User Emerges
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korngerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: User Emerges Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm posting to the right forum, or if this suggestion has been made before (I think I searched the forums relatively carefully, though), or if such feature is already in portage (I don't think so...). I have a certain suggestion to improve Gentoo, though. Just as we all have system-wide emerges, I thought that certain ebuilds should optionally have user-based emerges. For example, let's say a user wants a certain BMP plugin (say media-plugins/bmp-rootvis). The user would have to ask the sys-admin (or whoever has emerge priveleges) to emerge the plugin. Instead, if the user could emerge bmp-rootvis on his/her own into his/her own ~/.bmp/Plugins/ directory, he/she wouldn't have to ask the admin to emerge it separately, waste the admin's time doing so, or have to give up the plugin due to the sys-admin's lack of interest in the plugin (of course, the user can just ./configure && make the plugin him/herself, but I don't think that would be the "Gentoo-way" of doing things). This MAY imply that only certain ebuilds allow this (I don't really know what kind of security implications would exist if the user tried to emerge a whole system into his/her own directory, thus chrooting a new environment). Would this be even viable (security implications, libtool problems, etc.), or is this just a plain stupid idea (in which case that would just re-affirm that I'm still a computer illiterate person ;)). Also, if the mods think that this topic should be in another forum, please do move me around (and sorry for posting to the wrong forum) :)
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your idea seems great to me. But I think that that is not a so easy task.

Of course, as you said, that would only viable for certain kind of apps, not all. To make portage aware of that thing is, maybe, the easiest thing here (correct me somebody if I'm wrong). I know almost nothing about portage and libtool, so I can really talk with suppositions. That could be something like 'don't let normal users emerge things in the system group, but only in world', so that's not really the problem. The problem is (of couse in my opinion) that most apps would need some tweaking to run properly if installed into any other dir, so, I would make necesary not only to change portage, but also all the single packages. That's not impossible, but is a hard thing to do. :cry:
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming. Suggestions about improving gentoo go here in chat.
korngerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
Your idea seems great to me. But I think that that is not a so easy task.

Thanks for the feedback :) True, it would involve some pretty big changes to portage, since installing apps in the right place alone seems to be a pretty big task (there would have to be some FHS within user directories and some tinkering with with the FHS to fit "plugin-type" emerges). I would also assume that certain system-wide emerges would conflict with these user-based emerges (for example, what would portage do if Gaim was emerged system-wide, but the user tried to emerge Gaim into his/her own user directory). Another issue that would probably arise is reverse-dependency hell. With certain libraries being updated system-wide, each user would be required to check reverse dependencies, either with a hacked version of revdep-rebuild or a brand new reverse dependency checker.

6thpink wrote:
Of course, as you said, that would only viable for certain kind of apps, not all.

Yes, and most definitely, it would have to be limited to certain apps only (or else we'd run into those reverse dependency hells way too often).

6thpink wrote:
The problem is (of couse in my opinion) that most apps would need some tweaking to run properly if installed into any other dir, so, I would make necesary not only to change portage, but also all the single packages.

I'm pretty sure that this must've been brought up some time in the past, since I always make "plugin" related stuff in my own user directory (Gaim plugins, BMP plugins, X fonts, etc.). I'm just wondering if this kind of idea ever made it as a GLEP, since it would seem like a pretty "highly wanted feature" for some multi-user systems.

Also, thanks curtis119 for moving me to the right area ;)
ecoffey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You MIGHT be able to pull something like that for yourself. If you just make your own customized ebuild and then use the ebuild command instead of emerge to step through all the steps maybe. It would be pretty cool, but I don't think the portage code base is quite _that_ abstract for it :-)
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe for 4.0 or so.
korngerd
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
maybe for 4.0 or so.

Portage 4.0? Would seem like a pretty long time before something like this would be implemented then :( Is there a public roadmap for Gentoo's overall direction somewhere? Would be interesting to see something like that so that users can provide feedback on improving Gentoo ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: