View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this link is applicable to the situation. The following sentence more particular

Quote:
Some charge that Gentoo's community is dysfunctional, and that, in any case, it's made up of people with too much time on their hands.

On-topic, i've got kde-svn installed ona pentium2 thinkpad and working very-well. Didn't install the full meta, just upgraded the custom3.5.9 install i had.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Public annoucement by the Gentoo Council.
There is nothing more to add to the topic unless the people in question wish to say something.

Please don't add further speculation to this thread.

Split off two other posts to topic 704621. Please keep this thread on topic.
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a post on PlanetGentoo about KDE 4.1 Gentoo Ebuilds by cryos. Makes an intresting read in my opinion. ;)

KDE 4.1 Gentoo Ebuilds
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

de-slot kde just to be compliant to a bad standard that most users even never heard of?

great idea - not.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
ibins
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.cryos.net/ wrote:

My vision is for a default in-tree KDE that installs into the normal FHS tree as Gnome, Qt 4, XOrg etc do

this guy has never read the FHS:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html wrote:

Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the /usr hierarchy.
An exception is made for the X Window System because of considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.

neighter Gnome nor Qt 4 are using a "normal FHS tree" and using "/usr/kde/4" or "/usr/kde4" will not make the installation "more compliant" to FHS than "/usr/kde/3.5" did.

energyman76b wrote:

de-slot kde just to be compliant to a bad standard that most users even never heard of?

de-slot kde just for nothing 8O

This means that you will not be able to slot multiple minor versions of KDE such as 4.1 and 4.2 together.

this means that we will not be able to slot multiple MAJOR versions of KDE such as 4.x and 5.x together, without throwing the FHS compliants away
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:

great idea - not.

If you read the blog entry...
Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
It will make maintenance of external KDE packages simpler as everything will be in the same tree.

energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and that I really don't believe. Why should it be 'easier'?

as a fun fact, I have seen enough apps fall apart after a kde update so the 'so apps always link against latest kdelibs' argument is bogus at best.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
as a fun fact, I have seen enough apps fall apart after a kde update so the 'so apps always link against latest kdelibs' argument is bogus at best.

Mmmh! Never happened to me but I'm only using KDE-4.x since five months or so. *shrugs*
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
and that I really don't believe. Why should it be 'easier'?

From what I remember reading, the KDE devs put in a lot of work to design the new KDE4 libraries to make sure stuff does not break between releases.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibins wrote:

My vision is for a default in-tree KDE that installs into the normal FHS tree as Gnome, Qt 4, XOrg etc do

Large software packages must not use a direct subdirectory under the /usr hierarchy.
An exception is made for the X Window System because of considerable precedent and widely-accepted practice.

Did you spot the must not use part of that sentence and the fact that the X Windows System is a special exception? I have read and understood the FHS spec thank you. I have worked on various packages in Gentoo, including KDE for much of the KDE 3 release series. Some of those explosions you remember where ABI stability didn't help were caused by GCC not maintaining the C++ ABI - totally external to KDE. They would hit whether minor slotting was used or not.
ibins wrote:

neighter Gnome nor Qt 4 are using a "normal FHS tree" and using "/usr/kde/4" or "/usr/kde4" will not make the installation "more compliant" to FHS than "/usr/kde/3.5" did.

I don't think you have understood the proposal A big part of it if you read what I wrote was that the option to install in the KDE prefix (as has been used for some time) will remain and can be activated with a use flag. There are many issues that arise from slotting and I am not sure you would be able to appreciate them unless you had spent quite a bit of time maintaining the packages. Security issues when external KDE packages link against an old version of kdelibs that is no longer maintained for example.
ibins wrote:

energyman76b wrote:

de-slot kde just for nothing 8O

The reasons have been stated already. That was the purpose of the post I made. I can understand being resistant to change but at least do me the courtesy of reading what I wrote and arguing with me about that. It will still be possible to slot KDE for those users that want/need to. The default may be changed.
ibins wrote:

This means that you will not be able to slot multiple minor versions of KDE such as 4.1 and 4.2 together.

this means that we will not be able to slot multiple MAJOR versions of KDE such as 4.x and 5.x together, without throwing the FHS compliants away

You seem to be extrapolating far beyond the facts here. KDE 3 and 4 has been slotted on other distributions with everything installed in /usr, there is absolutely no reason why we cannot do that. Also my blog post clearly stated we intended to keep the option for users to install in a different prefix. It will be activated by a use flag, currently kdeprefix.

I will not reply here again but felt it was important to try make things a little clearer. The details were already in the blog post I made and I don't intend to restate them again. I hope this has helped to make it clearer to you guys. Both the KDE developers and the Qt developers have put a lot of work into making kdelibs ABI and API stable. Since 4.1 they have committed to freezing kdelibs. The kde prefix will still be available as an install option to those people who choose to use it.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cryos wrote:
ibins wrote:

Did you spot the must not use part of that sentence and the fact that the X Windows System is a special exception?

Er to most of us that means /usr/X11, not anything and everything that depends on it.
Quote:
I have read and understood the FHS spec thank you. I have worked on various packages in Gentoo, including KDE for much of the KDE 3 release series. Some of those explosions you remember where ABI stability didn't help were caused by GCC not maintaining the C++ ABI - totally external to KDE. They would hit whether minor slotting was used or not.

That's more of an argument for keeping the existing slotting, since C++ name mangling is intentionally implementation-dependent (however nice the C++ ABI worked out by IBM et al is.)
Quote:
ibins wrote:

I don't think you have understood the proposal A big part of it if you read what I wrote was that the option to install in the KDE prefix (as has been used for some time) will remain and can be activated with a use flag. There are many issues that arise from slotting and I am not sure you would be able to appreciate them unless you had spent quite a bit of time maintaining the packages. Security issues when external KDE packages link against an old version of kdelibs that is no longer maintained for example.

Fine, just don't pretend it's FHS compliant. FWIW I couldn't give a damn whether it was or not, just you seem to be using it as an argument in favour, when it clearly isn't compliant.
Quote:
The reasons have been stated already. That was the purpose of the post I made. I can understand being resistant to change but at least do me the courtesy of reading what I wrote and arguing with me about that. It will still be possible to slot KDE for those users that want/need to. The default may be changed.
KDE 3 and 4 has been slotted on other distributions with everything installed in /usr, there is absolutely no reason why we cannot do that. Also my blog post clearly stated we intended to keep the option for users to install in a different prefix. It will be activated by a use flag, currently kdeprefix.

What other distros do is really a bad thing to take on for Gentoo imo. They aren't source based and have a much easier time. This is why you're seeing hesitance from users, who've heard before how the latest idea is going to make everything shiny wonderful, only for a bug to hit somewhere, and their install to be useless. "You should have backed up" just doesn't cut it.
Quote:
I will not reply here again but felt it was important to try make things a little clearer. The details were already in the blog post I made and I don't intend to restate them again. I hope this has helped to make it clearer to you guys. Both the KDE developers and the Qt developers have put a lot of work into making kdelibs ABI and API stable. Since 4.1 they have committed to freezing kdelibs. The kde prefix will still be available as an install option to those people who choose to use it.

And coders never fsck up? Don't get me wrong, I love KDE, under Gentoo more so than anywhere, and if you need this to make your lives easier I'm for it. The other reasons don't fly though, not imo. Oh but you're not going to answer, since "now Gentoo development happens in blogs".. Seriously man, take a break and if you don't want to explain stuff, don't post to your blog inviting comments when you're already close to burning out.
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I sometimes despair of how this community talks to one another. Why does everyone have to bitch around when trying to make a point? There is no respect for different opinions and there is no respect for the ones that do the work. If someone disagrees with me or doesn't do what I think is best, most certainly has to be a fucking idiot! Right?

It is so frustrating to follow any discussion because of these patterns!

I have to admit that I don't understand all the technical merits of this debate, all I know is that I can live with both, slotted or not, and that it's the devs decision which way to go since they will have to do the work. But why is it so hard to treat each other with some decency? :evil:
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I totally agree. The community got itself into an endless cycle:
  1. A group of "pseudo-intellectuals" criticize the devs, devs try to answer them. "Idiots" join in with criticism without actually reading.
  2. Devs are annoyed and don't want to spend any more time arguing with these two groups of people.
  3. Another group of users wants to know what's happening; flaming of the devs ensues. The devs choose to stay out; they are accused of being in an "ivory tower."
  4. Eventually a dev decides to risk giving out some information.
  5. Back to step 1.

Seriously guys if you have nothing good or constructive to say, don't say it just for the sake of increasing your post-count phallus one.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the dev was being rude, so I called him on it. From his blog post he sounded like he was close to burning out: "I am quite honestly exhausted discussing why this is or is not a good idea" yet he's apparently seeking the exact same: "I am certainly open to opinions. It would be good to get wider feedback from the community on which direction they would like to go in and why." That doesn't excuse his tone ("Did you spot the must not use part of that sentence and the fact that the X Windows System is a special exception?")

The fact that the argument given is false (since that applies to /usr/X11 and not the rest of the GUI apps that might depend on it) had already been reasonably pointed out and he got defensively aggressive, instead of just admitting it was crap. That's why I called him on it, and I'd do it again. (Not that I need your permission, just explaining my reasons.)
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I thought the dev was being rude, so I called him on it.

Talking about rude, did you read the posts of energyman76b and ibins? This is where the flames started imho.

steveL wrote:
From his blog post he sounded like he was close to burning out: "I am quite honestly exhausted discussing why this is or is not a good idea" yet he's apparently seeking the exact same: "I am certainly open to opinions. It would be good to get wider feedback from the community on which direction they would like to go in and why." That doesn't excuse his tone ("Did you spot the must not use part of that sentence and the fact that the X Windows System is a special exception?")

Making wild assumptions about burnout seems quite cocky to me, since all that cryos said was that he is tired of discussing said topic. Nothing more and nothing less! Nevertheless he still wanted to hear some user comments to see what people think even if it won't change the decision that has been made already. To see how constructive comments look like, you could just take a look at the posts right here ( until post #16).

steveL wrote:
The fact that the argument given is false (since that applies to /usr/X11 and not the rest of the GUI apps that might depend on it) had already been reasonably pointed out...

Since I don't know enough about the technical stuff lets see what others in the comments have to say about that:
* "I agree with you on the FHS" (Donnie Berkholz)
* "Also, good riddance to the kde prefix in /usr!" (Gentoo User #31415)"
* "And I think it is good to adhere to FHS wherever possible." (Andreas Nilsson)
The point I'm trying to make is that obviously quite a bunch of peeps agree with cryos while others, like yourself, seem to disagree. So calling it a fact is preterm imo.

And calling post like this one ...
ibins wrote:
this guy has never read the FHS
...reasonable is just ridiculous.

steveL wrote:
...and he got defensively aggressive, instead of just admitting it was crap. That's why I called him on it, and I'd do it again. (Not that I need your permission, just explaining my reasons.)

Perhaps you just didn't understand correctly what he meant? Perhaps neither of you is completely right nor wrong? But since you reacted the way you did, you will most probably never find out because it just kills any motivation for explanations. Of course you are entitled to have your personal opinion and as long as you don't get too dirty you can post your opinion as much as you want on Gentoo servers, but the attitude you have shown in these posts, is exactly what pulls this community down.

PS: Next time cryos has something to say, he will probably think twice before making a public post to keep us informed.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL, I never meant to criticize you personally, rather the group in general - some are better, others are worse. I know you made a lot of useful contributions that benefited everyone.

However, since you are willing to discuss this, I'd like to ask you this:

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by admitting that the FHS argument "was crap"?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
What exactly are you hoping to accomplish by admitting that the FHS argument "was crap"?

Well that was after i got defensive, so the language doesn't fill me with pride, but simply this: if cryon had said "yeah OK forget the FHS bit, this makes our life easier," there would have been no argument (as I mentioned above.) In getting unnecessarily aggressive, and imo quite nasty, he merely lived up to the stereotype of Gentoo devs. I don't believe that of him, but I don't know him and have never interacted with him; he just sounds a lot more reasonable in the posts of his that I have read.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nephilim666 wrote:
steveL wrote:
I thought the dev was being rude, so I called him on it.

Talking about rude, did you read the posts of energyman76b and ibins? This is where the flames started imho.

They weren't that polite, no, but they were discussing amongst themselves, and you're forgetting: they're users. Devs are supposed to set an example.
Quote:
steveL wrote:
From his blog post he sounded like he was close to burning out: "I am quite honestly exhausted discussing why this is or is not a good idea" yet he's apparently seeking the exact same: "I am certainly open to opinions. It would be good to get wider feedback from the community on which direction they would like to go in and why." That doesn't excuse his tone ("Did you spot the must not use part of that sentence and the fact that the X Windows System is a special exception?")

Making wild assumptions about burnout seems quite cocky to me, since all that cryos said was that he is tired of discussing said topic.

Read my above post why I gave him the benefit of the doubt.
Quote:
steveL wrote:
The fact that the argument given is false (since that applies to /usr/X11 and not the rest of the GUI apps that might depend on it) had already been reasonably pointed out...

Since I don't know enough about the technical stuff lets see what others in the comments have to say about that:
* "I agree with you on the FHS" (Donnie Berkholz)
* "Also, good riddance to the kde prefix in /usr!" (Gentoo User #31415)"
* "And I think it is good to adhere to FHS wherever possible." (Andreas Nilsson)

Well last guy is misreading the FHS (not sure what Berkholz means) and I for one don't give a damn about it.
Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is that obviously quite a bunch of peeps agree with cryos while others, like yourself, seem to disagree. So calling it a fact is preterm imo.

Hmm; did you spot the must not use part of that sentence? As for the wider issue, as I said in my first post, i don't care about the FHS and if this change makes the devs' lives easier I'm all for it. I don't personally like losing the slotting of 4.2 to 4.3 but I trust they (and the KDE devs) know what they're doing. Further, use of overlays means a lot more testing goes on outside the tree than in, nowadays.
Quote:
steveL wrote:
...and he got defensively aggressive, instead of just admitting it was crap. That's why I called him on it, and I'd do it again. (Not that I need your permission, just explaining my reasons.)

Perhaps you just didn't understand correctly what he meant? Perhaps neither of you is completely right nor wrong? But since you reacted the way you did, you will most probably never find out because it just kills any motivation for explanations.

Actually that kind of nastiness from a dev can kill a person's desire to contribute stone dead. And devs have each other, if they're really feeling that low, or can y'know take a break (if you don't mind me mentioning the option.)
Quote:
Of course you are entitled to have your personal opinion and as long as you don't get too dirty you can post your opinion as much as you want on Gentoo servers, but the attitude you have shown in these posts, is exactly what pulls this community down.

If you say so.
Quote:
PS: Next time cryos has something to say, he will probably think twice before making a public post to keep us informed.
I doubt it; if he wants to blog, he will. You seem to think Gentoo devs are doing this for some altruistic reasons. I sincerely hope you get to keep that belief in your future interaction with Gentoo. I've been reliably informed that a great many of them consider it their own private playground and that users aren't really important. (It's on the dev m-l lest you think I'm making it up. For some reason I have no motivation to find it for you.)
Nephilim666
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you really don't get it, do you? It is just too tiresome for almost anyone to follow any discussions around here or in the ML's because of all this stupid flaming. And I'm not only talking about users but devs alike! This is what really drives people away from contributing, imho.

If you do take a look at the comments in his blog, you will see that he answered any post quite calm and friendly until someone pointed him to the comments in this thread. And if you post on the distros official forum, it's kind of hard to argue that they were "discussing amongst themselves". Naturally he got offended by those posts, so you can hardly blame him more than yourself for loosing his temper.

Also there is no need to patronize me about being naive. I hang out here since 2003 and I know my ways around. I'm also aware of these notions in the devs community but I tell you something. I don't give a fuck! Things work in Gentoo for me better than in any other distribution. Volunteer projects follow their own rules and there are still plenty of responsible devs about that keep things somehow in track. I like the way things work and wouldn't trade it for any other distro even if it means that I cannot yell at someone if things go wrong. After all I'm a freeloader like most of us, only giving back little tiny bits whenever I manage to do so.

Once again, I'm not trying to defend the holy devs from the evil users, but I'm pleading for a more respectful way to talk to each other! And sorry to say but most of the time I see users, not developers, fucking up on that issue.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, everybody take a second to chill out before going on this subject.
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
AM088 wrote:

... if cryon had said "yeah OK forget the FHS bit, this makes our life easier," there would have been no argument ...

So my point is, you accomplish nothing, except for the feeling of superiority that you were right and he was wrong. That has absolutely nothing to do with whether the changes he made are good or not. Let's just leave it at that. :wink:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@AM088: No it's not about feeling superior; the point is not to allow that kind of nastiness to go unchallenged, irrespective of who is doing it. Naturally, most people don't feel that sure about picking up a dev on nastiness, so that tends to go unchallenged which I think is much more damaging; it inculcates a sense of superiority in the devs, and the consquence for community interaction is worse too. If it's ok for devs to be nasty, new users will see that as the accepted norm, or just think "why bother?" IRC channels tend to show this kind of thing much more, but it comes down to the "this is our private playground" attitude; "if you want to play, take some abuse cos we are l337 innit?"

@nephilim: Sorry but that's the second time you've started swearing (first time I hadn't even said anything to you.) If you see this as flaming, maybe you're not as experienced as you claim? (although you do appear to be getting quite heated.) Wrt discussing amongst themselves, I meant they weren't discussing with cryos and telling him to his face how stupid he was, which is exactly what he did (only he got his facts wrong.)
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
... the point is not to allow that kind of nastiness to go unchallenged, irrespective of who is doing it ...

If you believe that by being nasty to nasty people makes them nicer, I'm sorry.
Besides, "nastiness" began with the accusation that Cryos did not read the FHS, so you were "challenging" the wrong person there.

Anyway, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm outta here.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
steveL wrote:
... the point is not to allow that kind of nastiness to go unchallenged, irrespective of who is doing it ...

If you believe that by being nasty to nasty people makes them nicer, I'm sorry.

I don't believe I was nasty, sorry. I was a bit blunt, wrt taking a break, but that was about it.
Quote:
Besides, "nastiness" began with the accusation that Cryos did not read the FHS, so you were "challenging" the wrong person there.

I didn't read it as an "accusation"; it was a flippant remark, not directed disrespectfully to the person's face, and it happened to be true, in the sense that Cryous was completely misinterpreting what the FHS says.
Quote:
Anyway, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Agreed.
cryos
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I lied, I will post a reply to some of the comments but do not intend to get baited into a long discussion on this. I responded to this thread because someone called Volker Armin posted a direct link to the post I replied to, this is a public forum for Gentoo Linux and the people in the thread were stating that I had not read the FHS spec. I would certainly agree that my response was terse but I fail to see where it was rude. I honestly think it was quite polite after the tone the post I was replying to took.

@steveL: If you feel you are on some kind of crusade to call devs on their behaviour but to condone/ignore users poor behaviour then good luck with that. I did not get my facts wrong, they got their's wrong but in all honesty that is quite irrelevant. The way they and Volker went about trying to point it out was just plain rude (behind my back or to my face). I tried to set them straight but did not see the point in writing too much. May be I should qualify future posts with constructive, polite and useful feedback would be appreciated?

In response to your comments on my burnout, they were dead wrong and seem to be total hyperbole. I don't honestly see the point in discussing this with you further as your replies are certainly not what I would consider polite either. Are you exempt from behaving in the way you expect others to behave? What I meant by that comment was that I was tired of explaining things over and over, therefore I made the blog post setting out my current thoughts. I can see where some confusion may have arisen from that sentence and I will try to be clearer in future.

If someone can't read a spec then I will try to correct them. If they are rude then I may be a little terse but I disagree with your assessment that I was rude. I don't think I am some l33t dev, I personally do work on stuff in Gentoo for altruistic reasons. I have limited free time and so I can't always do as much as I would like. I expect people to treat me with respect and in return I will do the same. Remember that most devs are just users who liked Gentoo, thought they could help and chose to give some of their free time to do so - I consider myself one of those people. Over the years I have learnt quite a bit, if I am wrong I will admit I am wrong and if people can discuss this in a constructive and courteous manner I will reciprocate.

I try as much as I can to take into account the opinions of others, and we have worked hard on the KDE ebuilds, keeping options for both the minor slotting and an FHS compliant install. Gentoo does have a policy of trying to follow the FHS where possible (and where it makes sense to) - check out the developer docs. If you can conherently tell me where you think I have misunderstood the FHS and why the FHS install of KDE in the kde-testing overlay is not more in keeping with the standard then please do. I have read the FHS and several related docs, it clearly states that /usr/kde is not allowed, that was my point. Whilst this isn't the end of the world it is a fact and the user in this thread was incorrect and chose to state their incorrect assessment in quite a rude fashion on a public Gentoo forum. I am not 100% if you are agreeing with said person or not to be totally honest.

I work with users and developers in a constructive fashion wherever possible. I try to minimise my interactions with rude developers and users. I am not paid to work on Gentoo and so why should I put up with it? Are you surprised that I did not feel like taking part in a thread where people were being quite rude about the work I choose to do in my spare time? The whole reason I am working on some of these changes is to improve the user experience for more casual users that are not as vocal, the ones that would rather things just worked with a minimum of hassle. I also wanted to be as transparent as possible and felt that making some posts on my blog would help to let people know what was going on. I chose not to censor the rude comments made but will admit to some of them making me wonder why I continue to give up my free time, others did not and filled me with hope ;-)

I would rather you didn't spend your time dissecting my posts trying to find hidden meanings, assessing whether you might be able to accuse me of being rude, or looking for sentences that can be misinterpreted to fit what you would have liked me to have said. Why not simply ask me for clarification rather than making wild assumptions? Why not point out you think someone is wrong in a reasoned way? I don't believe anyone or anything is infallible, including myself. I don't subscribe to being overly polite to everyone in the world and personally think my response was terse and that is it.

It has been refreshing to hear from many other users (and a few developers) who are not so rude and possibly even appreciate the work we are doing. I would have liked to have had KDE 4.1 in on release day, for a number of reasons this was not possible and I didn't want to leave everyone guessing. I personally do hope the attitudes in the Gentoo community improve from both sides and will do what I can to help that along. I am open to constructive criticism and have not claimed to be perfect or have special powers (because I am a dev or otherwsie).

I hope this clears things up a little. I think this particular thread has probably run its course. Apologies to casual observers if I was overly terse but I think most reasonable people would understand my reasons. Now I am going to go back to work, hopefully this evening I will have time to try and iron out any remaining issues so that we can get KDE 4.1 into the tree.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: