Install Problems: 2007 or 2008(beta) Dell Isnpiron 5100
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
obsidianblackhawk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Install Problems: 2007 or 2008(beta) Dell Isnpiron 5100 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Mind you this is the live CD Version.

Well I've racked my brain and can't figure out what on earth is going on. For starters there is a whole section of things during the initial boot where i get the error thrown at me that it cannot find a file. It will then continue booting and eventually will go into the GUI where i can run the installer.

If I'm lucky enough to get through the partitioning portion (some times it will let me some times it won't), it goes onto copying the stage to the hard drive. And will never go past this point. It always errors out here saying it cannot copy the file. Has any one else experienced this. I have installed Gentoo more times then i can count, and on this laptop as well. This is the first I've had an installation problem i couldn't figure out. Previous versions of the livecd have worked perfectly up untill this one.

And yes i can do it from scratch the old fashion way, but darn it I'm sick of waiting 2 days just to have a working Gui. ( I'm a Gnome guy)

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And if more information is needed i will do my best to attempt to give it.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Maliwik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For starters there is a whole section of things during the initial boot where i get the error thrown at me that it cannot find a file.

Could you please post the specific errors you get? If it's saying something about not finding a file, then this could have something to do your problem.

Also,
Quote:
If I'm lucky enough to get through the partitioning portion (some times it will let me some times it won't), it goes onto copying the stage to the hard drive.

When it doesn't work, is there any error that you get notifying you that it didn't finish?

Also, what's the specific error you get when it gets to the point of copying the file?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Problems: 2007 or 2008(beta) Dell Isnpiron 5100 Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
And yes i can do it from scratch the old fashion way, but darn it I'm sick of waiting 2 days just to have a working Gui. ( I'm a Gnome guy)

So you don't run into any problems using the minimal installation disc?
pappy_mcfae
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Install Problems: 2007 or 2008(beta) Dell Isnpiron 5100 Reply with quote

obsidianblackhawk wrote:
Two days? I had a GUI on a PII 450 in less than a day. I installed XFCE first so I had GUI functionality, then I installed KDE.

True, XFCE is not the one I'm used to, but at least I get X functionality while waiting for KDE to install. You could install fvwm or twm and have X support even quicker. AND, since it's Gentoo, you can remove the "other" WM without guilt or trouble.

Blessed be!
Pappy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: