Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What is the best MSS value for rp-pppoe/shorewall router?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: What is the best MSS value for rp-pppoe/shorewall router? Reply with quote

I'm running a firewall machine with rp-pppoe and shorewall to connect to the internet. I'd like to optimise the MSS settings. From the comments in the pppoe.conf file, it says to clamp the MSS at 1412 bytes if you're running as a router. I've tried both this and the maximum of 1452 but can't see any difference in performance. I change the MSS figure in shorewall.conf to match whatever I have in pppoe.conf.

All the comments say is that 1412 is safe but results in a little more processing power being used. Is there any compelling reason to leave it at 1412 or am I better off just setting it to 1452 and getting that extra 40 bytes into the packet?
frostschutz
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should use the biggest value that works for you. This way fewer packets will need to be split because the data is too large; meaning less overhead. Processing power should not be noticeable, but overhead is.
NotExcessive
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frostschutz wrote:
You should use the biggest value that works for you. This way fewer packets will need to be split because the data is too large; meaning less overhead. Processing power should not be noticeable, but overhead is.

In that case, 1452 in both files it is.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: