View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: ~CONRAD~ Stage 3 on 87 "Drei/Tres/3" INSTALL DOC | Reply with quote

in loving memory of Cory, aka vipernicus
=~~-~~=
Join #conrad and #zen-sources on irc.freenode.org!

CONRAD
Stage 3 on 87 | RELEASE #4.1 "OoooOOOooo!"

NOT Supported or endorsed by the Gentoo Foundation, inc. in any way. Do not file bugs on bugs.gentoo.org
=~~-~~=
RELEASE #4.1
* The best way to install gentoo around *
~ Becoming concrete fashion all DIY ~
=~~-~~=
ABOUT
=~~-~~=

This is the best install guide in town

=~~-~~=
By: cheater-conrad (aka Brandon)
Named for: Puppy Conrad (Now BIG conrad), my avatar is drawn from an ACTUAL photo of CONRAD
=~~-~~=
READ - ME - FIRST
hi
=~~-~~=
Notes: You can safely assume that 'x' in 'hdx' is a drive letter throughout this guide. Example: 'hdx = hda or hdb'

[-1-] - Choosing a LiveCD
There are ONE/UNO/EINS (1) choices, don't get confused. This is for X86 AND X86_64 Users, one cd fits all!.

1.1 - System Rescue CD
NOTE: This LiveCD is for ALL users (x86 and x86_64).
NOTE2: My particular install was using the 1.0.3 version of the sysrescuecd, i suggest the latest version available
Download:
Quote:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

1.2 - Burn the CD and Boot it up
If you are incapable of performing this task, it is strongly advisable that you do not attempt this installation

[-2-] - Preparing Your Network

2.1 - Check For Internet Connection
Quick test:
Code:
# ping http://google.com

If no ping,
Code:
# net-setup eth0/1/2/3

[-3-] - (Optional, Not for SATA users) Using HDPARM
NOTE: sata users can use sdparm, but i've never used it and the commands are probably different.

3.1 - View Hard Disk Configuration
This is important so we know exacty what options to set, if you get confused please do skip this step.
We must know the configuration to know what options to set.
Code:
# hdparm -i /dev/hdx

3.2 - Some of our options
These are some of our options I'm going to personally set, these will change on your configuration (hdparm -i)
I don't expect you to enable every single one, you don't have to, but you can if you would like, btw
DO NOT THINK YOU HAVE TO ENABLE EVERY ONE OF THESE SETTINGS! Most people will not/should not!
* After we set this up, make sure you add these options to /etc/conf.d/hdparm (Explained later in the guide)
* -a1024 = sets read_ahead buffer to 1024 bytes
* -a256 = default read_ahead_buffer
* -c1 = sets io support to 32bit (most commonly supported)
* -c3 = sets io support to 32bit with sync, if -c1 gives you problems, this is an alternitive, but will be slightly slower.
* -c0/2 = set io support to 16bit, if your hdd does not support 32bit
* -d1 = turn on dma
* -m16 = sets multile buffers count to 16 (my hd max. find it using hdparm -i)
* -A1 = enables read-lookahead
non-laptops:
* -M254 = change the acoustic management, 254 is the maximum for speed, 128 is the quiet, you can choose anything in between <-- will increase power usage
laptops?:
* -B1 = enable full power management, 255 turns it completely off, you can choose any number between 1-255

3.3 - Test Hard Disk Speed

Code:
hdparm -tT /dev/hdx

3.4 - Enhance Hard Disk Performance - Optional

NOTE: THESE ARE ALL OPTIONAL OPTIONS! If you can not understand hdparm -i, do not mis set any options.
First option: enabling DMA
We'll do things one at a time, and we'll start by turning on DMA
Code:
hdparm -d1 /dev/hdx

second option: Setting multi sectors
This varies, hdparm -i should read MaxMultiSect, which will specify what you can use. For me, it is 16
Code:
hdparm -m16 /dev/hdx

Third option: Acoustic Management
I'm going to set it to the maximum, 254
Code:
hdparm -M254 /dev/hdx

Fourth option: Power Management
I'm going to turn it down because I don't need to worry about conserving power in my particular case. I'll leave it default
Code:
<no command>

Fifth option: read lookahead
Lets enable it for our purposes
Code:
hdparm -A1 /dev/hda

Sixth option: readahead
You can adjust the amount of readahead buffer with -a
I want it a little bigger than my drive's default (256) so I'll set it up to 1024
don't set this yourself, unless you're sure you know what you're doing!
Code:
hdparm -a1024 /dev/hdx

Seventh option: IO support
Most drives can support 32-bit, if yours doesn't use 16-bit, if yours gives you problem with -c1, try with sync, -c3 (slower), otherwise use 16-bit (default -c0, -c2)
Code:
hdparm -c1 /dev/hdx

Recap: All options we have chosen (These may be crazy, i haven't used hdparm in a long time)
Code:
# hdparm -d1 -c1 -m16 -M254 -A1 -a1024 /dev/hdx

[-4-] - Partitioning
This guide will go about using the following setup:
/dev/hdx1 - boot
/dev/hdx2 - swap
/dev/hdx3 - root
/dev/hdx4 - windows

4.1 - Using Fdisk

Remember that once you have the partition layout, you need to set the type to 82 (Linux Swap) for the swap partition and 83 (Linux) for the root and boot partition. Once you have it setup correctly, hit *w* to write and exit.
Explanations
Swap (suggestions): The swap space should be double the amount of ram you have *** up to 768mb.
e.g. (256mb ram * 512mb swap, 512mb ram * 1gb swap, 768mb ram * 1.5 gb swap)
If you have 1gb of ram, optimal swap is 1gb.
If you have 2gb of ram, optimal swap is 512mb
If you have over 2gb of ram, no swap is reccomended.
Code:
# fdisk /dev/hdx
Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hdx: xxx heads, xx sectors, xxxx cylinders
Units = cylinders of xxxxx * 512 bytes

Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdx1             1        14    158760  83  Linux # boot * about 100 MB
/dev/hdx2            15        49    264600   82  Linux swap # swap * about 512 MB if 2gb ram+, less use 2x the ram size
/dev/hdx3            50        70    2564563   83  Linux # root * remainder of space, unless you dual boot windows
/dev/hdx7            70        90    remainder 07  Windows # windows * remainder of space unless you don't have windows

4.2 - Choosing a filesystem for /
There are multiple filesystems in the linux kernel (and not in the linux kernel) to choose from.
You can be as basic as JFS or you can even run ntfs-3g (fuse). Although i absolutely do not reccomend running ntfs on /, it is possible*
READ THIS!!!
We are only choosing a filesystem for / as per our partition scheme. For /boot there is no point in choosing a journaling filesystem, and no difference will be noticed. This is a lookout for / only, FS for other partitions should be chosed based on the type of data on the partition.
----
JFS
JFS "Journaling File System" is a very basic journaling filesystem. It is probably the oldest journaling filesystem in the linux kernel dating all the way back to 1990, meaning a lot of debugging in between for what would be today a very stable code base.It does not perform well nor is it particularly flashy. I do not know any setups I would reccomend using it with when there are much better all-around options.

XFS
XFS dates back to 1994. It is probably the second oldest journaling filesystem in the linux kernel. XFS is probably the most steady filesystem in the linux kernel. It has a much-debugged rock solid code base. And the performance is greater than ext3, especially with the handling of larger files. XFS is a great choice for the user who never wants to deal with filesystem issues, and also getting pretty good performance.

ext3
Ext3 "Third extended filesystem" is a extension of ext2 "Second extended filesystem". Differences vs. ext2 are (1) Journaling FS support, (2) Online filesystem growth, and (3) H Tree. ext3 does not have very high performance compared to other filesystems, and I would not consider it a good choice when you can get likely better performance on XFS, while also having a much more stable filesystem.

ReiserFS
ReiserFS is a general purpose journaling filesystem, created by Namesys. Reiserfs(3) is complete and feature-filled. It is generalyl considered to have better performance than the filesystems mentioned above. Although reiserfs3 tail packing can have a pretty good performance impact.

Reiser4
Reiser4 is a new reiserfs, built from the ground up. Supposed to handle directories with a large amount of files a lot better, has much more efficient handling of small files, and it has a plugin structure. Reiser4 was and always has been a very good filesystem. However it seems kernel developers wanted to make all kinds of changes for merge in the mainstream kernel, and since then it has been going downhill. I do not reccomend reiser4 as it seems to kill every partition it lands on now, which never happened in the past. Hopefully in the future reiser4 can return to the state it was a couple years+ ago.

ext4
Ext4 "Fourth extended filesystem". Ext4 began as a fork of the ext3 filesystem, but kernel developers wanted to keep ext3 stable, causing the project to become ext4. It has some new features such as extents, and it is backwards compatible (ext3 can mount as ext4) and ext4 can mount as ext3 (unless extents is enabled). Ext4 is now generally stable and will soon lose the title ext4dev next 1 or 2 kernel releases. I reccomend as it probably is among the best in overall performance in the linux kernel, between reiserfs and reiser4 (not in linux kernel).

BTRFS
BTRFS, b--tree filessystem, is still in development, introduced in 2007 by Oracle, has a new design that when more stabilized will probably be the choice of most users, and those operating production servers. Although i am using BTRFS, i do not reccomend it as you will need to re-formate / upon version updates due to changes in the mounting structure.

4.3 - Creating Partitons
Please keep in mind the example partition scheme used throughout the guide.

Making /boot and swap
Code:
# mkfs.ext2 /dev/hdx1
# mkswap /dev/hdx2
# swapon /dev/hdx2

Making /
Generic
I don't feel i need to explain all of these, just some with special notice i'll explain, just run the mkfs of the FS you want, ex. mkfs.xfs, mkfs.ext3, mkfs.reiserfs, mkfs.reiser4, etc.

ext4
Code:
# mke2fs -T ext4 /dev/hdx3

reiser4 with lzo/gzip compression
Code:
LZO:
# mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40,compress=lzo1 /dev/hdx3
GZIP:
# mkfs.reiser4 -o create=ccreg40,compress=gzip1 /dev/hdx3

4.4 - Mounting your hard drives
You may need to specify -t <fsname> depending on the filesystem
Code:
# mount /dev/hdx3 /mnt/gentoo
# mkdir -p /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount /dev/hdx1 /mnt/gentoo/boot

[-5-] - Preparing Chroot

5.1 - *Funtoo* Downloading and Extracting the stage3
We are going to use funtoo ~ stages, they suit every need we have

Funtoo stages go by _date_, so the date downloaded is the newest available at the time of _writing_, i suggest browsing the repo for the latest stage
Download the funtoo stage appropriate from the website shown, using the format shown
i686
Code:
# cd /mnt/gentoo
# wget http://www.funtoo.org/linux/~<ARCH>/funtoo-~<ARCH>-2008.09.06/stage3-~<ARCH>-2008.09.06.tar.bz2
# tar -jxvpf stage3-~<ARCH>-2008.09.06.tar.bz2
# rm stage3-*

(example of wget URL: http://www.funtoo.org/linux/~x86/funtoo-~x86-2008.08.18/stage3-~x86-2008.08.18.tar.bz2)
x64
Code:
# cd /mnt/gentoo
# wget http://www.funtoo.org/linux/~amd64/funtoo-~amd64-2008.10.30/stage3-~amd64-2008.10.30.tar.bz2
# tar -jxvpf stage3-~amd64-2008.10.30.tar.bz2
# rm stage3-*

5.2 - Downloading and Extracting a Portage Snapshot
Code:
# wget http://gentoo.osuosl.org/snapshots/portage-latest.tar.lzma
# tar --lzma -xvf portage-latest.tar.lzma -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

5.3 - Copying resolv.conf
Code:
# cp -L /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/

[-6-] - Preparing New Environment

6.1 - Mounting /proc
Code:
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc

6.2 - Chrooting
Code:
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update; source /etc/profile

6.3 - Check for correct date
Code:
# date
(If incorrect, enter the following in correct format, and please use military time)
# date MMDDhhmmYYYY

6.4 - FUNTOO to GENTOO change
- Basically, funtoo uses it's on git repository which is the same as gentoo's repositories since it tracks them. But paludis will be annoying saying (previously :funtoo, now :gentoo), etc. So we can fix this with a nested for:
Code:
cd /var/db/pkg
for a in `ls`; do for b in `ls $a`;do c=`cat $a/$b/repository | sed 's/funtoo/gentoo/'`; echo $c > $a/$b/repository; done; done
cd /

[-7-] - Preparing For Installation

7.1 - Install paludis
Since R4, paludis is the only option
Please consult http://paludis.pioto.org/overview/gettingstarted.html before continuing
---
(1) Downloading the portage2paludis script

Code:
# wget http://omploader.org/vdzNx -O portage2paludis.sh
# chmod +x portage2paludis.sh

(2) Run portage2paludis
We will do this now
Code:
# ./portage2paludis.sh

(3) Making directories for paludis
Paludis can not make directories itself for security purposes, we must do it.
Code:
# mkdir -p /var/tmp/paludis/resume-paludis
# mkdir -p /var/cache/paludis/write-cache
# mkdir /var/cache/paludis/names-cache
# mkdir /var/cache/paludis/metadata
# mkdir -p /usr/portage/.cache/names/gentoo/

(4) Emerging paludis
(ruby-bindings = for the playman script, inquisitio for paludis' search tool, pink because it's awesome looking)
Code:
# USE="ruby-bindings pink inquisitio" emerge paludis

(5) Using chown to change ownership to paludisbuild > portage
We need to do this otherwise you'll get warning: disabling userpriv no paludisbuild group, along those lines.
Code:
# chmod  g+wx /var/tmp/paludis
# chown -R paludisbuild:paludisbuild /usr/portage/distfiles
# chown -R paludisbuild:paludisbuild /var/tmp/paludis

(6) Syncing paludis
At this point, if you are using playman to get overlays, it may be necessary to to install git/svn/cvs. I built git without the gtk and perl use flags because i didn't want to install a whole bunch of extra X/perl package, but you can build them if you want. "paludis -i dev-util/git subversion cvs mercurial" <-- command to install most syncers for repos
Code:
# paludis -s

(7) Regenerating cache
Code:
# paludis --regenerate-installable-cache; paludis --regenerate-installed-cache

(8) Paludis usage
* See: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Portage_alternative_-_Paludis for help with usage, also man paludis

7.2 - Configuring paludis
/etc/paludis/environment.conf
Code:
# World - usually symlink to /var/lib/portage/world
world="${ROOT}/var/db/pkg/world"
#
PALUDIS_NO_WRITE_CACHE_CLEAN="yes"
# Disable use descriptions for neatness, resume command is something we want.
PALUDIS_OPTIONS="--show-use-descriptions none --resume-command-template /var/tmp/paludis/resume-paludis/rp-XXXXXX"

/etc/paludis/keywords.conf
Code:
# Place any keywords here, following the following format
# EX: media-libs/swfdec *
#!!!!!!!!!!!! Following line is mandatory for this install!!!!!!!!!!!
*/* x86 ~x86 |~| OR |~| */* amd64 ~amd64

/etc/paludis/package_mask.conf
Code:
# Packages you'd like to mask
# EX: =x11-libs/qt-4.3*

/etc/paludis/package_unmask.conf
Code:
# Packages to unmask
# EX: >=media-video/realplayer-11.0

/etc/paludis/use.conf
Code:
# Use flags
sys-apps/paludis ruby-bindings pink inquisitio
*/* flag1 flag2 -flag3 flag4 etcflag
category/package flag1

7.3 - Getting repositories
We really should get zen-overlay and THE overlay. Not necessary, just strongly reccomended, you can always get other repos you may like such as desktop-effects, etc
Code:
# playman -a zen-overlay; playman -a THE
# paludis -s

7.4 - Configuring bashrc
/etc/paludis/bashrc
Code:
# our bashrc
#CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu" # Change as applicable, ex: i686-pc-linux-gnu
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe" # -fomit-frame-pointer redundant on x86_64, keep for < = i686
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--hash-style=gnu -Wl,-z,-combreloc"

#MAKEOPTS="-j3" # optional

[-8-] - Rebulding the system

8.1 - Setting userlocales

Code:
# nano -w /etc/locale.gen

Example file:
Code:
# This file names the list of locales to be built when glibc is installed.
# The format is <locale>/<charmap>, where <locale> is a locale from the
# /usr/share/i18n/locales directory, and <charmap> is name of one of the files
# in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/. All blank lines and lines starting with # are
# ignored. Here is an example:
# en_US/ISO-8859-1

en_US ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

Code:
# locale-gen

8.2 - Setting your USE flags
THIS WILL add more things to your world rebuild, but don't fret child, you will have everything built the way you want it, for me i have my use flags below, and it turned 95 packages into 116, including some x libraries

For more information on setting use flags, please visit: http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags
http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags
These are mine for a kde/qt based env
/etc/paludis/use.conf
Code:
# Format is category/package: example - sys-apps/paludis
# */* is every package in every category
*/* alsa acpi X kde aim -arts nvidia fbcon ffmpeg firefox firebird gif gpm mplayer mpeg mp3 ncurses opengl pdf php gtk qt qt3 qt4"

I suggest doing this before rebuilding the system for reasons described above ^, if you do it after then you will not have a system built with your use flags.

8.3 - Rebuilding the SYSTEM
This is for purification
Code:
# paludis -i --dl-reinstall always world

8.4 - Setting the timezone
Code:
# rm -rf /etc/localtime
(for me, i'm going to set the US/Eastern timezone)
# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/US/Eastern /etc/localtime

[-9-] - Kernel... zen

9.1 - Looking at the differences between zen and other kernels
-linus
* Mainstream linux kernel, always a safe option. What every OTHER linux kernel is based on
* In gentoo, paludis -i vanilla-sources, for latest stable/rc release

-gentoo
* From linus tarball uploads (no RC releases, less frequent updates when micro releases are made)
* fbcondecor/squashfs
* In gentoo, paludis -i gentoo-sources

-hitchiker
* From linus tarballs (latest micro release, no RC releases)
* -gentoo patches
* Reiser4 (latest release)
* squashfs-lzma (not in zen, it's a dirty hack)
* AUFS

-zen
* Latest linus micro release (stable versions) and Latest from linus' git repo (unstable/rc versions)
* Contains several goodies, including but not limited to genpatches
* V(R)/BFQ/FIFO i/o schedulers
* Reiser4 (Not just the latest release, but homemade and other improvements made, -mm patches, and stable mailing list patches as well)
* LATEST Aufs/Squashfs/unionfs
* LATEST Btrfs / 2.6.28 stable releases backport latest updates in btrfs git repository, and unstable releases follow updates not pulled into linus
* Laptop Friendly (tuxonice, madwifi, aircrack, acpi stuff)
* Latest nilfs2 from mmotm tree
* SLQB Slab allocator
* gentoo/zen/arch logos, mouse polling, nr_tty, tmpfs-root, psx2usb, custom cflags, hz-kconfig, fastboot, compcache, qc-usb, mactel, ipmi sensors, march-native, dm-loop, cko, adbsyn, some others subject to change

9.2 - Using git to install zen-sources (WAY 1 of 2)
Alternative to using git is step 9.3
Git is the preferred reccomendation
Code:
# cd /usr/src
# paludis -i dev-util/git (you will need to set dev-util/git -gtk -perl in use.conf unless you want to install a bunch of junk as dependencies)
# git clone git://zen-sources.org/zen/kernel/zen.git linux-2.6-zen
# ln -s linux-2.6-zen linux
# paludis -i virtual/kernel-sources (IN zen-overlay)

9.3 - Using ebuilds for zen-sources
REQUIRES zen-overlay
playman -a zen-overlay
Code:
# paludis -i zen-sources

9.4 - Configuring and Compiling Kernel
-----
All I can do is tell you how to get started, and what is required.
Code:
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig

Please note none of this menuconfig has changed since the conrad guide of quite awhile ago, so the below information is somewhat outdated, this was just to give you an idea anyways, i don't feel i can tell people what to compile in their kernel since there are tons of hardware possibilities

Below are _guidelines_ for compiling the kernel, and nothing more.

Code:
Required Options...
Code maturity level options --->
  [*] Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers

General setup  --->
  [*] Support for hot-pluggable devices

Loadable Module Support --->
  [*] Module unloading support

Processor type and features --->
  [*] Standard x86 support (Used for amd64/em64t cpus)
  (Change accordingly)
  (Your Processor Family) Processor family
  [*] Symmetric multi-processing support
  # If you have exactly 1GB of memory use the following else just leave it at default.
         Memory Split (3G/1G user/kernel split (for full 1GB Low memory)) ---->

File systems --->
  <*> Your filessytems here
  Pseudo Filesystems --->
    [*] /proc file system support
    [*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)

Device Drivers --->
  ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support --->
    [*] Generic PCI bus-master DMA support
    [*]   Use PCI DMA by default when available
    [ ] SCSI Emulation Support

Device Drivers --->
  Networking support --->
    <*> PPP (point-to-point protocol) support
    <*>   PPP support for async serial ports
    <*>   PPP support for sync tty ports
  100 MBIT/1000 MBIT --->
   (make sure you compile in your proper network driver
   Sound --->
    [*] Sound card support
        Alsa --->
            PCI Cards --->
                 [*] Your Drive

USB Support --->
  <*>   USB Human Interface Device (full HID) support

Device Drivers > Graphics support > Console display driver support:
 [*] Video mode selection support
 <*> Framebuffer Console support

Device Drivers > Graphics support:
 [*] Support for the framebuffer splash

Device Drivers > Block devices:
 <*> RAM disk support
 (4096) Default RAM disk size (kbytes) (NEW)
 [*]   Initial RAM disk (initrd) support

9.5 - Choosing an IO Scheduler
We're going to configure another important aspect in our kernel. Here is a run down of each IO Scheduler.
CFQ/BFQ: Best all-around for desktop performance, including reiser4. If you want to use the others go for it, but I reccomend CFQ
Code:
KERNEL CONFIGURATION
Block Devices > IO Schedulers
 [*] Anticipatory
 [*] Deadline
 [*] CFQ
 [*] BFQ
 [*] V(R)
 (Default = Deadline)

NOTE: CFQ/BFQ are the most fair, anticipatory has the best latency, deadline is better thoroughput, v(r) by far has the most thoroughput depending on how the tunables for it are set

9.6 - Installing Grub
Code:
(make sure the /boot partition is mounted)
# paludis -i grub

9.7 - Compiling the Kernel
If you're not doing the gensplash step
Code:
# make ; make modules_install ; make install

If you are going to setup a gensplash
Code:
# make

9.8 - *Optional* Setting up gensplash
Please carefully follow the instructions under each bold face heading.

(1) Get back into menuconfig sucka
INSTEAD of fighting the uvesa configuration, you can just use vesa and specify vga=
Code:
# make menuconfig

Now, we need to enable the following
Code:
Device Drivers ->
 Graphics support ->
  [*]  Support for frame buffer devices ---->
         <*> Enable Firmware EDID
  ---------------------------
  Device Drivers ->
    Graphics Support ->
        Console display driver support ->
  [*]   Video mode selection support
  < >   Framebuffer Console support

(2) USE="x86emu"
This is optional, but for some people v86d segfaults unless this use flag is set
Code:
# echo "sys-apps/v86d x86emu" >> /etc/paludis/use.conf

(3) install klibc and v86d for uvesafb
Code:
# paludis -i klibc v86d

(4) Configuring the kernel (again)
We need to enable all of the following.
Code:
Device Drivers ->
 <*>   Connector - unified userspace <-> kernelspace linker  --->
 Graphics support ->
  <*>   Userspace VESA VGA graphics support

Code:
General Setup ->
 [*] Initial RAM filesystem and RAM disk (initramfs/initrd) support
 (/usr/share/v86d/initramfs) Initramfs source file(s)

Code:

Console display driver support --->
          [*] Video mode selection support
          <*> Framebuffer Console support
          [*] Support for the Framebuffer Console Decorations

(5) Building the kernel and installing it
Code:
# make; make modules_install; make install

(6) Emerging splashutils and themes
Code:
# echo "media-gfx/splashutils fbcondecor" >> /etc/paludis/use.conf
# paludis -i splashutils splash-themes-gentoo splash-themes-livecd

(7) Creating an initramfs image
Apparently widescreen resolutions don't work, and on top of that the biggest possible resolution is 1280x1024, that sucks
Code:
# cd /etc/splash
(obviously change your resolution)
# splash_geninitramfs -g /boot/fbsplash-livecd-2007.0 -r 1280x1024 -v livecd-2007.0

Once you get to grub.conf setup the rest is described

[-10-] - Installing Additional System Files

10.1 - Installing Services and Tools
NOTE: you do not need all of these, but they are certainly reccomened and most people need dhcpcd, and if you need the tools for your file system (reiser4progs if you used reiser4), and gentoolkit has a lot of neat stuff, etc.

Code:

# paludis -i syslog-ng sysfsutils acpid dhcpcd gentoolkit slocate vixie-cron

install the FS progs you need (e2fsprogs is part of the system profile, and does not need to be installed again)
# paludis -i reiserfsprogs reiser4progs btrfs-progs xfsprogs jfsutils[/code]

10.2 - Adding the programs to the default runlevel
Code:
(first off, for net.eth0)
# ln -s /etc/init.d/net.lo /etc/init.d/net.eth0
# rc-update add syslog-ng default
# rc-update add net.eth0 default
# rc-update add acpid default
# rc-update add gpm default
# rc-update add vixie-cron default
# rc-update add numlock default

NOTE: If you installed additional things you need, such as mdadm like myself, you may also need to add them into the runlevel

10.3 - Setting up NTP
NTP basically sets your time to that of a network server (using your locally configured timezone)
Code:
# echo "net-misc/ntp caps" >> /etc/paludis/use.conf
# paludis -i ntp
# ntpdate -b -u pool.ntp.org
# rc-update add ntpd default
# rc-update add ntp-client default

10.4 - (OPTIONAL) Using NTFS-3g for NTFS filesystems
This is obviously optional, and only needed if you have NTFS filesystems from a windows install or whatever other reason there is to have a ntfs partition.

Follow the following steps for ntfs-3g

(1) Configuring the Kernel
What do want to make sure is set in .config is:
Code:
CONFIG_FUSE_FS=y

You can have regular NTFS in the kernel too, and you can mount it using either fs/driver, specifying either ntfs or ntfs-3g

Obviously rebuild and re-install your kernel if the above setting was not already set

(2) Install

Code:
# paludis -i sys-fs/ntfs3g

(3) Mount a ntfs volume
Mount a ntfs partiton manually with this command:
Code:
# ntfs-3g /dev/hdxy /mnt/ntfsfolderfilesystemetcetc

(4) Example FSTAB line
This are my ntfs-3g fstab lines
Code:
/dev/sdb3      /mnt/windows   ntfs-3g            0 0
/dev/sda1      /mnt/doze      ntfs-3g            0 0

=~~-~~=

Continuation in post 2!
Lost in android development land.

Last edited by cheater1034 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:33 am; edited 82 times in total
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cont'd
=~~-~~=
[-11-] - Configuring and Installing Grub

11.1 - Modifying '/boot/grub/grub.conf'
In grub, hdx1 is (hd0,0), and hdx2 is (hd0,1) and so forth.
Code:
nano -w /boot/grub/grub.conf

# If idle for 15 seconds, boot the default operating system
timeout 30

# Means default is the conrad gentoo installation, set to 1 for windows
default 0

# splash image is nice
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

# Please note that this is not needed, otherwise it will run the default i/o as configured in your kernel
# elevator=deadline/cfq/anticipatory/bfq

title ~Conrad~ Stage3 on 82 | -zen
root (hd0,3)
# No widescreen resolutions, they don't work :(
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-rc8-zen1 root=/dev/md0 video=uvesafb:1280x1024-32@60,ywrap,mtrr splash=silent,theme:livecd-2007.0 quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /boot/fbsplash-livecd-2007.0

title=Winbloze
rootnoverify (hd0,3) # in our demonstrative partitions, windows was on hda4
makeactive
chainloader +1

11.2 - Running grub for installation to MBR
Code:
# grub
<grub:> root (hd0,0) # boot partition
# (hd0) is the MBR of the drive.
<grub:> setup (hd0)
<grub:> quit

[-12-] - Configuring Your System

12.1 - Editing Configuration Files
Replace 'hdx' with the correct drive letter.
Code:
# nano -w /etc/conf.d/hdparm
# lets add all our options as seen previously above. refer back to it if you need to

12.2 - Set Your Hostname and Domainname
Code:
# nano /etc/conf.d/hostname
HOSTNAME="conrad"

Code:
# nano -w /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 conrad localhost

Code:
# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net
dns_domain_lo="domain"
(obviously replace domain with whatever your desired domain name)

12.3 - Editing the /etc/conf.d/net
Code:
# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net

Code:
# DHCP Default Setting
config_eth0=( "dhcp" )

For additional info, refer to '/etc/conf.d/net.example'

12.4 - Configuring FSTAB
NOTE: Reiser4 users must use noatime in the options. If you aren't using reiser4 just ignore this note.
Code:
# nano /etc/fstab
...Change lines 20-23...

Example
Code:
/dev/hdx1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/hdx3                /               reiser4         noatime,nodiratime 0 1
/dev/hdx2               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/hdx4               none            ntfs            ro              0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro       0 0

12.5 - Setting up Users
Note: I don't use users, i always log in as root but i don't reccomend it, shoot me if you wish for disobeying the laws of security.
First set the root password
Code:
# passwd
<enter new password>
<confirm new password>

Then set up a user
Code:
# useradd -m -G users,wheel,audio,video conrad
# passwd conrad
<set conrad password>
<confirm conrad password>

12.6 - Prelinking the system
To get the most out of our system we will run prelink, now that hash style is enabled by default in binutils > 2.17.50xxxxxx, prelinking can make a fairly noticable difference.
Code:
# paludis -i prelink
# prelink -amR

Well golly that was easy!
Time to make this happen consistently to keep the binaries prelinked (in the background)
Code:
# nano /etc/conf.d/prelink
change PRELINKING=""
to PRELINKING="yes"

Then prelink will automatically run in the background, so you don't have to worry about it!

[-13-] - Rebooting System

13.1 - Unmounting and Rebooting
Code:
# exit
# umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo
# reboot

13.2 - Booting New System

Hopefully you'll have a grub menu, and be able boot into your new system.
If you get a kernel panic then check to make sure you configured everything correctly by booting back into the SysrescueCD and checking back your fstab, grub.conf, and if neither of those contains errors the problem probably lies in your kernel configuration.

[-14-] - USE flags and additional configuration

14.1 - Looking at the possible use variables
Code:
# nano -w /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc

Uhh, if you did this way back in step 8.7 then you don't need to do this 8), and your system has already been built with your use flags

14.2 - Setting additionalUSE Flags
Code:
# nano -w /etc/paludis/use.conf
*/* flag1 flag2 flag3.....xv"

For more In-Depth configuration information, consult the Gentoo Handbook

[-15-] - Installing Modular X and a graphical environment

15.1 - Emerging Xorg
Code:
# nano /etc/paludis/use.conf
...Set INPUT_DEVICES and VIDEO_CARDS
EX:
INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nv nvidia vesa"
------
(I find the following to be the best way to get the most complete modular X possible)
------
# paludis -i xorg-x11
# paludis -i xev xdpyinfo xvinfo xset xdriinfo xprop
# paludis -i font-adobe-100dpi font-adobe-75dpi font-adobe-utopia-100dpi font-adobe-utopia-75dpi font-bh-100dpi font-bh-75dpi font-bh-type1 font-bh-lucidatypewriter-100dpi font-bh-lucidatypewriter-75dpi font-bitstream-100dpi font-bitstream-75dpi ttf-bitstream-vera corefonts freefonts font-ibm-type1

15.2 - Getting an xorg.conf setup
You should be able to do this on your own.
Code:
# xorgconfig

or
Code:
# X -configure

15.3 - Installing a DE+WM
There are multiple DEs/WMs, i reccomend kde

Code:
# paludis -i kde-meta

...or install the ligher alternative, starting with kdebase-startkde

15.4 - Compiz SVN
First, we need to get the desktop-effects overlay.
Code:
# playman -a desktop-effects; paludis -s x-desktop-effects

/etc/paludis/keywords.conf
Code:
dev-python/compizconfig-python *
x11-apps/ccsm *
x11-apps/fusion-icon *
x11-libs/compiz-bcop *
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf *
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig *
x11-libs/libcompizconfig *
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra *
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-main *
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported *
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-wallpaper *
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-freewins *
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-ghost *
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-screensaver *
x11-themes/emerald-themes *
x11-wm/compiz *
x11-wm/compiz-fusion *
x11-wm/emerald *

/etc/paludis/package_unmask.conf
Code:
x11-wm/compiz:0
x11-wm/compiz-fusion:0
x11-wm/emerald:0
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig:0
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-extra:0
x11-apps/ccsm:0
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-main:0
x11-libs/compiz-bcop:0
dev-python/compizconfig-python:0
x11-libs/libcompizconfig:0
x11-themes/emerald-themes:0

Code:
# paludis -i compiz-fusion fusion-icon

Autostarting with kde
Code:
# ln -s /usr/bin/fusion-icon ~/.kde/Autostart/fusion-icon
(please note, for kdesvn, .kde will be .kdesvn, for kde4 from portage, .kde will be .kde4)

Autostarting with gnome
To do this, load up gnome, and on the top bar go to System -> Preferences -> Sessions and click on "Add"
Then make the command: fusion-icon &, and that will autostart it every time gnome is loaded

15.5 - Graphics Drivers
If you have 3D acceleration on your card, you should install the nvidia or ati drivers.
NVIDIA: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_nVidia_Drivers
ATI: http://www.gentoo-wiki.com/Ati

=~~-~~=

~END~

-CC

Last edited by cheater1034 on Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:05 am; edited 17 times in total
thoffmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweetness, I will have to try this and let you know how it goes soon.. sometime.. I'm downloading the cd.. so hopefully later today I will do it and let you know my experiences.

Join us on IRC
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #conrad
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe"

when using gcc-4.3.1, this is pretty conservative and also doesn't foster all of core2 duo's performance:

use -march=core2 or -mtune=nocona -msse3 -mssse3 instead

:wink:

there are also up-to-date stage3, 2 and 1 tarballs from daniel robbins (the creator of gentoo):

http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/06/stages-back.html
http://www.funtoo.org/linux/

dunno if they're already using gcc-4.3.1 or not ...

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
unK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kernelOfTruth wrote:
Code:

when using gcc-4.3.1, this is pretty conservative and also doesn't foster all of core2 duo's performance:

I think best option is to use -march=native, as it recognizes your processor type and sets all -msse* things for you.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unK wrote:
kernelOfTruth wrote:
Code:

I think best option is to use -march=native, as it recognizes your processor type and sets all -msse* things for you.

indeed:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4402700.html?sid=031a32cd225931be0b32a250e7897f97#4402700

warrens
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, another stage 1 guide for our favorite distro :!: :D Two DOCUMENTED choices for building from stage 1, Conrad and Fiordland. Just awesome :D

DON'T TREAD ON ME!!!

My Bias #1
The best government is the government that governs least.
Mr. Tao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide. Brings some sentiment remembering when I installed some of my early setups with Flying colors :). btw: I think that bootstraping new system is also great opportunity to try paludis. It's quite easy as I briefly summed here. greatly easing future maintenance (not to mention new KDE4 overlay kdebuild-1 EAPI support :)).
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the suggestion of -march=native.

I've been out of the loop for so long, no one has informed me of such 8)

btw, i had -msse3, i just didn't put it up there for some reason.
-----
But, wow. I never thought i'd be getting criticized for being too conservative lol

Thanks, looks like i got a good first 6 responses, btw this is nothing like flying colors and should be referred to as such :twisted:

This is all DIY too, you can add whatever you want if you know what you're doing (LDFLAGs, paludis, etc).

btw, while i'm at work i'm going to run emerge -e world with native lol, even though there's 580 packages.

Anyways, enjoy it, i'm happy because i for once know everything works 8)
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/dev

should be

Code:
umount /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc /mnt/gentoo/dev /mnt/gentoo

Quote:
We're going to configure another important aspect in our kernel. Here is a run down of each IO Scheduler.
CFQ: Best all-around for desktop performance, including reiser4. If you want to use the others go for it, but CG now reccomends CFQ
Code:
KERNEL CONFIGURATION
Block Devices > IO Schedulers
[*] Anticipatory
[*] Deadline
[*] CFQ
[*] BFQ
(Default = CFQ)

NOTE: To test different IO Schedulers, you can use 'elevator=' boot parameter in Grub (Example: elevator=deadline) I Reccomend CFQ for ALL ext* file systems.

if you REALLY want performance I'd recommend AGAINST CFQ & BFQ atm:
in certain hardware confirgurations the throughput is cut by half:

cfq has worse io-throughput on certain hardware than deadline, as, noop (50-75%)
there's also a thread over @lkml:

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/10/71
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/11/48

in fact it's not a regression, it's a bug which (seemingly) has been there for a very long time, the scheduler seems to be not the only one involved ...

you can do some testing via
Code:
hdparm -t /dev/foo

if you don't get abysmal performance keep on using bfq [or the elder cfq] (since that's definitely the best one in terms of performance and interactivity)

thoffmeyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome new guide Conrad, besides some minor typos and old configs.. I did it here on amd64.. and its blazing fast as im on my desktop at the moment.. Love it, fastest yet.

Join us on IRC
Server: irc.freenode.net
Channel: #conrad
Non_E
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello cheater1034,

thanks for the howto. I am going to test it.
infinitycircuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this straight out of a SystemRescueCD 1.0.3:

1) tar doesn't have a --lzma switch for me. I had to:
Code:
unlzma portage-latest.tar.bz2
tar -cxf portage-latest.tar -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

2) It wouldn't bootstrap with -march=native, so I had to use the specific call for my architecture.

Thanks!
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is bootrstrapping supposed to work with -march=native? AFAIK the installation starts out with gcc-4.1.2 -- but -march=native is only supported in gcc:4.2 and above.

So I guess you would have to use your specific -march that is supported in gcc-4.1.2, upgrade to >=gcc-4.2.3 and change -march to native and then finally and optionally re-emerge gcc, glibc et al. Could've done that with a stage3 tarball just as well.

Or am I missing something? I don't actually know what boostrap.sh exactly does. Not for ignorance, rather for a lack of understanding of bash (if it even is bash ;)).

Last edited by zyko on Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
infinitycircuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also...shouldn't the locales step 8.2 be before 8.1? I am bootstrapping and going through 381 locales as we speak.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zyko wrote:
How is bootrstrapping supposed to work with -march=native? AFAIK the installation starts out with gcc-4.1.2 -- but -march=native is only supported in gcc:4.2 and above.

It doesn't, it's a fixed mistake on my part ;)

[qupte]So I guess you would have to use your specific -march that is supported in gcc-4.1.2, upgrade to >=gcc-4.2.3 and change -march to native and then finally and optionally re-emerge gcc, glibc et al. Could've done that with a stage3 tarball just as well.[/quote]
Bootstrapping is an un-necessary step, it's more for the sense of accomplishment/stage1 :lol: because after you run bootstrap.sh you do a manual bootstrap with ~x86 (as the bootstrap script + ~x86 = FAIL)

And yes you could have, it's much easier to build a ~x86 system from a stage1 or 2, and it makes a lot more sense. I said no one question the stage1/2 choice.

Why is everyone into re-building stage3's? There's no point to download a stage3 if you emerge -e system on it. The original stage1/3 idea (lolz) was a joke IMO, it took longer than a stage1 or a stage2 install to achieve the same result. And it still hasn't changed.

Quote:
Or am I missing something? I don't actually know what boostrap.sh exactly does. Not for ignorance, rather for a lack of understanding of bash (if it even is bash ;)).

bootstrap builds the toolkit, however it doesn't work with ~x86 (i could re-do parts of the bootstrap script myself to make it work, and i probably will and edit the guide in one of the following week so it does work with ~x86, deprecating the idea of a stage2 :D).

That's why this guide can be done with a stage2 ^ and achieve the same result, however like i said i'm revising the bootstrap script to make it work with ~x86.

Meaning, that running ./bootstrap will build the gcc 4.3.1 toolkit, and you can basically go straight to the stage3 (./boostrap.sh && gcc-config 2 && emerge -P gcc & emerge -e system) == the finished product.

This guide is not anything to spectacular at the moment, don't misunderstand me IMO it's the best way to install gentoo that's why i wrote it. using a standard x86 system is too restrictive, as per the handbook (i've NEVER had a problem as a result of ~x86, all i get is newer packages like every other distribution gets). My view is the experimental stuff is not in ~x86, the NEW stuff is in ~x86, the experimental stuff is usually hard masked. And you can not use gcc 4.3/glibc 2.8 because a ton of packages are old/outdated and will fail to build unless you use the NEWER ~x86 versions.

Once i fix the bootstrap script for ~x86/~amd64 hopefully we have some more appeal ;)

infinitycircuit wrote:

Also...shouldn't the locales step 8.2 be before 8.1? I am bootstrapping and going through 381 locales as we speak.

I suppose, but it erases locale.gen after 8.1 so you'd have to do it twice, but i'll look into it.

Thanks for posting about the lzma thing, i guess the newer tar has it? (i hadnt tested it until well after my first boot)
infinitycircuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tar thing still has a few typos... :oops:

Code:
# unlzma portage-latest.tar.bz2
# tar -cxf portage-latest.tar -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

Should be

Code:
# unlzma portage-latest.tar.[b]lzma[/b]
# tar [b]-xf[/b] portage-latest.tar -C /mnt/gentoo/usr

Thanks for clarifying the march=native stuff!
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! Updated to REL 2

A pretty significant change that should make this guide 100x better with the new bootstrap script! See the changelog in the OP for details!

Basically it's now stage1 ONLY, i fixed the bootstrap script and enhanced it, now it works with ~x86 saving time, and it does all the gcc 4.3.1 stuff.

Also, changed to zen-sources from svn, and completely documented how to install kde-svn in portage.
infinitycircuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finished an install, following your guide. However, it doesn't boot.

It goes to check the reiser4 fs for errors, and then it "corrects" them, and then it mounts as rw, and then it hangs on /etc/mtab. I tried to boot system rescue cd and run fsck.reiser4 on the partition, which worked, correcting 12 minor errors. However, the system still won't boot. I think that /etc/mtab needs to be created. I will try some stuff.
cheater1034
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitycircuit wrote:

It goes to check the reiser4 fs for errors, and then it "corrects" them, and then it mounts as rw, and then it hangs on /etc/mtab. I tried to boot system rescue cd and run fsck.reiser4 on the partition, which worked, correcting 12 minor errors. However, the system still won't boot. I think that /etc/mtab needs to be created. I will try some stuff.

the zen-sources release version has had some problems for me with reiser4, but when i upgraded the svn (it has the -mm r4) i had no problems anymore.
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

1. Check out this bug and emerge the patched reiser4progs ebuild: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=195988

2. If it still doesn't work, open up your fstab and remove the notail option from all reiser4 partitions. I don't know why exactly, but notail can cause some trouble sometimes.
infinitycircuit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad news: The good news is that the aforementioned fix solved the problem with reiser4. The bad news is that it still just hangs on "Updating /etc/mtab"...any ideas?
dusanc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reiser4 doesn't have -notail option AFAIK
Oh and nodiratime is a subset of noatime, so it shouldn't be required.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitycircuit wrote:
Good news and bad news: The good news is that the aforementioned fix solved the problem with reiser4. The bad news is that it still just hangs on "Updating /etc/mtab"...any ideas?

you're using openrc, right ?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5068016-highlight-.html?sid=dbeb66fe50c3c969ab771347d0290267

search a little through the openrc-threads might help ...

good luck :)

zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The bad news is that it still just hangs on "Updating /etc/mtab"...any ideas?

Does it say anything or is it just silently croaking?

Quote:
reiser4 doesn't have -notail option AFAIK

That would certainly be a valid explanation why it doesn't work... :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: