must scroll down to see this desaster...)

Everyone who wants to switsch to KDE4 should look at this table. 90% of the features of Kdevelop 3 are not available in Kdevelop4 yet.

One can conclude: Kde4 is something for Suse or Ubuntu users without any professional interest. What can they do with a desktop manager where most of the Software does not work with?
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, kde3 software runs just fine in kde4. So what is the problem?

Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
well, kde3 software runs just fine in kde4. So what is the problem?
Only if you have Kdelibs3 and others installed! My experience was, that in order to have KDE3 and 4 software together, you must have dozens of librarys with two different versions installed. For someone who wants a clean system, yes this is a problem. I don't see any reason why users should pollute their system with that much librarys with two versions installed.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'pollute' - everything kde3 is in one directory, everything kde4 is in a different - and since 4 is not even an update (or a slotted one), kde3 won't be unmerged until you do it. keeping around 3 for a while is a good thing - in case of severe bugs. But hey, if you are developing software you know that yourself - always have a known good version as an emergency fallback ...

dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
[a truck-load of lies and personal attacks]

*sigh* How typical.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
energyman76b wrote:
[a truck-load of lies and personal attacks]

*sigh* How typical.

just removing everything and calling me a liar. How typical.

_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that developers want to have some fun doing their work and I respect that. I would want that too.

But if you want to build a house you need a plan. Every craftsman is good in his/her area and makes improvements which is definitly a good thing and wanted. But if there is no architekt you may have many occupied craftsman but never a house you can live in.

Even if they build four beatiful houses but finish none of them they may have had a good time, but they havn't done anything usefull at all. They are not craftsman then, they are just a bunch of handyman.

If they want to do what they like, they can have a good time, but if you organise in a group with a goal you have also a responsiblity for the tasks you accept.
#There is more than one way to do it.

Last edited by _puck_ on Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
Alabattai wrote:
Funny, how the little and undermanned Arch Linux already had three KDE 4.1 releases in their main repos, and now they're not even in testing or unstable anymore.

Arch is a distribution in it's own right. Their decision.

Also, on Arch you don't have a choice. If you want KDE, you get 4.1. You don't have the choice of keeping 3.5. At least not without going through some convoluted hoops. And 4.1 is definitely not an up-to-par replacement for 3.5 yet.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

node_one wrote:
AllenJB wrote:
2) Switch package managers - I guess they could use Paludis but there's still a lot of Gentoo in that. Perhaps they should move to apt? =D
Sabayon is irrevocably intertwined with Gentoo. Don't like it, tough.

Sabayon has Entropy so #2 is not an issue.

Entropy is basically just a wrapper/frontend for portage.
_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime I got a Kubuntu CD and installed it (in less than one hour) along with gentoo complete with kde4.1. I have to say, it works for me, I talk about the KDE-part. There are some minor annoyances (very small), but all my daily tasks can be done without any drawback. All my hardware (Thinkpad T61p) worked out of the box. I would consider it a really good work. Yes, there are not as many configuration options as with KDE3 at the moment.

It is a bit like christmas or easter when you first start a new desktop and poke arround to see where the eggs have been hidden. I love that. It is very beautiful, all the KDE3 apps work (there are not many you really need). It feels a bit more grown-up compared to KDE3.5.

I really wanted to make that experience with gentoo like in the past. But one has to know when something is futile. You have to set priorities.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could have had all the same with kdesvn-portage. The ebuilds have been there three days before official release.

All that talk about a real none-issue...
_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Well, you could have had all the same with kdesvn-portage. The ebuilds have been there three days before official release.

Like Carlo said: the overlays are a general indicator for some very big problems. I want something from the official distribution not from some spin-off project. Is this so hard to understand?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Questionable - if you want bleeding edge you may as well could use an overlay. But you are free to keep your philosphical/political principles and leave.
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
pollute' - everything kde3 is in one directory, everything kde4 is in a different
Ufortunately, KDE4 needs much more than only the KDE libs.....
_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Questionable - if you want bleeding edge you may as well could use an overlay. But you are free to keep your philosphical/political principles and leave.

I don't want to leave. I want to help. And I don't want to be someone with high, useless principles. But sure I want to address a real problem which might be bigger than I thought.

Even a developer said, overlays are the root of all evil. (Carlo, if you feel I misquoted you, please tell me.) I would like to see a released piece of software in the main portage tree. That's all. Not more not less. And if it's a important piece of software it would be better to have it sooner than later. Just my opinion? I think not, as this thread shows.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bitching about some piece of software just released 2 days ago will most certainly not help Gentoo. Gentoo doesn't only provide the heavy vanilla packages, it provides them split up in smaller units, and sorting that out takes some time. Especially when you're understaffed. While I'm unfortunately not in a position to help out, I won't complain about a few days delay.
Benni123
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gentoo devs would better care about their live CDs (which do still not work on my IBM T61 Laptop) or their buggy installer. A working Live CD can be essential.

Debian has survived a long time with it beiing known as supporting only rather old software. KDE4 should wait unless it is in a stage where one can work professionally with it. And it has certeinly not reached such a stage yet.

I do not see which function of KDE4 would be necessary to work that KDE3 has not. KDE4.1 has even less features than KDE3. So why should a software with less features be supportet by a professional distro?
L4in
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://overlays.gentoo.org/
Quote:
Welcome to Gentoo Overlays, a social workspace to allow Gentoo projects, developers and users to collaborate together on tomorrow's Gentoo packages.

So overlays are not just for user's convenience to use the cutting edge software but also for packages to enter in main tree tested and stable.
Of course that is not the case when those who maintain the overlays actually keep out all except a few people (surely not their official supporters) for their own reasons.

Anyway none is gonna tell what people should do with their free time but things must be done and decide which package manager is the official one.
Those who do not want to support portage anymore can move on with their own stuff and have fun outside of official barriers, no hard feelings etc etc but the rest project must move on also and make new recruits.
Well you know that's why the so-called management exists
dleverton
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L4in wrote:
Of course that is not the case when those who maintain the overlays actually keep out all except a few people

Who's maintaining an overlay and keeping out all except a few people?

L4in wrote:
Those who do not want to support portage anymore can move on with their own stuff

Who says that anyone doesn't want to support portage anymore?
Sh4doW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Well, bitching about some piece of software just released 2 days ago will most certainly not help Gentoo. Gentoo doesn't only provide the heavy vanilla packages, it provides them split up in smaller units, and sorting that out takes some time. Especially when you're understaffed. While I'm unfortunately not in a position to help out, I won't complain about a few days delay.

+1.

I'm running (mostly) stable home server and unstable/experimental/other desktop + laptop for years now. For a while I used to think as you do _puck_ - everything should be in the main tree (as it once was). Why bother with this-and-that overlay if main tree can handle it all?

To make a long story short ... as I see it now, most cutting edge software that I use is at the moment maintained in overlays. If you can't make your own ebuilds, you can either use them or wait for stable packages in main tree.
szensz-siempre
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Enough moaning, KDE4.1 is available for gentoo Reply with quote

Like most on this forum I have been popping in every day since the release of KDE4.1 to see if it has been introduced into portage. I too like and want to have the latest software. However, I am willing to be patient because I have faith that the devs will put it in when they feel it is ready. If I think I know better I have the option of bringing it in from the overlay.

The main argument here seems to be: I (user) want KDE4.1, so I think that YOU (dev) must put it in portage NOW. It is not fair that YOU (dev) spend your time working on what YOU want for free when I want YOU to work on something else.

IMO some distros have the problem that they dictate available options (which some users don't mind seeing as they get KDE4.1 on release day), others like gentoo have the problem (challenge) of trying to make everyone happy (different versions of package managers, official portage as well as overlays - from which those complaining could easily get KDE4.1). I guess the gentoo community is slowing down because it is tired, like a mother hen with too many chicks that sit with beaks wide open refusing to pick up the grain scattered around them and wanting to be beak (hand) fed according to their dictates. I strongly believe that if anyone wants to help they can, perhaps not becoming part of the inner circle of developers straight away, but working in submitting ebuilds, helping in the forums and bugzilla, writing documentation, etc. Gentoo will never survive if it is not a collaborating community. It is not understaffing and slow releases that is hurting gentoo but politics and bickering like I see in this forum. If you want to contribute and help, then do it, don't wait around for a title, contribute and help others.

Personally, I am a user and not a developer or tinkerer. I want the reassurance that when I emerge a package it will work and not break my system. I want a system that even though it includes the latest eye-candy is stable. I use my laptop for work everyday and cannot afford to take a couple of hours out to fix dependency issues, broken packages, and failed emerges. As such I am willing to wait till KDE4.1 is in portage, trusting that it will have been sufficiently tested for my arch that I won't have too many problems.

Ultimately the strength of gentoo is going to lie in whether users, developers, testers, and tinkerers can work together with a shared appreciation of each others needs and concerns, and a willingness to be supportive. I don't feel the need to use another distro because I don't have KDE4.1 as quickly as they do (Once again you can have it earlier than most other distros through overlays), the only time I have gotten discouraged is when I have posted for help on the forums and not gotten any answer.

In conclusion, I will continue waiting in anticipation for KDE4.1 to be released in portage because I choose not to get it from an overlay. I commend the devs for their hard work, encourage them to listen to users, and appreciate that it is their time they are giving to us. And I encourage the community to work symbiotically to reawaken the "glory days" of gentoo.
_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Enough moaning, KDE4.1 is available for gentoo Reply with quote

szensz-siempre wrote:

The main argument here seems to be: I (user) want KDE4.1, so I think that YOU (dev) must put it in portage NOW. It is not fair that YOU (dev) spend your time working on what YOU want for free when I want YOU to work on something else.

I have KDE 4.1 and use it, it is not that I beg for inclusion or demand that. I can help myself. I just wanted to point out some - upcoming - drawbacks of gentoo, which I don't like to see.

I think to gain popularity, credits, strengthen the userbase and attract more active community members (which maybe become developers) it could be a wise move for gentoo to address this issue and get ebuilds early in the _unstable_ tree.

szensz-siempre wrote:

In conclusion, I will continue waiting in anticipation for KDE4.1 to be released in portage because I choose not to get it from an overlay.

But I agree with you on that point. I don't want to use overlays, they are imho crap. I like the main tree and think this is were the hardening and debugging process should take place, preventing the fragmentation and delays Carlo mentioned earlier in this thread. If it would be a experimental tree beside stable and unstable fine, I could live with that, it could even be synced separate.

I want my ebuilds out of a trusted source and I think delaying popular releases is bad for the userbase which are typical the nerds and geeks who "want it right now".
_puck_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:

Why is it absolutly necessary to split them up. I don't understand that policy change. Now it takes even longer to compile the whole KDE Desktop. Most people do want all of that or don't care because disk is cheap. In the past there were two releases. One as the original Project intended it and one as split up ebuilds. Everyone could have what fits best.

Also the point when someone assumes something is not stable yet. The KDE Team made a release (and said it is stable and KDE4.2 will have the configuration options back), so they get the bad credit for the bugs not fixed. If noone uses it, there will be no bugreports.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: