Loading Modules
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
somethingcronic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Loading Modules Reply with quote

Hi all,

Complete n00b here. I can't get to the gentoo website to view the manual otherwise I would be checking there first, but I'm having problems loading ip_tables modules.

I have a number of modules that I need to run but I don't know what they are of how to do this. I good link would be great but for now how do I work out the module names after setting them in menuconfig? Then after make modules_install what do I do? I need to copy them somewhere I'm sure but don't know where. Then I need to know the command to make sure they run at startup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you run 'make modules_install' it will move the modules to /lib/modules/2.*.*-gentoo[-r*] which matches the kernel version you have just compiled. All you need to do is look in the correct folder to see which modules you have built.

How you then load these depends on whether you are running x86 or ~x86 and whether you have upgraded to the newer openrc/baselayout

If your still on the older system (i.e. emerge --info | grep ARCH shows ARCH="x86" and you don't have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" set in your /etc/make.conf) then you simply need to list modules you want to load in /etc/modules.conf to get the modules to load upon booting.

If your on the newer openrc/baselayout then you set which modules to load in /etc/conf.d/modules to get the modules to load upon booting.

slack

P.S. - If you can post on the forum, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't view the handbook since they are hosted on the same site.
somethingcronic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slack---line wrote:
When you run 'make modules_install' it will move the modules to /lib/modules/2.*.*-gentoo[-r*] which matches the kernel version you have just compiled. All you need to do is look in the correct folder to see which modules you have built.

How you then load these depends on whether you are running x86 or ~x86 and whether you have upgraded to the newer openrc/baselayout

If your still on the older system (i.e. emerge --info | grep ARCH shows ARCH="x86" and you don't have ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" set in your /etc/make.conf) then you simply need to list modules you want to load in /etc/modules.conf to get the modules to load upon booting.

If your on the newer openrc/baselayout then you set which modules to load in /etc/conf.d/modules to get the modules to load upon booting.

slack

P.S. - If you can post on the forum, then there shouldn't be any reason why you can't view the handbook since they are hosted on the same site.

Thanks for that, I'll have another look in a bit. I would have thought they were the same site too but forums.gentoo.org resolves to different ip address from www.gentoo.org. www.gentoo.org was down for a good couple of hours here.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somethingcronic wrote:
www.gentoo.org was down for a good couple of hours here.

Sorry, I hadn't checked whether the site was actually up and assumed they're all hosted at the same place. You can always use googles cache for that, just stick the URL into google and then use the cached version to view.

Let us know how you get on with loading modules.

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: