Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Who wants to try my gentoo-1.2 iso with pppoe ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Who wants to try my gentoo-1.2 iso with pppoe ? Reply with quote

As the title suggests, I've made a quick and probably quite dirty patch to the gentoo-1.2 iso in order to have a relatively easy (I hope) pppoe connection during install.

I added to the ramdisk ext2 files (contained in isolinux/rescue.gz) the necessary files in order for rp-pppoe to work :

the binaries for ppp (patched to pppoe)
libcrypt
the binaries for rp-pppoe (3.4)

added some comments to /install.txt
(but forgot to add, at the end of stage3, before rebooting on the brand new gentoo system: do not forget to emerge rp-pppoe while you have an active internet connection...)

The iso is there, on my homepage :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj/gento.tar
I've kept only stage1 tarball, so the iso is 16Mb.
(the extension is, I know, rather strange, but it wouldn't download with an .iso extension. I guess some restrictions apply, and I guess too I won't be able to keep this file on this location for a long time...If you have other locations to suggest, please do !)

(BTW, I've probably messed a little during the iso creation, and the name for the stage1 tarball has been truncated to 8+3 chars : stage1-i.tbz or something like that...)

The script adsl-setup won't work (sed isn't present) so you will have to manually edit
/etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
/etc/ppp/chat-secrets
and/or /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

don't know why, but the script adsl-start didn't stop when I tested it, so I used
adsl-connect &
instead.

You won't have a firewall during the first stages of install. (I don't know much about firewalls anyway... The changes in order to have a firewall are a little more complicated...)

Tell me if it works for you. (I will receive a brand new, quiet pc this week-end to test it...)
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I was logged...
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could open an account at free.fr, it's pretty good there, and you should be able to leave the iso for a while...
Just a suggestion... as a .fr user :wink:
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Who wants to try my gentoo-1.2 iso with pppoe ? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:

The iso is there, on my homepage :
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj/gento.tar

Hummm, thought I double-checked, but I forgot an o in the filename...

So the good url is http://perso.wanadoo.fr/phj/gentoo.tar

Too bad I wasn't logged... I can't edit and correct my first post...

Edited : it seems there is a problem downloading the iso from my homepage right now
I've been told it stops downloading just a few kbs before the end :( which I'm afraid I must confirm, having tested it a few moments ago...

It will perhaps work again in a few hours or days but meanwhile you can download the iso from ibiblio (thanks to seemant) :
http://www.ibiblio.com/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/gentoo-pppoe-ix86.iso

Last edited by Jondot on Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lukin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: it worked for me Reply with quote

this patched gentoo 1.2 iso worked find for me.

theres a little problem tho, as mentioned, adsl-start scripts doesnt stop.
it seems that adsl-start scripts polling adsl status every 2 seconds and it used "expr" command. but iso doenst contain "expr" so it displays error message every 2 seconds. (i had to kill adsl-start ps to fix this)
except that, this worked very well! thank you!
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: it worked for me Reply with quote

Lukin wrote:
this patched gentoo 1.2 iso worked find for me.

theres a little problem tho, as mentioned, adsl-start scripts doesnt stop.
it seems that adsl-start scripts polling adsl status every 2 seconds and it used "expr" command. but iso doenst contain "expr" so it displays error message every 2 seconds. (i had to kill adsl-start ps to fix this)
except that, this worked very well! thank you!

Happy to have the confirmation that it works...

As concerns adsl-start, I should have removed it from the iso... (Better to use adsl-connect &, it is more verbose and works perfectly, or without the &, switch console or Ctrl-z)

The fact is that commenting out the offending part of adsl-start that contains the expr test and whose only aim is to stop the script after a certain time (TIMEOUT) removes the errors, but doesn't help adsl-start to terminate properly. Didn't understand why.

So don't use use it... Use adsl-connect instead.

Of course the one who can explain me why the script adsl-start doesn't stop although the output of adsl-connect is perfectly correct is welcome ! (just out of curiosity...)
Malkosha
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your adsl fix should be applied to the next build. It worked flawless. It may help to add the proper chap/pap secrets format to the doc's, but in every way it worked perfect.

Along that same line, I have an ISA NIC and I found that when you do MODPROBE 3C509 (for my 3com card) nothing happens. On the second time the command is run, it finds the ISA card, and sets it up as eth0.

Impressive. Great job!
Pindrop
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to this, what goes in chap-secrets? And do I need to edit pap-secrets? I'm using ADSL through a switch with my external DSL modem in the uplink, static IP.
Jondot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pindrop wrote:
I'm new to this, what goes in chap-secrets? And do I need to edit pap-secrets? I'm using ADSL through a switch with my external DSL modem in the uplink, static IP.

I use : Identifiant tab a star (*), tab, password for the chap-secrets
the same for pap-secrets. (exactly) so even if you don't need pap-secrets (or the opposite, depending on your provider) copy the one into the second won't harm.

So it looks like

???????@??? * ?????????????
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: