Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[NEWS] 2008.0_beta1 unleashed. No joke.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is a bug or malfunctioning hardware, hence my post here:

If I try to boot the minimal cd on my laptop, I only get a grub prompt. If I try to manually enter
Code:
grub> kernel /boot<tab>

I get
Code:
Error 12: Invalid device requested

I performed hash checks of both the iso and the cd after burning it and it boots just fine in vbox (the physical cd), so the only possibility left is that there's something wrong with the drive in my laptop. It's working with other cds though.

Edit: forgot to say that I downloaded install-x86-minimal-2008.0_beta1.iso
nibble
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spl wrote:

If I try to boot the minimal cd on my laptop, I only get a grub prompt. If I try to manually enter
Code:
grub> kernel /boot<tab>

I get
Code:

I performed hash checks of both the iso and the cd after burning it and it boots just fine in vbox (the physical cd), so the only possibility left is that there's something wrong with the drive in my laptop. It's working with other cds though.

I've had this issue with multiple livecds before, just enter your bios setup at boot and change the sata mode from ahci to ide. You'll just have to hunt around for the setting, it should be there assuming you have a sata disk.

Also does everybody have the 2008.0 profile on the minimal cd now, because the amd64 minimal I burned a few hours ago still doesn't seem to have it...
V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmtongar wrote:

As a dev of course that is your privelige...

If you're refering to my announcement about 2008.0_beta1 not containing a valid profile, well, that bug was requested to be reopened this morning.

I have to underline that I am no dev, just a simple user who's enjoying Gentoo (by no means an expert, and probably never will be), but grinning/laughing at user(s) who in a polite manner (perhaps also a bit frustrated) are pointing out what could be considered a bug, may be pretty close to shooting oneselves in the foot.

... and for the HDA/SDA announcement... what can I say, we all make mistakes... Haven't we all made them? :roll:

gmtongar

I was talking about your announcement that the images will propagate to the mirrors in the thread for the news item "Beta delayed". People were hunting the isos then without an official announcement...and I don't accuse you or am mad at you, just some satisfaction that your eagerness has bitten you. :-P Call it schadenfreude or malicious joy. :lol:
spl
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nibble wrote:
I've had this issue with multiple livecds before, just enter your bios setup at boot and change the sata mode from ahci to ide. You'll just have to hunt around for the setting, it should be there assuming you have a sata disk.

There is no SATA in this laptop, so no AHCI options in the BIOS which is ...lets say minimalistic, so also no further IDE options available for tuning...

Btw:
Code:
grub> kernel (hd<tab>

only shows up my harddrive as hd0,X.

I don't know of any further information I could supply so please let me know how I can help or if I should file a bug report.
snilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to check if I got things right before filing any bugs. I tried the amd64 live DVD on a new hardware and had some problems with starting X so I tried the nox alternative. The motd states that you can "You can start the installer by typing "installer" at the prompt below", but the no such command. Reading the 2008.0 AMD64 Networkless Handbook instead under Using the Dialog based Gentoo Linux Installer it sugest the installer-dialog instead but neither that could be found.

The bottom line, am I doing something wrong?
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snilsson wrote:
Just to check if I got things right before filing any bugs. I tried the amd64 live DVD on a new hardware and had some problems with starting X so I tried the nox alternative. The motd states that you can "You can start the installer by typing "installer" at the prompt below", but the no such command. Reading the 2008.0 AMD64 Networkless Handbook instead under Using the Dialog based Gentoo Linux Installer it sugest the installer-dialog instead but neither that could be found.

The bottom line, am I doing something wrong?

Sounds like you're just following the instructions. There's a bug somewhere.
snilsson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filed bug But having some time tonight I thought trying install using the new Knoppix release. First impression pretty nice, then... no sata devices. Back to square one :roll: Some lessons are hard learned
Moonboots
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spl wrote:

Code:
grub> kernel /boot<tab>

I get
Code:

Looks like a bug - I'm getting the same error , just the grub prompt , booting from a usb dvd drive using either the minimal or livecd/dvd.
Never encountered this problem with the 2007.0 disks.
gmtongar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-Li wrote:
gmtongar wrote:

As a dev of course that is your privelige...

If you're refering to my announcement about 2008.0_beta1 not containing a valid profile, well, that bug was requested to be reopened this morning.

I have to underline that I am no dev, just a simple user who's enjoying Gentoo (by no means an expert, and probably never will be), but grinning/laughing at user(s) who in a polite manner (perhaps also a bit frustrated) are pointing out what could be considered a bug, may be pretty close to shooting oneselves in the foot.

... and for the HDA/SDA announcement... what can I say, we all make mistakes... Haven't we all made them? :roll:

gmtongar

I was talking about your announcement that the images will propagate to the mirrors in the thread for the news item "Beta delayed". People were hunting the isos then without an official announcement...and I don't accuse you or am mad at you, just some satisfaction that your eagerness has bitten you. :-P Call it schadenfreude or malicious joy. :lol:

I had to reread this one. And you're absolutely right. I didn't see/react to the post you'd made earlier. If I had I would certainly not continue to announce what had already been announced serveral hours before... must have been blinded by the terminal. :roll: I was at the time installing gentoo through ssh, which I had to redo a couple of times (one was actually aborted in my joy of discovering the Gentoo 2008_beta)... which you know the story of... :wink:

So my apology for sounding a bit harsh... gmtongar
rakey
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a fresh Gentoo install is done from the 2008.0beta CD, and they come out with a more stable version shortly after, emerge --update world should bring everything out of beta to the stable release correct?
unaos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In what will likely prove to be a controversial decision, Portage 2.1 will adopt the RPM format for all packages moving forward. The use of ebuilds will be deprecated in favor of the defacto RPM standard.

i don't get it, get will no more be a source-based distro ??
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unaos wrote:
Quote:
In what will likely prove to be a controversial decision, Portage 2.1 will adopt the RPM format for all packages moving forward. The use of ebuilds will be deprecated in favor of the defacto RPM standard.

I think this was a April fools joke. I personally don't think it was to funny but . . . . :cry: :cry:

Now, slap your forehead, like I did, and go "Oh". :lol:

:D :D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dalek wrote:
unaos wrote:
Quote:

I think this was a April fools joke. I personally don't think it was to funny but . . . . :cry: :cry:

The point of April Fools' jokes isn't to be funny, it's to fool people. It clearly worked. =)
praka123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^that "joke" we can tolerate!
but,see what archlinux forum admins did!they made the entire forum to german on 1st april!ppl are getting mad like anything! :lol: many proclaimed they are leaving arch for gentoo ,crux etc!though after sometime,the site was full of anger messages.(and germans who typed "viva la deutcheland" =)

arch's message on 1st april:
Quote:
Ankündigung

Important Notice for English Archers

Over the past two months, great discussion has passed on the private development list, and we have come to the conclusion that keeping Arch as a primarily English distro is a disservice to our largest user-base. As such, we have decided in majority vote to change the official, primary language of Arch Linux to German.

Please bear with us during this transition - we are working closely with archlinux.de to facilitate the switch, at which point we plan to merge the websites. Knowing the great community behind Arch, we are sure a community project will arise quickly to fill the small void left when we completely discontinue the English site.

Also, please note we're now using the German pronunciation for "Arch".
Don't worry, you'll get used to it - 90% of our devs already are!

V-Li
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rakey wrote:
If a fresh Gentoo install is done from the 2008.0beta CD, and they come out with a more stable version shortly after, emerge --update world should bring everything out of beta to the stable release correct?

The tree is not beta, only the state of the liveCD and the selection of drivers. So if your installation succeeds it has nothing to do with beta or alpha or release status. So yes, you are in some way right.
dalek
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dberkholz wrote:
dalek wrote:

The point of April Fools' jokes isn't to be funny, it's to fool people. It clearly worked. =)

Well, it didn't fool me. I just thought someone has went nuts on the dev team. 8O

praka123 wrote:
^that "joke" we can tolerate!

Yea, as long as it was a joke. If Gentoo started using rpms, I would be very upset. I left Mandrake, now Mandriva, because of the rpm . . . crap. :oops: Almost typed the wrong thing. :twisted:

:D :D :D
Cooler Master HAF-932 Case
praka123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the livecd contains any mechanisms to generate initramfs ? yeah,does gentoo got "mkinitramfs" ?I want to generate a initramfs for the kernel(enabled initramfs support already in the kernel).
can someone help? :cry: :oops:
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, please note we're now using the German pronunciation for "Arch".
Oh that is too funny!
xalex2010
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: dmraid install Reply with quote

I was glad to see the 2008.0 release has dmraid support. I got my fakeraid (nvidia) up with no problems, but the installser doesn't seem to support installing to dmraid (/dev/mapper/) devices.
I need dmraid to access my fakeraid (level 0) devices, in order to dual boot windows.
Has anyone found a way around this?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just used the amd64 minimal cd to install in a thinkpad t60 (ICH7) and it worked. The only thing that I could report about it was the absence of DMA for my machine.
praka123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think system rescue cd(gentoo based) is a good install host!(I installed from this!) :wink:
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: dmraid install Reply with quote

xalex2010 wrote:
I was glad to see the 2008.0 release has dmraid support. I got my fakeraid (nvidia) up with no problems, but the installser doesn't seem to support installing to dmraid (/dev/mapper/) devices.
I need dmraid to access my fakeraid (level 0) devices, in order to dual boot windows.
Has anyone found a way around this?

Don't use the installer. =)
anz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do not beat me ...
... but after booting from the live-2008-beta-install-CD ...
... if i try to "double click" on the icon named "Gentoo Linux Handook" an error appears
Quote:
"Failed to open URL "file:///cdrom/docs/handbook/html/index.html"
index.html not supported

Xorg and xfce are working perfectly on intel 965GM (notebook X61).
As mentioned above i cannot load maps via loadkey

A very stupid question (sorry): is planned a version of live-2008 cd with kernel 2.6.24? Would be nice, because to get a working wlan iwl4965 is needed on my compi ... (sorry for that question again)
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anz wrote:
Please do not beat me ...
... but after booting from the live-2008-beta-install-CD ...
... if i try to "double click" on the icon named "Gentoo Linux Handook" an error appears
Quote:
"Failed to open URL "file:///cdrom/docs/handbook/html/index.html"
index.html not supported

Xorg and xfce are working perfectly on intel 965GM (notebook X61).
As mentioned above i cannot load maps via loadkey

A very stupid question (sorry): is planned a version of live-2008 cd with kernel 2.6.24? Would be nice, because to get a working wlan iwl4965 is needed on my compi ... (sorry for that question again)

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215956 has already been filed for your handbook issue.

2.6.24 is now in the snapshot used for release building and planned to be on beta2 and the final release.
wolf31o2
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, would people seriously quit reporting bugs here. The only reason we're even looking here is because people keep doing it and it is wasting a lot of our time in gathering bug reports to fix for Beta 2. If you want to know if something's been reported, use the following link.

http://tinyurl.com/6dsrwm (Bugzilla link to all 2008.0_beta1 bugs)

If you have a bug of your own to report, please use https://bugs.gentoo.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Gentoo%20Release%20Media after searching for your bug using the above link.

Thank you,
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: