Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
lvm volumes not present on existing and newinstall (SOLVED)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali3nx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: lvm volumes not present on existing and newinstall (SOLVED) Reply with quote

I had two tasks to complete that i've put aside for too long both related to lvm the past evening due to my workstation not booting and a server having puked a hard drive that hosted a nice fat chunk of lvm pv data :( My main amd64 workstation which runs lvm2 rootfs and the other reinstall of my 2U smp 246 opteron server that runs *only* /usr /var /opt /tmp and /home on lvm2. After rebooting my workstation to fix a borked initrd a few dozen times i was consistantly greeted by a halt stating that my lvm2 rootfs volume could not be found. I updated that system to baselayout-2 and openrc which seems to have resolved the issues with the workstation however the troubling issue still remains that lvm volumes currently appear *not* to start using baselayout 1 or 2 without an initrd. I just finished a few boot tests on the server rig and the lvm logical volumes were not found consistantly with either version of baselayout. This may be something worth having a dev look into. My server is running 2008.0 just installed over the past 9 to 12 hours and so far it's not booted properly yet due to the lvm volumes not starting on boot :? I'm left with a lingering curiosity that the only reason my workstation booted is because i have to use an initrd image that preloads the lvm volumes long before the rcscripts get a chance. The server doesn't and it wouldnt start the lvm volumes before remounting the rootfs read/write. I do have the lvm and device-mapper init scripts added to the boot runlevel on the server however that doesn't appear to have solved anything related to that system so far.

Last edited by ali3nx on Fri May 16, 2008 11:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with LVM, but maybe the startup scripts require something that is located on /usr in order to work.
ali3nx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some testing across three amd64 systems and debating with a few of gentoo's base system devs it was discovered that the current stable lvm2-2.02.28 does not recognize recently changed sysfs structure in 2.6.24 and newer kernels. after updating two systems to sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.36 both systems booted with the lvm volumes present and usable.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=207612#c19

Quote:
<zzam> fine
<zzam> looking into lvm-history I find this:
<zzam> Handle new sysfs subsystem/block/devices directory structure
<zzam> this is in the changes of Version 2.02.29 - 5th December 2007
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: