Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo Website.... An Idea
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

In which way does this sound interesting to you?
It sounds great, I can't wait to start some css hacking
19%
 19%  [ 8 ]
It sounds great. I can't wait to see what people produce.
63%
 63%  [ 26 ]
"I couldn't can less" or "Whats the point" or "Boring!"
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
I don't like it or think it is a bad idea.
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Gentoo Website.... An Idea Reply with quote

Introduction:

As almost everyone is aware, there was an attempt to redesign the Gentoo Website. After a long and drawn out process it was declared a failure. I don't want to discuss the past as it is over and done with. Earlier this year I checked out the old www-redesign tree, threw it into git and then started cleaning it up ( more like getting it to just work actually ). Currently the www-redesign's 3 possible styles look ~OK~. While doing this a number of things have been happening, the most important of which is the effort to involve the community more within the in's and out's of Gentoo. Now, I want to get the community helping out with the website look and feel.

Plan:
To provide my git repository to everyone so they can clone it and start making modifications to the website as they see fit ( keep reading there will be exceptions ). As users complete their website I will check it out and if I like it pull in into my tree.

Motivation:
I would actually like this to turn into something resembling the linux development process. Where people maintain tree's and other's clone them make changes and eventually those changes get pushed up into my main tree. I would also like this to be fun.

Eventually it would be interesting to see whether we could set up competitions and the like, but that is probably looking too far ahead.

Considerations:

• I am not made of time, therefore I will not answer questions about the inner workings of the xml/xslt.
  • I am not made of time, my hope is that I will be able to manage the workload but only time will tell.
  • This is for fun and enjoyment, over all other considerations. If things turn nasty then my involvement will end ( don't even try push me ).
  • I make no guaranties that this will ever become the "new website" or even be available from gentoo infrastructure.
  • I make no guaranties that this will ever become the "new website" or even be available from gentoo infrastructure.

Technical Considerations:

I don't currently expect many people to fully understand this part. Just consider that we have 1) the xml (content). 2) the xslt ( the outputted xhtml ) and 3) the css ( the look and feel ).

• Changes to the xslt will be difficult to get into my tree. Only if they don't break other styles, or you provide a fix for the other styles will they be accepted.
  • There will be NO changes to the xml structure. We use our own version of guide xml and there will be no additions to it.
  • Must pass it's relevant w3c standards. No hacky IE grap will be accepted into my tree unless the motivations change.
  • I'm sure there are lots more, but they can come at a later date. Just realize that I am king of my own tree as you will be of yours.

So what do ppl think? I am only interested in starting this if the community is interested. There are lots of different things that need to be worked out ( like how do we host user websites, etc )

Please lets just start with whether it sounds like a good idea or not. The detail can come out in time.

[Edit]
Public git repository is located at git://github.com/alistair/gentoo-unofficial-wwwredesign.git

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec

Last edited by alistair on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea quite a lot and I'll try (for the first time) to contribute even though I'm not really a CSS guru - but I'm eager to contribute as far as I can ...

And don't be afraid about your time eaten up - just stand to the things you like to do! :)

Greetz
swimmer
neysx
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[x] none of the above

Last edited by neysx on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neysx wrote:
You forgot some options.
(*) It's already been done years ago
( ) Someone else is already working on improving the current site. I have made a few tweaks to nichoj's version and will host it in a couple for weeks

Nevertheless...
alistair wrote:
This is for fun and enjoyment
So why rain on the parade?

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
MarioCorleone
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a beautiful idea!
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario18 wrote:
what a beautiful idea!

++

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixnut wrote:
neysx wrote:
You forgot some options.
( ) Someone else is already working on improving the current site. I have made a few tweaks to nichoj's version and will host it in a couple for weeks

Nevertheless...

What has already been done years ago?

The current site is html4 using table layouts and all that wonderfully outdated stuff.
www-redesign is xhtml-1.0 + css. Tables are confined to where they belong.

nixnut wrote:

alistair wrote:

Whose parade am I raining on? If your referring to the rules I have thrown together, they are their to mainly stop everyone from breaking everyones else stuff and having the whole thing turn into a pile of muck...

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
seqizz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: :\ Reply with quote

Good idea, i think.. :roll:
alkan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a beautiful idea!

Last edited by alkan on Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not. The website is seriously out of date in terms of look and feel. Something needs to happen, anything that might speed or help that process is a good thing if people have the time.

Cheers,
jcat
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistair wrote:
nixnut wrote:
neysx wrote:
You forgot some options.

Nevertheless...
alistair wrote:

Whose parade am I raining on? If your referring to the rules I have thrown together, they are their to mainly stop everyone from breaking everyones else stuff and having the whole thing turn into a pile of muck...

I think you're misunderstanding; nesyx was the one being asked that question.

Quote:
The current site is html4 using table layouts and all that wonderfully outdated stuff.
www-redesign is xhtml-1.0 + css. Tables are confined to where they belong.

I think it's a great idea, although I'd prefer straight HTML with CSS. That's a minor point though, since it's output from guideXML (which is a lovely format imo.)

http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200501/the_perils_of_using_xhtml_properly/

Good luck with it: it should definitely be possible to swap stylesheets in and out to have radically different layouts. I'm not a designer, but for anyone who is (and hasn't seen it) check out http://www.csszengarden.com/ for the possibilities.
This is a good article for the more technically-minded: http://www.digital-web.com/articles/strategies_for_css_switching/
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

I think it's a great idea, although I'd prefer straight HTML with CSS. That's a minor point though, since it's output from guideXML (which is a lovely format imo.)

http://www.hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200501/the_perils_of_using_xhtml_properly/

I'm a bit of a standards monkey when it comes to the web. I also have no interest in getting the site to work on things like IE6 ( IE7+ I probably wouldn't mind ). But hopefully we will all be able to scratch our own itches :D

Also thanks for those links, interesting reading.

NathanZachary

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, an area with which I might be able to help out. :) I think it is a nice idea, as the Gentoo site, in my opinion, could use a face lift.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistair wrote:
I'm a bit of a standards monkey when it comes to the web. I also have no interest in getting the site to work on things like IE6 ( IE7+ I probably wouldn't mind ). But hopefully we will all be able to scratch our own itches :D

Heh I don't care either, only I have to for work. Starting from guideXML is fine since we can apply different stylesheets according to user-agent/ settings. I'll gladly do an accessible one ;p
kalos wrote:
Finally, an area with which I might be able to help out. :)

Yay!

I sincerely hope you guys are going to come through and actually produce something. There's a couple of threads with people talking about doing stuff, but I've been hearing that for ages (and no-one ever comes online to collaborate;)

Not being a squib; just want to see if you really mean it.
G2k
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't mind helping out on a new website, please let me know if anyone decides to start working on one.
Pallidula rigida nudula,
Nec ut soles dabis iocos...
- Imp. Caesar Hadrianus
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

G2k wrote:
i wouldn't mind helping out on a new website, please let me know if anyone decides to start working on one.

How about if you are interested you send me an email at ali_bush @ gentoo.org. That way I will know who is interested and will have a means of contacting everyone. Sadly I won't be making any progress on this this week as i'm flat out with other commitments. but if you email I will respond and we can start bring ideas to the table.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: