Error on boot: INIT: No inittab file found [solved cant fix]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjmars97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Error on boot: INIT: No inittab file found [solved cant fix] Reply with quote

I have been running a gentoo system for a while now without any issues, but after a reboot today, I have started to get strange errors on boot. I seemed to have the problem describe in this post: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-440069.html but recompiling baselayout did not help. I decided that a filesystem check could be helpful, and thus restarted the machine with
Code:
sudo shutdown -Fr now
After the check finished, I now get something worse, in that I cant even get the system up. On boot, it stops at
Code:
Freeing unused kernel memory: 208k freed
INIT: version 2.86 booting
INIT: No inittab file found

Enter runlevel:

I can enter a number, but fails no matter what number I choose:
Code:
Enter renlevel: 3
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

At this point, it locks and I can't do anything else. It seems (obviously) that inittab is missing, but could a disk check cause this? Can I boot to the live CD and copy the inittab from another machine over, or is there something else I should do?

Last edited by rjmars97 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have a corrupt root filesystem. It's rare for a disk check to do this but not unheard of, especially if the filesystem was mounted when checked. It's also possible the real breakage was prior to the reboot and the disk check merely cemented the damage. Either way, the vanished /etc/inittab may be but the first detectable symptom during boot.

I'd boot a LiveCD, mount the root filesystem read-only under /mnt and have a look around. If it looks relatively sound you might try copying in a new /etc/inittab.
rjmars97
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking around the filesystem mounted from the live CD, many things seem to be missing. Both the /etc and /portage folders are not there. So, seems like the filesystem got corrupted... if only I knew how. I did another disk check from the live CD, and it found errors in the Directory Index Table, but fixing them didn't seem to help.

I was using JFS on the partition, which I've been using for a few years now, and this is the first time I've encountered a problem like this, but I suppose all filesystems can get corrupted. My home folder was on a different partition and seems to be unharmed, so not too much of a problem, but a big annoyance when I didn't need one.

Thanks for the help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: