Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
unable to compile the latest e1000e driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Cr0t
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 882
Location: USA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: unable to compile the latest e1000e driver Reply with quote

Code:
13:21:40^root@bigboy:~/Files/e1000e-1.1.2/src > make
Makefile:117: *** Linux kernel source not configured - missing autoconf.h.  Stop.

real   0m0.017s
user   0m0.000s
sys   0m0.000s

Any ideas why this fails?
_________________
cya
    ©®0t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 9009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps because you have not configured the Linux kernel sources that it wants to use? Why are you using an out of tree e1000e? There has been mainline support for it for quite a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 2550
Location: In the city of dreaming spires

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your /usr/src/linux and start make (does not have to compile the whole kernel, a few seconds will suffice), so that autoconf.h is generated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5709
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you still need to compile that driver manually and if yes for which kernel versions ?

I haven't noticed any problems with the in-kernel provided driver from 2.6.33 and 2.6.34-rc3*
_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cr0t
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 882
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltago wrote:
Go to your /usr/src/linux and start make (does not have to compile the whole kernel, a few seconds will suffice), so that autoconf.h is generated.
already did that... that's why I don't get it.
_________________
cya
    ©®0t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 5709
Location: Vienna, Austria; Germany; hello world :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0t wrote:
Voltago wrote:
Go to your /usr/src/linux and start make (does not have to compile the whole kernel, a few seconds will suffice), so that autoconf.h is generated.
already did that... that's why I don't get it.


Bummer !

so it seems not to be compatible with the kernel you're using (2.6.33 by chance ?)

try the following:

Quote:
cd /usr/src/linux/include/linux
ln -s ../generated/autoconf.h .
ln -s ../generated/utsrelease.h .

_________________
https://github.com/kernelOfTruth/ZFS-for-SystemRescueCD
2.6.37.2_plus_v1: BFS, CFS,THP,compaction, zcache or TOI
Hardcore Linux user since 2004 :D
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Voltago
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Sep 2003
Posts: 2550
Location: In the city of dreaming spires

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there something like
Code:
make KSRC=/usr/src/your-kernel

to build out-of tree modules? Cr0t, can you post the Makefile you're trying to execute?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 32027
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0t,

In 2.6.33 autoconf.h no longer exists. Borrowing from the nvidia-drivers patch
Code:
-    FILE="linux/autoconf.h"
+    FILE="generated/autoconf.h"
its moved.

Adding a symlink to your kernel tree will probably help but thats a dirty hack.

Whats wrong with the e1000e driver in the kernel ?
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cr0t
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 882
Location: USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Cr0t,

In 2.6.33 autoconf.h no longer exists. Borrowing from the nvidia-drivers patch
Code:
-    FILE="linux/autoconf.h"
+    FILE="generated/autoconf.h"
its moved.

Adding a symlink to your kernel tree will probably help but thats a dirty hack.

Whats wrong with the e1000e driver in the kernel ?
I created a symlink, but during the compile other folders/files can not be found anymore.
_________________
cya
    ©®0t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hu
Watchman
Watchman


Joined: 06 Mar 2007
Posts: 9009

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0t wrote:
I created a symlink, but during the compile other folders/files can not be found anymore.
The number of problems you are seeing suggests the driver you are trying to build has experienced bitrot. You have now been asked twice why you are using the out of tree driver on an apparently very new kernel. If you answer that question, we may be able to suggest a simpler path than trying to force the out-of-tree e1000e driver to fit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cr0t
l33t
l33t


Joined: 27 Apr 2002
Posts: 882
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Cr0t wrote:
I created a symlink, but during the compile other folders/files can not be found anymore.
The number of problems you are seeing suggests the driver you are trying to build has experienced bitrot. You have now been asked twice why you are using the out of tree driver on an apparently very new kernel. If you answer that question, we may be able to suggest a simpler path than trying to force the out-of-tree e1000e driver to fit.
I have been having issues with jumbo packages and driver from sf.net seems to be running a lot better.
_________________
cya
    ©®0t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 05 Jul 2003
Posts: 32027
Location: 56N 3W

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cr0t,

The sf driver is four months old, thats a long time as drivers go and its clearly overdue an update to build with 2.6.33 and later kernels.
The kernel driver will have been developed over that time so please try the 2.6.33 kernel.
_________________
Regards,

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum