Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
A server for virtualization. VMware? KVM? Virtualbox? other?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drescherjm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will take a look at that.

My gentoo overlay
Instructons for overlay
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Xen if I use para-virtualised hosts. It's crap when using the qemu hypervisor as Windows is too slow.

KVM is great and fast, but as you can't have two hypervisors running at the same time, I either have to boot a kernel with kvm or boot the kernel with Xen. Meaning, you have to choose whether you want to use Xen or KVM permanently. Of course, also the same if you wanted Xen and VMware, for example, or any other.

VMware Server 2.0 RC1 is out, and runs nicely too. It has 32bit and 64 bit versions, compared to the VMware Server 1.x which was only 32 bit client. I can install 32 bit or 64 bit guest OS's.

VMware ESXi I have installed on a system running a Quad Core 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 4 x 500GB HDD's with 32MB cache, connected to a SAS1068 controller capable of Raid5/6 support, etc.

A para-virtualised host in Xen runs faster than VMware ESXi. Both machines are exactly identical hardware, except the SAS1068 versus an Adaptec Serial ATA II RAID 1430SA which shouldn't perform any quicker than the SAS1068 considering the cost comparison.

Hope that helps a bit.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

Linux Systems Limited | Masternode Monitoring
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

satanskin wrote:
It is also based off of Red Hat so it's easy to play with from the console.

It's based on syslinux.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.........

meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianw1974 wrote:

VMware ESXi I have installed on a system running a Quad Core 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 4 x 500GB HDD's with 32MB cache, connected to a SAS1068 controller capable of Raid5/6 support, etc.

Do you know where a list of supported hardware (for the host) can be found?
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meulie wrote:
ianw1974 wrote:

Do you know where a list of supported hardware (for the host) can be found?

I downloaded the ISO, and burnt it and checked out a file in /etc which was listing all the disk controllers that were supported. That was how I found out about the SAS1068 and bought this, albeit quite expensive versus the Adaptec controller I'd originally bought.

That's when I found out it was syslinux, but because of the naming convention of the kernel, I've not dug deep enough to find out exactly what version it is. However, the list I found in the particular file in /etc helped me to get disk access which was the most important. In terms of networking, anything 3COM or Intel Pro 100/1000 for example will work, as I have these in my machines with ESXi.

The hardware compatibility list from VMware's website doesn't list much other than official Dell, HP, etc, hardware. I'll dig out a link and post it here for a community site I found on some people how tested various machines that weren't officially supported in VMwares hardware compatibility guide.

EDIT:

Here's a link that might help:

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm

and this one for some other example whitebox hardware:

http://ictfreak.wordpress.com/2007/01/14/vmware-esx-on-a-whitebox/

meulie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vm-help.com/esx/esx3.5/Whiteboxes_SATA_Controllers_for_ESX_3.5_3i.htm
Quote:
NOTE: this list includes a number of SATA controllers that provide RAID functionily via a software component in the drivers supplied with the controller. Examples would be the Intel ICH series and the nVidia MCP series. ESX 3.5 and ESXi 3.5 do not support that software RAID functionality thus you will only be able to access the individual drives connected to controllers such as these.

So hardware RAID is the only option on this system? Hmm...
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two types of cards you can get. A true hardware raid like the SAS1068 or the software raid type like the Adaptec that I also have. Also known as fake raid, since they're not hardware raid as such. Now, if the file lists a controller that you're looking to get, that is software raid, then you can do it. You wouldn't be able to use software raid like mdadm within VMware ESXi of course. I can't remember the name of the file, but I can find out and put it here when I look at the CD tomorrow in the office.

ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, as promised.

If you open the VMware ESXi iso that you downloaded, you'll see some files. One is called binmod.tgz. You can then open this and go into the /etc/vmware directory and then view the simple.map file. Here is listed a load of files. There was another one you can look at as well, but I've forgotten the name of it. Anyway, this simple.map file lists storage and network controllers.

satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the ESXi documentation with links to all their compatibility info.

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vi_pages/vi_pubs_35_3i_i.html
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one thing to bear in mind with VMware ESXi. There's a VI client to connect to the ESXi machine, and - there's only a Windows version. I tried to get it to work under wine, with no such luck so far. Then again, my system is x86_64 and I don't know if wine+x86_64 is the problem as to why it doesn't work.

satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some links to source code for what appears to be the VI Client. Perhaps it can be ported/compiled under linux. Either way, VMWare annouced at VMWorld 2008 that they will be releasing a linux version of it anyway. So not too much longer.

http://www.vmware.com/download/vi/open_source.html
ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for that. I had been trying to find something before, but was only finding console scripts. Will give these a go on my system tomorrow and see how it works out.

ianw1974
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I downloaded, and it doesn't seem to include anything that relates to VI client. What it looks like is that it wants you to use and compile under RHEL3 to create a VMware ESXi server. I checked the sub-directories and found nothing relating to VI client. Seems it's a modified anaconda interface for installing stuff - so daren't try it in case it does something unpredictable.

Will wait for a Linux client to appear, probably easier :)

LarryLeffa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dusanc wrote:
meulie wrote:
I just had a good idea. Why not install Virtualbox, VMware & KVM on the same host machine, and use the various systems for various guests, depending on which one is best for a guest? 8)

AFAIK it can't be done
Only one active virtualisation per host.

No, it works for months on my AMD-X2 6000+ w/4GB RAM. When booting my gentoo loads the vmxx and vboxdrv modules; the kvm modules are loaded when I've a need for them - but running three VMs at the same time from three different virtualisation-suites is possible as I use this situation in my 'lab' 8)
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for ESX, the lic is one time but pricey in the 2-5K range depending on quantity and features, but then its worth it if you can run 60 servers on 5 8 way blades. Not to mention that alot of enterprise class software is pricier than that. If you want support they do charge a yearly fee, but its not required. We have been running years on ESX, and the V3 Virtual Infrastructure rocks and is well worth it. Its ultra stable and we run production database servers and every other type for that matter, vmotion, drs, ha are all well done. We are in the process of setting up a fail over site location. Once complete we can fail over an entire location within minutes if needed.

I dont know if any other product out there has a vmotion like component as I have not messed with any of the others (never had a need to as ESX has never once caused an issue for us), but being able to move a live running production server from one physical host to another while there are active connections without crashing is simply amazing. ESX truly divorces a production environment from its hardware.

I use the free vmware server on gentoo for testing and we once used it for production in the pre ESX days and found it adequate for any linux or winblows.
Always thirsting.
satanskin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njcwotx wrote:
As for ESX, the lic is one time but pricey in the 2-5K range depending on quantity and features, but then its worth it if you can run 60 servers on 5 8 way blades. Not to mention that alot of enterprise class software is pricier than that. If you want support they do charge a yearly fee, but its not required. We have been running years on ESX, and the V3 Virtual Infrastructure rocks and is well worth it. Its ultra stable and we run production database servers and every other type for that matter, vmotion, drs, ha are all well done. We are in the process of setting up a fail over site location. Once complete we can fail over an entire location within minutes if needed.

I dont know if any other product out there has a vmotion like component as I have not messed with any of the others (never had a need to as ESX has never once caused an issue for us), but being able to move a live running production server from one physical host to another while there are active connections without crashing is simply amazing. ESX truly divorces a production environment from its hardware.

I use the free vmware server on gentoo for testing and we once used it for production in the pre ESX days and found it adequate for any linux or winblows.

You can also get the ESXi which is essentially the free version of ESX just missing a few non-essential features for home/small business use.
Treggats
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using kvm to install gentoo x86-64 in a virtual machine just to migrate when it's all done.
the host is an fedora 9 x86-64 laptop
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bludger wrote:
How does KVM compare to Xen? Do either have the feature where you can swap a virtual machine over to a hot standby in real-time? I understand that vmware can do this.

with Xen you can do a live migration of a guest from one xen server to another without switching it off!

There's also an ebuild for virt-manager in portage which is the gui interface you can get from redhat for xen:

http://virt-manager.org/

Now that's cool! if only I could get xen to work! 8)
Cr0t
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meulie wrote:
ESXi is free nowadays... 8)

ESXi looks promising, although... I am having some trouble finding a list of supported (host) hardware, and whether it can run RAID5 or RAID10, for example...
It's only 32 bit.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0t wrote:
It's only 32 bit.

Perhaps its been upgraded then as this pages tells of 64bit guest operating system support:

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/features.html

Rich
ketjap
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
Cr0t wrote:
It's only 32 bit.

Perhaps its been upgraded then as this pages tells of 64bit guest operating system support:

http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/features.html

Rich

Since the beginning of ESXi it supports 64bit.
ramsesxi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Xen 3.3.0. First with 2.6.18, then 2.6.21, and now 2.6.27.

I have 4 guests on one machine and 2 on another. Live migration, costs, stability and performance is the main reasons till why i choosed Xen.

It was a little bit hard to set up at first, but after creating the first host with stage3 and portage-snapshot. I could make a snapshot of the host and "copy" it to the others. In the end I won a lot of time I think.

No guests run a graphical env, but I have tested it and it works quite well. A friend have also tried to run windows as a guest and was stunned by the fact that i was hard to notice that it was a guest except from the graphics, but I know there are soluitions to "solve" that.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to use Xen, I just feel that Gentoo's support for xen is lacking in both ebuilds and documentation.

Does anyone have any pointers to either?
ramsesxi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article at /. may be interesting

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/05/15/019251
ramsesxi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
I'd like to use Xen, I just feel that Gentoo's support for xen is lacking in both ebuilds and documentation.

Does anyone have any pointers to either?

xen and xen-tools is latest version 3.3. Latest xen kernel is actually 2.6.18, but there are a lot of patches out ther for other distros and kernels.

Edit: I forgot to mention that latest kernels support Xen, but in a little bit different way. End edit

Why "reinvent the wheel"?
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HowTos

This is not updated, but it is a good helper.
http://code.google.com/p/seed-linux/wiki/HowToCreateAXenImage

Same with this:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Xen

Last edited by ramsesxi on Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: