[HowTo] - Audacious & Wikilyrics
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindKin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: [HowTo] - Audacious & Wikilyrics Reply with quote

One of my greatest pet peeves when it comes to linux is music players.
The further we come, the more music players go towards becoming "music libararys", where it wants to manage _all_ your music for you, no matter what.

There's very few players left that does what you need, and just that, and with the demise of xmms, audacious does exactly that.

Players like ryhytmbox, BMP2 and amarok are good enough in themselves, but sometimes, when you just want to create a playlist and play, it starts feeling like you're trying to row a cruise-ship manually after letting your arms fall asleep.

What audacious lacks, in my opinion, is a good lyrics plugin.
So I set out to make audacious work with wikilyrics, and after searching the web for a bit, I came up with a rather hacky solution to the problem.

So without further ado, here's how to make lyrics pop up when you play a song in audacious:

1)
Download the wiki-lyrics plugin for amarok.
You can find it on www.kde-look.org, among other places.
Untar it, and place it in a place you have access, e.g:

/home/user/programs/wikilyrics.

Wikilyrics is buildt on ruby, so you need ruby installed, as well as a ruby widget set, like qtruby, gtkruby or tkruby, depending on what you prefer.

2)
Open audacious, go to plugins, then general plugins. Enable "Song Changer Plugin".
In the left frame you will find a new option, called "Song Changer"

3)
In the "Song Changer" dialoge, in the filed labeled "command to run when audacious changes songs", paste:

Code:
ruby [PATH_TO_WIKILYRICS_ROOT_DIR]/cli/wikilyrics.rb -k [qt3/gtk/tk] --sites DarkLyrics,NotPopular,Sing365,Lyrc,Lyriki,LyricWiki -a $(echo "%n" | sed -ne 's/ - .*$//p' | sed -e 's/ /_/g') -t $(echo "%n" | sed -ne 's/^.* - //p' | sed -e 's/ /_/g')

Remember to set [PATH_TO_WIKILYRICS_ROOT_DIR] og [qt3/gtk/tk] to what applies to your system.

Audacious will no search for the lyrics to the song just started, and display lyrics in a popup window.
There's currently no option to make ruby reuse old windows, so to make the window close when the song changes,
punch in
Code:

killall -9 ruby

in the field labelled "command to run at the end of song"

Yes, it's kind of hacky and certainly not pretty, but I could find no other way to make the window close. If you don't use that, you'll end up having 40 windows on your desktop after a while.

Well, it works.
It's on the whole very hacky, and certainly not very pretty, but it does it's job ok.
If other information comes up I'll update the guide =)

Best of luck people! =)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: