View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: TightVNC Can't find it's java applet Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm completely missing something, but I can't figure out why the portage version of TightVNC (or regular VNC for that matter) won't load up the java applet when you enter the hostname/ip:58xx (where xx is the display number, in my case 01). I get the message "File Not Found". Anybody have any explanation for this? I might just compile it from source, but I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't work with portage.
NetZwerg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually since a make install does not move the .class files into the main tree, portage does not recognize them to be installed as well...

the ebuild should be updated to copy the classes over according to the vnc documentation.

i'm not able to do this right know, due to lack of knowledge (and i'm supposed to be working actually right now <grin>)
navi-c
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: Don't forget... Reply with quote

you need java installed for the web-based java viewer to work... :wink:
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I shall move the class files over manually. As for the java question, I do indeed have it installed. This brings me to another point--I really want to funnel the vnc over ssh, so that I

A) don't have to have X listen and have it be possibly snooped on
B) don't have to worry about the connection being sniffed
C) don't have to modify my firewall rules to allow inbound connections for that port, as it's just another thing that could be manipulated

Is there a java based implementation of ssh or a VNC implementation that has that feature in which anyone is familiar?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: