View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neysx wrote:
OmSai wrote:
Frogprince wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Should I install the 2008 version, still in Beta, or 2007? I guess that as Gentoo is a rolling distro it'd be easy to update 2007 to 2008. Is this correct?
Use 2007
Don't. Gentoo sucks bad at upgrading old installations. It'd be a real nightmare for you.
Boot gentoo's minimal CD or sysrescue's and use the latest beta or a stage3 from funtoo.

Really? I just did that, and with no problems.

But there was one small problem. Graphical (or console) installation programs didn't work for me on 2007.0 installation DVD. Did the install the old good ways :D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince,

If loading time rather than runtime performance is an issue for you, use -Os in your CFLAGS in place of -O2
-Os optimises for binary size and smaller binaries load faster I use it om my old slow laptop to good effect.

-O2 uses most of the omptimisations that do not deliberately increase code size. It produces larger but faster binaries (generally) the -Os.

Theres lots to play with there

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion there NeddySeagoon, I'll do that. I think I'm gonna print this entire thread before the install - there's a heck of a lot of advice I don't want to forget! But what about this Gnome issue? I'm guessing I'd have to set flags for Kde if I wanted to install K3b, AmaroK and Konqueror as they use Kde libraries. Is this right?
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince wrote:
I'm guessing I'd have to set flags for Kde if I wanted to install K3b, AmaroK and Konqueror as they use Kde libraries. Is this right?

If you don't plan to use KDE, then I advise leaving the kde keyword out. You can install the software without the flag; adding it will only bring a lot of KDE stuff you won't be using. Try emerge -pv k3b amarok konqueror with and without the kde flag to see what it'll bring along. Might be good to try --newuse too.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince,

Not quite. If you choose to emerge a KDE program but normally run GNOME or soem other desktop, everything you need to make your chosen KDE program operate will be pulled in as as dependacy. USE flags select optional features onlt.

e.g. I do not have k3b (I use Gnome) but
Code:
# emerge k3b -vp

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old-0.70  USE="-debug" 216 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/normalize-0.7.7  USE="mad nls -audiofile" 380 kB
[ebuild  N    ] net-misc/mDNSResponder-107.6-r5  USE="doc -debug -java" 1,408 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.9-r4  USE="acl alsa cups doc fam kerberos spell tiff xinerama -arts -avahi -bindist -branding -debug -jpeg2k -kdeenablefinal -kdehiddenvisibility -legacyssl -lua -openexr -utempter" 15,242 kB
[ebuild  N    ] app-cdr/k3b-1.0.4-r1  USE="alsa css dvdr dvdread encode ffmpeg flac hal mp3 sndfile vcd vorbis xinerama -arts -debug -emovix -musepack -musicbrainz" LINGUAS="en_GB -af -ar -bg -br -bs -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -es -et -eu -fa -fi -fr -ga -gl -he -hi -hu -is -it -ja -ka -lt -mk -ms -nb -nds -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ru -rw -se -sk -sr -sr@Latn -sv -ta -tr -uk -uz -zh_CN -zh_TW" 12,400 kB
This shows that I would get kdelibs with the optional support for alsa (sound) cups (printing) doc (documention) fam (??) kerberos (security) spell (spellchecher?) ... on and arts (kde sound daemon) .... off

Try ufed or profuse to set your USE flags. I use ufed but have never tried profuse, so it not a recommendation.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Frogprince,

If loading time rather than runtime performance is an issue for you, use -Os in your CFLAGS in place of -O2
-Os optimises for binary size and smaller binaries load faster I use it om my old slow laptop to good effect.

-O2 uses most of the omptimisations that do not deliberately increase code size. It produces larger but faster binaries (generally) the -Os.

Theres lots to play with there

Does -Os actually work now?
I used to have it set, but almost every package that mattered removed it for -O2 during emerge :(
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He He! This is why I want to try Gentoo! I feel like a kid on his first day at school! I have absolutely no idea what all these different flags (profuse and ufed) do. Do I take it that these are not specifically Kde flags? I don't want to install Gnome if installing AmaroK, Konqueror and K3b will clutter up this lovely fine-tuned Gentoo system with Kde stuff I'll never need. Is this the case?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince,

Provided you have the drive space, adding packages only clutters up your hard drive and increases your maintainece time, as they will get updated from time to time. They have no effect on the performance of your system.

ufed and profuse are programs that you many chose to use to set your use flags. they are not in the stage 3, so you will need to emerge them if you want them.

alsa and oss are two use flags controlling optional sound support. Its not optional everywhere.
If your USE contains alsa, where alsa sound support is optional, it will be added.
If your USE contains oss, where oss sound support is optional, it will be added.

Be aware that Gentoo has default USE settings which are selected by your profile. Thus you choose the profile you want and then use /etc/make.conf to fine tune it.

The best way to learn is to do it and break it. You learn far more fixing a broken install then when you can follow the handbook and it just works. You have to be really talented to mess up a Gentoo install beyond repair.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for the explanation. I *think* I understand! I'm so glad that I didn't come here straight from Ubuntu or (worse) Windows :mrgreen: My experiences with setting up Debian and Archlinux have helped me to understand most of what's going on here: but in neither of these distros do we worry about flags - that's the big difference I think. Now I'm raring to go and looking forward to getting my hands dirty. The Gentoo community really rocks! I'm very impressed!
OmSai
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince,

If you're not installing kde, then don't enable the kde flag in your /etc/make.conf

If you're not keen on using Nautilus, may I suggest Xfce instead of Gnome?
I've found it quite intuitive and it does everything I need of it.
More importantly, Xfce has the option to load Gnome and KDE services, so you can seemlessly use their applications.
I use Amarok and Konqueror, actually.
To enable the services -
Xfce Menu > Settings > Sessions and Startup Settings > Advanced > Launch {Gnome,KDE} Services on Startup

Welcome to Gentoo!
:D
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, XFCE is good - but whenever I've used it before I've found some annoying things and switched back to Fluxbox. I can't remember what those annoying things are, I never do, but after a while using XFCE I re-discover them again...and switch back to Fluxbox! Another possibility is Enlightenment I suppose, but I don't find it that fast. Gentoo sure forces you to think about what you really want! Decisions, decisions...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince,

Gentoo forces you to make for yourself, all the decisions that are made for you by the binary distros when they are put together.
Thats because you really are making your own distro using Gentoo.

The good news is that it need not be right first time. Installing other things may take a lot of CPU time but it wants very little of your own time and you can use what you have while other things install.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Sprotte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has already been said, but just to make it stick:

- Installing even a single KDE program like K3b will pull in the KDE base libs (the fundamental parts of KDE) and QT (the graphical toolkit.) This means that you have half a KDE install anyway, so why not go all the way ;-)

- It is possible to install very light versions of both KDE and Gnome. Many people pick one and try to stick with it, but technically you can have both.

Find out which apps you simply *need*. Then install the desktop environment that satisfies the most important of those needs. Find alternatives for the rest.

Example, if you simply NEED K3b, then you should go for KDE. KDE also includes a very good browser, Konqueror, and an email program, Kmail. Once you installed the KDE base, these are very simple to add. No need for Firefox or Thunderbird then. It's all highly integrated.

Gnome is good, but different. It seems a bit more simplistic while KDE has everything and the kitchen sink. Gnome's graphical toolkit is GTK, which is also used by Firefox/Thunderbird, GIMP, and a number of other standalone apps. GTK is rampant everywhere in the Linux world, more so than QT. Gnome's browsers typically require Firefox (Mozilla) as a base, so you'll just install that anyway. Ubuntu uses Gnome.

You will normally have GTK and/or QT installed anyway, even as a Fluxbox user, because graphical applications commonly use them. For example, I used Openbox + GTK apps exclusively for a long time. Then I decided I wanted Opera, which uses QT, so now I have both :-) My long term idea is that I'll probably convert to a light QT/KDE install and use Konqueror.

It's really a question of which applications you need, and many people have tried both desktops during their Linux career. You can use Live CD's like Knoppix and Ubuntu to get an impression of both. :-)

KDE or Gnome compile time should be bearable with your machine.

@ Kernel compile time: It should be much faster if you only enable those modules you really need. Recompiles (if you selected a different wifi driver for example) are much faster than the first compile of a new kernel version. My server kernel is 1.5 MB, my desktop kernel is 1.6 MB. So they almost fit on a floppy disk.

@ startup times: Check fine tuning of your harddrives' DMA setting and inform yourself about "prelinking" (I forgot if this is standard now or something.) Gentoo as a whole will adopt OpenRC soon, which will speed up booting among other things.

@ compiling in general: Inform yourself about ccache and distcc (Gentoo has guides about them afaik.) It's a combination of a compiler cache and distributed compiling using the other machines on the LAN.

Another tip is to use the stable keyword (x86 as opposed to ~x86) in your make.conf and just unmask individual packages from unstable using /etc/portage/package.keywords. This will give you a stable base system. And as others said, don't tinker too much with CFLAGS (but do tinker with USE flags.)

Read /etc/make.conf.example and /etc/conf.d/net.example. Also read the emerge manpage.

"emerge -av package" will show you exactly the USE flags and dependencies of "package." Always check the forum before updating gcc, glibc, baselayout or similar to see if there are problems.

Sorry if all this is a bit general, but let's think of the other newbies reading this... Happy Gentooing and remember to RTFM. :-)
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that clear and detailed summary. That's brilliantly explained. :P
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to tell you all that I've done it! Horray! :P

I've spent the last week re-reading all the documents, printing all the relevant stuff from my computer and re-reading this thread. Yesterday I had to stay off work, and so I started the install. I did it from the System Rescue CD (excellent advice, by the way! Being able to use the Internet was a fantastic plus!) and downloaded the funtoo stage 3 tarball. All went smoothly, but Grub gave me a little runaround for a while when it produced error 15 and error 13 messages. I was trying to use the same configuration that I had when I was sharing this machine between Debian and Archlinux; that is chainloading Gentoo. Grub didn't seem to want to do this in Gentoo, although it did in Archlinux, so in the end I opted to emerge -C grub and write Gentoo into the menu.lst file in Debian. This worked flawlessly, and I now have a lovely flashing cursor and a black screen - this is where the real fun starts!
By the way Sprott, you were right about the kernel compile. I printed out my previous choices in menuconfig (based on an i686 .config file that I had downloaded) and noticed that there were a few things I could leave out: most notably generic x86 support, which was absolutely unnecessary. It made quite a difference: down from 3 hours to around 20 minutes!
Now for a couple of questions: First, I forgot to set the flags as you suggested - ie -Os instead of O2; profuse and ufed. Should I set them now, before I've installed anything much (I suppose I'll save myself a lot of time if I do)? If so, what command do I need to run to get them up and running? Secondly, there are a lot of error messages during boot up, so I'd like to run dmesg to re-read them. But how do I get dmesg to stop scrolling so fast?

Thank you guys all very much. You gave me the motivation to go through with this and the support to make it possible!
Sprotte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmesg problem:

You type "dmesg | less" instead of "dmesg". The | is called "pipe".

-Os problem:

This doesn't really matter, you can change -O2 to -Os at any point, and the next few updates will use it and thus propagate it to most of the installed packages.

- profuse, ufed problem:

Ufed is an application, not a flag. I guess profuse is something similar. Ufed is an editor to make setting USE flags easier, but you can set them by hand, too.

The installation manual (handbook?) tells you at which point to edit your make.conf. You can also set USE flags at that point. You shouldn't change too much yet.

If you want to put something like "-gnome" or similar, you should do that around the time you emerge X or KDE/flux/whatever.

Quote:
I suppose I'll save myself a lot of time if I do

That depends, actually. USE flags like -java, -X or -gtk save you a lot, others save you less. :-) It also depends on the packages you install. If none of your packages wants java, then "-java" in your USE flags will do nothing. Think of it like this: USE flags can pull in dependencies for a package (example java), but also prevent that (-java).

Descriptions of USE flags are in

/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
/usr/portage/profiles/use.local.desc

but you can also use one of those editors.

emerge -av ufed
emerge -av profuse

see which method suits you best.

What I do when installing new packages:

Do an emerge -av, then check the list of dependencies and which USE flags are enabled. If you don't need some of the dependencies (java support or whatever, just as an example) you just disable the USE flag that pulls them in!

You can also do "emerge -av | less" like with dmesg above, but it won't be colored then.

If you decide to change a USE flag setting, you can do that at any time and just re-emerge the affected package(s).

You can do almost anything you want. You'll probably fine tune your system for quite some time after installing. That's normal. Most of us permanently fine tune our boxes ;-)
RedSquirrel
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince wrote:
... there are a lot of error messages during boot up, so I'd like to run dmesg to re-read them. But how do I get dmesg to stop scrolling so fast?

In addition to the command Sprotte gave above, you can also put the output into a text file for easy reading:

Code:
dmesg > dmesg.txt

Documentation to setup the remainder of your system and to maintain it:

- handbook (the sections after the installation instructions, "Working with Gentoo", Portage, etc.)
- Documentation section at http://www.gentoo.org
- FAQ section on these forums
- (unofficial) wiki: http://gentoo-wiki.com/

In other words: read, read, read. :D
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thank you both very much. I've now re-set the flags to include Java (didn't think of that!) and I ran emerge --update --deep --newuse world to reconfigure the system to the flag change. As for 02, I'd already done that without realizing what I was actually doing - I was just following the guide and I guess I was getting tired by that point. Everything's now set, and I'm ready to start building up a working system. I'll start a new thread for any problems I may encounter. Don't worry though: I certainly haven't forgotten to RTFM! In fact, I'm spending all my spare time doing this! Thanks once again!
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FrogPrince,

Firstly, welcome to Gentoo and to the community. Secondly, I wanted to give you a heads-up that I missed one of my first times with Gentoo. Overclocking can cause some serious problems. I don't know if you've overclocked anything at all, but during compilations, you can see some serious breakage. Thirdly, and just as general advice, ask as many questions as you need; Gentoo has a steep learning curve, and we are all here to help you with it.

Again, welcome! :)
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kalos. Can you tell me what you mean by "overclocking"?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overclocking is essentially manipulating settings to force your hardware (processor, video card, or RAM mainly) to operate faster than it is supposed to. If you didn't make any changes to the system either through an advanced BIOS or an overclocking program (popular in M$ Windows), then you have nothing to worry about. :) Please let me know if you have any more questions. Take care.
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your explanation kalos, I see what it means. I'm certainly not into overclocking! If Windows users are tempted to overclock because they think their computers are too slow, then perhaps they should change to Linux!
monsm
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome frogprince,
I came to Gentoo almost a year ago now (well, September last year), never regretted. I have just ugraded to gnome 2.22.1 on my system. It updated about 145 packages, but I run it overnight, so when I got up in the morning, it was all complete. I have been doing similar things when updating openoffice and running those "emerge -DNuav world" updates. I have a AMD3200+ machine with 1.5Gb memory, so not too far away from yours.
So, presumably you leave your machine alone for a few hours from time to time, so these updates shouldn't be a problem, even big ones like Gnome, KDE and Openoffice.
Moving to Gentoo was a huge improvement for me. I was running Gnome and Compiz on Fedora earlier, the machine is so much more comfortable now, no more sluggishly spinning Compiz cubes :)

I made a little test here (see first and last post of the thread):
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-desktop-74/beryl-nvidia-slow-performance-586438/

That is not a very scientific test, but still, it makes an indication of the improvement when using the 3D compiz environment on my machine (I also might have had things on my Fedora installation that slowed it down unnecessarily).

Anyway, I am not going to a different distro. Upgrading from one version of a binary distro (like Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, etc) to the next every half year is more trouble in my view then running the occasional emerge world update on Gentoo.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frogprince wrote:
Thank you for your explanation kalos, I see what it means. I'm certainly not into overclocking! If Windows users are tempted to overclock because they think their computers are too slow, then perhaps they should change to Linux!

Best solution to the slow computer. ;)
Frogprince
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Kalos, you advised me to ask you when I have a problem, and I've already got one! It's a very weakling, newbie problem, but you'll find it herehttps://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5111098.html#5111098
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: