Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
E17 is coming(part 6) [locked]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently getting the following error while compiling e_dbus - any ideas what I need to install?

Code:

CC     e_dbus_test-test.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../src/lib/bluez/libebluez.la', needed by `e_dbus_bluez_test'.  Stop.
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.

Kind Regards,

Steve
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevegriffdtcom wrote:
I'm currently getting the following error while compiling e_dbus - any ideas what I need to install?

Code:

CC     e_dbus_test-test.o
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../src/lib/bluez/libebluez.la', needed by `e_dbus_bluez_test'.  Stop.
make[3]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs.

Kind Regards,

Steve
Yeah. The ebuild needs to be modified. I have already emailed the modification to enlightenment<at>gentoo.org. Hopefully the modifications will be committed soon. You can watch this URL for when that happens: http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/vapier/timeline

If you want to proceed with your installation right now, you will need to use the following modified dev-libs/e_dbus-9999.ebuild: Removed ebuild

EDIT I removed the ebuild I had posted since the compilation has been fixed in svn ( r55497 ).
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ppurka, I've managed to get the library built and installed now.

I have e17 running! :D

There's so many things to configure however. I'm trying to work out exactly what setting does what. Enjoyable and frustrating at the same time.

The one thing I need to sort out however is the CPU utilisation of Enlightenment. Currently it's constantly using over 50% of my CPU. Something is sucking up the juice.

Steve
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I tell E17 to not use it's own File Manager / Draw icons on screen?

I'd prefer Nautilus to do this.
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevegriffdtcom wrote:

The one thing I need to sort out however is the CPU utilisation of Enlightenment. Currently it's constantly using over 50% of my CPU. Something is sucking up the juice.

Steve

Looks like the composite manager is sucking up all the CPU, even when I have selected opengl. Any suggestions? Using nvidia-drivers.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevegriffdtcom wrote:
How do I tell E17 to not use it's own File Manager / Draw icons on screen?

I'd prefer Nautilus to do this.
That's not possible.
Quote:
Looks like the composite manager is sucking up all the CPU, even when I have selected opengl. Any suggestions? Using nvidia-drivers.
If you are using nvidia then select opengl and texture from pixmap.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevegriffdtcom wrote:
stevegriffdtcom wrote:

Steve

Are you talking about the native composition manager of e17? In that caseyou can also try ecomorph.

Regarding the icons, I never tried that myself, but I believe that you can change them in Settings=>Icon Theme, no?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
Regarding the icons, I never tried that myself, but I believe that you can change them in Settings=>Icon Theme, no?
I think stevegriffdtcom means "Desktop icons". And he wants the files/folders from gnome's desktop to appear in e (this should work, though I wouldn't know since I don't use gnome at all). On top of that he wants files/folders' icons to be drawn by gnome and to open those using nautilus and not e's internal filemanager. Both of the above are not possible.
stevegriffdtcom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:

Are you talking about the native composition manager of e17? In that caseyou can also try ecomorph.

Hi Holysword, I have indeed installed ecomorph and has been working very well so far. Looks like my enlightenment setup is starting to stabilise...

Regards
engil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

sorry if the question has already been asked, but i'm stuck at compiling E.

I've just updated my layman, and ran emerge with a set that contains :
Code:

laptoo portage # cat /etc/portage/sets/enlightenment-live
dev-libs/eina
dev-libs/eet
media-libs/evas
dev-libs/ecore
dev-libs/embryo
media-libs/edje
dev-libs/efreet
dev-libs/e_dbus
x11-wm/enlightenment

Here's the error :
Code:

/usr/bin/edje_cc -v -id ../../data/themes/images -fd ../../data/themes/fonts -DLOWRES_PDA=1 -DMEDIUMRES_PDA=2 -DHIRES_PDA=3 -DSLOW_PC=4 -DMEDIUM_PC=5 -DFAST_PC=6 -DE17_PROFILE=SLOW_PC \
../../data/themes/illume.edc \
../../data/themes/illume.edj
ERR<11255>:eina_list eina_amalgamation.c:8016 eina_list_init() ERROR: Mempool for list cannot be allocated in list init.
ERR<11255>:eina eina_amalgamation.c:12931 eina_init() Could not initialize eina module 'list'.
make[4]: *** [illume.edj] Error 255
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
ERR<11254>:eina_list eina_amalgamation.c:8016 eina_list_init() ERROR: Mempool for list cannot be allocated in list init.
ERR<11254>:eina eina_amalgamation.c:12931 eina_init() Could not initialize eina module 'list'.
make[4]: *** [default.edj] Error 255

While emerging enlightenment package. Can anybody tell me what's going on ? It's been a while since i tried e17 so maybe i'm missing something obvious ...
Code:

laptoo engil # emerge -1pvD @enlightenment-live

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/eina-9999  USE="mmx nls sse sse2 (-altivec) -debug -default-mempool -doc -mempool-buddy -mempool-chained -mempool-ememoa-fixed -mempool-ememoa-unknown -mempool-fixed-bitmap -mempool-pass-through -static-libs -threads" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/embryo-9999  USE="nls -doc -static-libs" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/eet-9999  USE="nls -debug -doc -examples -gnutls -ssl -static-libs -threads" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/evas-9999  USE="X eet gif jpeg mmx nls opengl png sse svg xcb xpm (-altivec) -bidi -cache -directfb -doc -fbcon -fontconfig -gles -sdl -static-libs -threads -tiff" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/ecore-9999  USE="X curl evas glib inotify nls opengl xcb -ares -directfb -doc -fbcon -gnutls -sdl -ssl -static-libs -threads -tslib -xinerama -xprint -xscreensaver" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/edje-9999  USE="nls -cache -debug -doc -static-libs -vim-syntax" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/efreet-9999  USE="nls -doc -static-libs" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/e_dbus-9999  USE="bluetooth hal libnotify nls -connman -doc -ofono -static-libs -test-binaries -ukit" 0 kB [1]
[ebuild  N    ] x11-wm/enlightenment-9999  USE="acpi bluetooth e_modules_battery e_modules_clock exchange hal nls pam -doc -e_modules_comp -e_modules_conf-applications -e_modules_conf-borders -e_modules_conf-clientlist -e_modules_conf-colors -e_modules_conf-desk -e_modules_conf-desklock -e_modules_conf-desks -e_modules_conf-dialogs -e_modules_conf-display -e_modules_conf-dpms -e_modules_conf-edgebindings -e_modules_conf-engine -e_modules_conf-fonts -e_modules_conf-icon-theme -e_modules_conf-imc -e_modules_conf-interaction -e_modules_conf-intl -e_modules_conf-keybindings -e_modules_conf-menus -e_modules_conf-mime -e_modules_conf-mouse -e_modules_conf-mouse-cursor -e_modules_conf-mousebindings -e_modules_conf-paths -e_modules_conf-performance -e_modules_conf-profiles -e_modules_conf-scale -e_modules_conf-screensaver -e_modules_conf-shelves -e_modules_conf-startup -e_modules_conf-theme -e_modules_conf-transitions -e_modules_conf-wallpaper -e_modules_conf-wallpaper2 -e_modules_conf-window-display -e_modules_conf-window-focus -e_modules_conf-window-manipulation -e_modules_conf-window-remembers -e_modules_conf-winlist -e_modules_connman -e_modules_cpufreq -e_modules_dropshadow -e_modules_everything -e_modules_everything-apps -e_modules_everything-calc -e_modules_everything-files -e_modules_everything-settings -e_modules_everything-windows -e_modules_fileman -e_modules_fileman_opinfo -e_modules_gadman -e_modules_ibar -e_modules_ibox -e_modules_illume -e_modules_illume2 -e_modules_mixer -e_modules_msgbus -e_modules_ofono -e_modules_pager -e_modules_start -e_modules_syscon -e_modules_systray -e_modules_temperature -e_modules_winlist -e_modules_wizard -spell -static-libs -udev" 0 kB [1]

Total: 9 packages (1 new, 8 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
Portage tree and overlays:
 [0] /usr/portage
 [1] /var/lib/layman/enlightenment
laptoo engil #

Tell me if you guys need some more info !

Thx in advance :)
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engil, you will have to enable mempool-chained for eina.
engil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sera ! It's better now, but not yet perfect ;)

I suppose i could have figured it myself, how should i know i must enable a mempool-* option ? Is it written in some doc i've missed ?

Now evas fails to compile, i'll take a look, but thank you!
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

engil wrote:
I suppose i could have figured it myself, how should i know i must enable a mempool-* option ? Is it written in some doc i've missed ?!

Not documented but I did run into it myself. In a perfect world the ebuild would force you to enable it if required.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
engil wrote:
I suppose i could have figured it myself, how should i know i must enable a mempool-* option ? Is it written in some doc i've missed ?!

Not documented but I did run into it myself. In a perfect world the ebuild would force you to enable it if required.
The ebuild already forces that for more than 4 months now. Update your overlay.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
sera wrote:
engil wrote:

The ebuild already forces that for more than 4 months now. Update your overlay.

Eina beta2 in maintree does not nor does the latest enlightenment snapshot ebuild in the enlightenment overlay use depend on this mempool. Synced and checked right now.

I have a fixed eina ebuild myself, I'm sure there exist others ;)
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked the ebuild you linked. Do you mean the + sign in front of mempool-chained? That's a use default and not forcing it.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
Checked the ebuild you linked. Do you mean the + sign in front of mempool-chained? That's a use default and not forcing it.
Yes. And it will be enabled by default unless you explicitly disable it in package.use.
engil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hum, so it should have worked from the beginning ...

My overlay is up-to-date and the mempool-chained item wasn't enabled by default. I didn't disable it anywhere ..

I'm using the enlightenment overlay, nothing special.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
sera wrote:
Yes. And it will be enabled by default unless you explicitly disable it in package.use.

I, like probably many others, disable all useflags globally and then only add back what is wanted.

Whether it's a bug or an intended hard dependency I don't know. But what I know for sure is that a use default is the wrong means to express this relation.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
I, like probably many others, disable all useflags globally and then only add back what is wanted.

Whether it's a bug or an intended hard dependency I don't know. But what I know for sure is that a use default is the wrong means to express this relation.
I won't be surprised if you end up with a broken system sometime in the future. Ideally you should set up your profile correctly (eselect profile) and let that profile handle your use flags. If you don't like a useflag in that profile then disable that use flag. But don't go around disabling *all* use flags. (How do you achieve that by the way? USE="-*"?).

More and more ebuilds are using +useflag in the ebuilds to comply with upstream recommendations for how to compile the software, or to ensure that most users end up with sane installations without needing to tweak the package.use or make.conf every time they update their system. This +useflag has been around for at least a year or two.

In fact, especially since this +useflag was introduced, I have hardly had to modify my make.conf or package.use. It made updating and maintaining the system a much more pleasant experience.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I won't be surprised if you end up with a broken system sometime in the future.

On the contrary, for instance the libpng upgrade was a breath and couldn't have borked my system(s) at all. I do so for a long time and will continue to do so without fear.

ppurka wrote:
Ideally you should set up your profile correctly (eselect profile) and let that profile handle your use flags. If you don't like a useflag in that profile then disable that use flag. But don't go around disabling *all* use flags. (How do you achieve that by the way? USE="-*"?).

The profile is set up correctly. The use definitions in there are by far the least important part of a profile and are only there for the convenience of people who do not know what they want/need. Use defaults are the same on package level.
Just by having profiles like kde or gnome it should be clear that there is no correct way to set useflags. It all depends on what you want.
I do not have a system with all useflags disabled as you might have gotten the impression.
My package.use does enable some global useflags like pam and for hundreds of packages individually.
USE="-* pam ...." in make.conf is how you can achieve that.

ppurka wrote:
More and more ebuilds are using +useflag in the ebuilds to comply with upstream recommendations for how to compile the software, or to ensure that most users end up with sane installations without needing to tweak the package.use or make.conf every time they update their system. This +useflag has been around for at least a year or two.

Use defaults are an EAPI 1 feature. So almost three years now since it's introduction. Anyway, we are not talking about a recommendation here but a requirement. Before EAPI 2 --enable-mempool-chained-pool would have needed to be hardcoded, since then packages can enforce a useflag to be set by use dependencies. So if there is a use case for mempool-chained to be toggleable enlightenment would need to depend on dev-libs/eina[mempool-chained].
Here I think we have an upstream bug and any mempool should do as long as you have one.
Eina ebuild enables one-big without asking and I suspect this should be sufficient.

ppurka wrote:
In fact, especially since this +useflag was introduced, I have hardly had to modify my make.conf or package.use. It made updating and maintaining the system a much more pleasant experience.

If it works best for you than it certainly is the right thing to do. I found it to be more tedious and therefore use another approach.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sera wrote:
I do not have a system with all useflags disabled as you might have gotten the impression.
My package.use does enable some global useflags like pam and for hundreds of packages individually.
USE="-* pam ...." in make.conf is how you can achieve that.
Yes. That was exactly what I had in mind. So, setting the profile using eselect profile is pretty much useless (no pun intended) if I put -* like that in make.conf.
Quote:
So if there is a use case for mempool-chained to be toggleable enlightenment would need to depend on dev-libs/eina[mempool-chained].
Here I think we have an upstream bug and any mempool should do as long as you have one.
You are right about this. Though it is just an ebuild bug and not an upstream one.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:

Yes. That was exactly what I had in mind. So, setting the profile using eselect profile is pretty much useless (no pun intended) if I put -* like that in make.conf.

There are other more important things defined in a profile than useflags

ppurka wrote:
Though it is just an ebuild bug and not an upstream one.

That, you certainly know better than me.
sera
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beta3 and a new snapshot are out since 3 of December according to the enlightenment page. Haven't noticed it. Let's hope to have them available soon.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post it here. I uploaded two videos of e17 a week ago. They show some of the basic configuration possibilities.
Enlightenment DR17 WM - Part 1.1
Enlightenment DR17 WM - Part 1.2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: