I have a AMD Duron chip
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hashbangslashbinslashbash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: I have a AMD Duron chip Reply with quote

My desktop can connect to the internet now on Ubuntu, but I'm not sure if it will still be able to when I boot from a CD, will the LiveCD (686) be okay for a Duron machine? And if not, will a Minimal x86 cd still be able to connect to the internet based on Ubuntu currently being able to? (in other words, will it somehow magicaly connect out-of-the-box so long as the network card in my desktop is wired to my BT router, Ubuntu magically didwithout me having to configure anything, so... now I don't know what to expect)?

Any advise much appreciated.
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I have a AMD Duron chip Reply with quote

hashbangslashbinslashbash wrote:
so... now I don't know what to expect)?

I guess the only way for you to know is give it a go mate. :D
It should work fine on a duron. I did it without any problems.
Set your CFLAGS -march=athlon etc...
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All versions of the duron were 686 so the livecd will run fine. Might run slow since it's an older processor; not sure though.

And yes the livecd (and basic x86 minimal install cd) will most likely get network setup automagically just like ubuntu since the livecd defaults to trying for dhcp.

Though since it sounds like you've already got a ubuntu livecd... boot THAT and install gentoo through it.

edit:
And DON'T listen to the above post and the comment on CFLAGS.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Duron_.28AMD.29
So if your processor is the 600-900 MHz range use -march=athlon-tbird and if it's above 900 then use -march=athlon-xp since the later, faster durons used a different core/
hashbangslashbinslashbash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses guys, before I even saw them I did give it ago and woah, it did just magically work. The setup took alot longer to start setting up, but I'm on my way.

The part in the handbook about what flags to use did lose me abit, I think I'll have to edit the CFLAGS and add -march=athlon-xp in there, hopefully that'll work, not suyre how the installation handles such back-tracking. And I'm totally unsure what else to add or where to find advise.... hey, if I show my lspci or dmidecode output here could someone suggest what CFLAGS to add? Or point me in the direction of some sort of refference page...
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hashbangslashbinslashbash wrote:
I think I'll have to edit the CFLAGS and add -march=athlon-xp in there, hopefully that'll work, not suyre how the installation handles such back-tracking. And I'm totally unsure what else to add or where to find advise.... hey, if I show my lspci or dmidecode output here could someone suggest what CFLAGS to add? Or point me in the direction of some sort of refference page...

When I ran a Duron I used this - which worked just fine,
Code:
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon -pipe"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: