Neverwinter Nights problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinchamion
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Neverwinter Nights problems Reply with quote

Heya,

I'm having problems with installing NWN. I bought the Diamond Edition, which includes 3 CDs (the original NWN), one DVD, with both expansions on it according to the label, 1 CD with the Kingmaker expansion (or whatever it is) and 1 CD with only the manuals on it.

Now I tried installing it with the ebuild in portage, but when it got to the point when I'm supposed to mount the SoU CD, I insert the DVD and the emerge process won't recognize it. I googled it, and did a forum search, and although I found a howto, I do not have the .zip files I'm supposed to have, plus, all these guides talk about one DVD, and nothing else. I tried this and this. I have a Data_shared.zip, but no Data_linux.zip and no Xp1 and Xp2.

I don't have Windows, so copying an installation over is out of the question. I could do it with wine, but if there is a native way, I'd prefer that.

Any help would be appreciated!

D.I.N.C.H.A.M.I.O.N.: Digital Intelligent Neohuman Calibrated for Hazardous Assassination, Masterful Infiltration and Online Nullification
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Neverwinter Nights problems Reply with quote

Worst case scenario - pirate it. =x You've already paid for it, and you have the CD keys. No harm no foul.

Sounds like you don't need the nwn disks - just the expansions.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigeon768, you should know that discussing illegal activities is not allowed in this forum, including pirating software.
jmz2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bioware doesn't mention Diamond edition in their Linux support page. Only Gold edition is supported.

See http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html#lininstall. You can download the resources from the page. Worked for me a couple of years ago. I've not played the game since.
arterius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the diamond edition and the portage ebuild works just fine.

Only installing the kingmaker expansion is a bit tricky.

I have the one dvd version.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuilds in portage have never satisfied me for NWN, so I preffer to follow the instructions on the Bioware web site and maintain it by hand on my home. It works flawlessly. The only shinny thing I do is to pick the lisbsdl so file from my 32 bits libs to replace the one shipped into NWN (otherwise the NWN can lock the system sound and vice-versa.

All the expansions and extra modules work without a problem This makes also easier to install custom contents and modules.
spindle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
The ebuilds in portage have never satisfied me for NWN, so I preffer to follow the instructions on the Bioware web site and maintain it by hand on my home.

I completely agree with this. It runs a lot slower from the ebuild than the normal Bioware install instructions on my box. Not sure why, maybe because my ~/.nwn is on a different disk than /opt/nwn :?:, or maybe those nwmouse/movie things? I was getting a lot of stuttering music from the ebuild install because of this and had to move back to Bioware type install. I don't even have to switch from the bundled libSDL for it to sound perfect this way. Though I'll probably switch anyway now because of that lockup issue you mention.
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Segmentation Faults? Reply with quote

Hi, I've been trying to get this working from the diamond DVD and the emerge. All seems to go well, but then when I run nwn:
Code:

dan@albert ~ $ nwn
Failed to initialize graphics.
/opt/nwn/nwn: line 64: 11416 Segmentation fault      ./nwmain $@

I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
erik258
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out I just had to set up GLX accelleration for my video card. I thought I already had, but it turns out I was still using the "nv" driver.
Caladon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These options in package.use in /etc/portage really did make my nwn installation work really nice

games-rpg/nwn-data cdinstall hou sou videos nowin linguas_en
games-rpg/nwn hou sou
app-arch/unshield static-libs
x11-libs/wxGTK gstreamer gnome
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: