View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: HOWTO get synaptics touchpad working on 2.6.0 Reply with quote

I've been having problems getting my Synaptics touchpad on my Gentoo laptop working on the development kernels from 2.5.70 on. I finally got it working on 2.6.0-test1 but only after cobbling together information from different sources, so I thought I would summarize it all here in one spot. The solution I have might work with kernels > 2.5.70, but I haven't gone back to try.

1. When compiling your kernel make sure that under "Input device support" you compile in "Event interface", which allows input device events to be accessible via /dev/input/eventX, where X will be a number that varies from machine to machine. I have this compiled directly into the kernel, since I use the touchpad all the time.

2. Compile your kernel and install it in /boot as you normally would. Reboot using your brand new kernel.

3. Figure out what input event devices your system is tracking by looking in /dev/input. You should see some input devices as follows:
Code:
# ls /dev/input
event0  event1  event2  mice  mouse0

4. Figure out which input event devicce corresponds to the touchpad by typing:
Code:
# cat /dev/input/event0

and then running your finger over the touchpad. If this is the right input device, there will be a bunch of garbage on the screen as you use the touchpad. If not, cat the other eventX devices until you find the right one.

5. Install the latest version of the Synaptics touchpad driver, located at http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/index.html. Extract the archive, and copy the driver "synaptics_drv.o" into the XFree module folder, which usually is at /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/. You will have to do this as root.

6. Modify your /etc/X11/XF86Config file as follows:
a. In the module section of XF86Config, add the line
Code:
Load "synaptics"

b. Add or modify the InputDevice section of XF86Config so that you have these settings for the touchpad. This is what my XF86Config looks like:
Code:
# Touchpad - Synaptics driver

Section "InputDevice"
    Driver      "synaptics"
    Identifier  "Mouse [touchpad]"
    Option      "Device"       "/dev/input/event0"
    Option      "Protocol"     "event"
    Option      "LeftEdge"     "1900"
    Option      "RightEdge"    "5400"
    Option      "BottomEdge"   "1800"
    Option      "TopEdge"      "3900"
    Option      "FingerLow"    "25"
    Option      "FingerHigh"   "30"
    Option      "MaxTapTime"   "180"
    Option      "MaxTapMove"   "220"
    Option      "VertScrollDelta" "100"
    Option      "MinSpeed"     "0.02"
    Option      "MaxSpeed"     "0.18"
    Option      "AccelFactor"  "0.0010"
#    Option      "Repeater"     "/dev/ps2mouse"
#    Option      "SHMConfig"    "on"
EndSection

Replace the entry for Option "Device" with the input device that you found in step 4.

7. Start up X. Hopefully the above will work, and your Synaptics touchpad will be fully functional. All of the touchpad functions on my notebook seem to work now.

Good luck!
lannie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay ! it works for kernel 2.6.0 test-1 ! :D
thx for the info!

-Lan
tdemarest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Another solution for Dell Latitude C400 Reply with quote

Thanks for documenting this. I'm having the same problem on a Dell Latitude C400, but following your instructions didn't seem to help - X will start but complains that it can't find a valid touchpad.

I had to use the approach documented at http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.3/0677.html but with a few slight modifications. These steps will get it working by apparently putting the touchpad into PS/2 compatibility mode. A hack, but a working pointer is better than no pointer at all!

Configure the kernel with psmouse support as a module or compiled into the kernel. I already had it compiled into the kernel. Make sure you enable the following under Input Device Support: Input Devices, Event Interface, Mice->PS/2 Mouse.

Compile the kernel and install it.

Now, you have two choices on how to configure /etc/X11/XF86Config. The first one works with both 2.4.x and the 2.6.0-beta1 kernels, so if you are jumping around between 2.4.x and 2.6.x, this is the easiest way to go:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier "Mouse0"
       Driver     "mouse"
       Option     "Protocol"  "auto"
       Option     "Device"    "/dev/misc/psaux"
    EndSection

If you are strictly 2.6.x (and maybe 2.5.70 and above), this works as well:

Code:

Section "InputDevice"
       Identifier "Mouse0"
       Driver     "mouse"
       Option     "Protocol"  "auto"
       Option     "Device"    "/dev/input/mouse"
    EndSection

Regardless of which device entry you use above you also need to make sure that the mouse module, if you compiled mouse support as a module, is loaded with the option:
    Code:
    psmouse_noext=1

If you have compiled the mouse support into the kernel, then pass the option on the kernel line. My grub entry for 2.6.0-beta1 looks like this:

Code:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.0-beta1 root=/dev/hda3 acpi=on vga=0x305 video=mtrr,vesa:1024x768 psmouse_noext=1

Reboot using the new kernel, and start X. Hopefully it comes up with the pointer. I've noticed it takes a few seconds before the mouse is recognized, so be patient while X figures things out.

Last edited by tdemarest on Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
latexer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a small note, spyderous has added the synaptics driver to the latest xfree-4.3.0-r3.ebuild. saves you the time of downloading and mucking by hand. just need to do the X configuration stuff.

#gentoo-dotnet on freenode
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Another solution for Dell Latitude C400 Reply with quote

tdemarest wrote:
Thanks for documenting this. I'm having the same problem on a Dell Latitude C400, but following your instructions didn't seem to help - X will start but complains that it can't find a valid touchpad.

I had to use the approach documented at http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.3/0677.html but with a few slight modifications. These steps will get it working by apparently putting the touchpad into PS/2 compatibility mode. A hack, but a working pointer is better than no pointer at all!

Actually, up until I got my touchpad working, PS/2 compatibility mode was what I was using as well.

Hopefully you'll get full functionality soon. It looks like some Synaptics patches are still being worked on with the 2.6 series.
tdemarest
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Got it working: had to update Dell BIOS Reply with quote

I updated my C400 BIOS from A03 to A11 (the latest) and now I have 2.6.0-test1 and the touchpad working using the Synaptic's driver (the one bundled with the current xfree ebuild) and your instructions.

Tim
kodos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Tap to click Reply with quote

Recently after doing a emerge -u world my tap to click stopped working. Xfree-4.3.0-r3 was emerged in, with synaptics driver included, so I believe that this is my problem. I was using kernel 2.4.20-gentoo-r5 and after the update I was unable to use the advanced features of the touchpad such as scrolling along the right side of the pad and tap to click. After looking at the log file, and this post, I decided to try using kernel 2.6.0. Now, I almost have it working again. Everything seems ok except the tap to click. I've spent some time reading a number of threads about this and I seem to see that tap to click was disabled in the kernel driver as of late 2.5.x kernels. Does anyone have tap to click working on 2.6.0 with the synaptics_drv.o that was built with xfree-4.3.0-r3, and if so what did you do to get it working? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
madtomkidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: i´m confused... Reply with quote

I don´t exactly understand this... but, i didn´t do anything unusual...

I´m running 2.6.0-test2-mm2.

I compiled stuff as listed in the beginning for the kernel, plus mouse support (but didn´t select the synaptics driver).

So, I can use my mouse and double tap for clicking, but my scrolling is gone.

With the default gentoo-sources (2.4.20-r5) i didn´t have to do anything and it all worked.

Do i need to do this synaptics driver thing to get the scroll to work?

btw... i´m on an HP ze4145 amd if that helps.

Thanks!
Reformist
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this synaptics driver stuff is quite strange. I've never had a problem with my touchpad in 2.4.x; clicking, dragging, tap-clicking and tap-dragging, scrolling etc. has all worked fine... now with 2.6.x, I have to do all of this runaround...
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for the writeup wilberpan, I tend to avoid looking through any posts that accumulate to more then five pages (as the 2.5 and 2.6 kernel threads did/do) to find that tidbit of information on why my hardware isnt working properly...mabye its just me but the howto stuff which stays around a single page and gives me explicit instructions tends to tickle my fancy more...

Anyway, instructions worked perfectly for a dell inspiron 5150, save one detail, how do I/can I run tpconfig with this driver (I want to get the lefttouch and righttouch via going)

running tpconfig
as a user i get:
fatal: Could not open PS/2 Port [/dev/psaux]

as root i get:
fatal:

No Synaptics or ALPS touchpad device found

but the thing is that I *only* seem to get mouse input from /dev/input/event1, /dev/mouse and perhaps more importantly /dev/psaux dont give me anything when I cat them and use the mouse, so im not sure that tpconfig is even checking in the right place (not am I sure that It could interpert the event interface)
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moved to Docs, tips & tricks
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalin wrote:
Anyway, instructions worked perfectly for a dell inspiron 5150, save one detail, how do I/can I run tpconfig with this driver (I want to get the lefttouch and righttouch via going)

Sorry, can't help you much there. I don't use tpconfig. I tried emerging it, and got the same error you did. Up/down and left/right scrolling with the touchpad works for me.

Regarding the output from /dev/input/eventX, on my laptop event0 appears to be linked to my touchpad, event1 is linked to my keyboard (pushing keys leads to a lot of garbage, even with just pushing the shift key), and event2 is linked to my USB mouse.
watashiwaotaku7
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a note, there is a synaptics driver in the 2.6.0-test2-mm4 kernel maybe in other versions too, does anyone know anything about using this?
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the kernel-supplied synaptics driver, which didn't work for me. Hence, my original post in this thread.
Garbz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the advantages of running the synaptics touchpad driver over my current setup of IMPS/2 on psaux. Also considering on my Dell i4100 i use a ps2 mouse too some times will synaptics driver screw my mouse? DO i need to go to usb ?
Diezel
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still having problems here. When using the synaptics driver X just halts. Or actually the whole computer halts. Only way out is to poweroff (hardware).
I have everything set up according to this thread but it wont work.
Just want to use 2.6 because it seems to support the BIOS on the Compaq EVO 800v so I finally get battery readings.
FLUG member 473
Narada
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I have reported this issue to the kernel.org bugzilla as bug 1072. If any of you would like to add to what I've said or report individual issues please do so by adding comments to that bug report giving full details of your machine. Don't forget to report all issues that you may have with 2.6 kernel series so that the final release may be as stable and featureful as possible. Many thanks.
quark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: tap clicking to work Reply with quote

Thanx for the howto.

I followed it and _nearly_ everything worked. I was missing clicking with tapping the pad. To get it to work, I had to change Option "Protocol" to "auto-dev" in my XF86Config:

Code:
Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"

Now everything is working :P
skunk
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it works only if psmouse is compiled into the kernel for me
indeed, if i try to load the module after booting (or adding it into /etc/modules.autoload), the module loads without errors, but doesn't work in X
hw: dell inspiron 8100
kernel: 2.6.0-test3-mm2
bbarrera
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the HOWTO!

First I used psmouse_noext=1 method (ps/2 compatibility mode) and as expected lost "tap to click" and other desireable features.

Then I loaded synpatics_drv.o into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input and added entries to /etc/X11/XF86Config and rebooted.

Now the touchpad works just as in kernel 2.4 series. Next I'll try without ps/2 compatibility mode.

Dell Inspiron 4100
amigafan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, wilbupans howto works nice here on a gericom webgine. But I ask myself if its possible to load two input devices so that a ps2-mouse does also work. Any idea?
quark
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure with ps2 mouse, but usb works fine with touchpad. Here are relevant parts of my XF86Config:

This is in "Core Pointer's InputDevice section"
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "usbMouse"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Driver        "synaptics"
  Identifier    "touchpad"
  Option        "Device"          "/dev/input/event0"
  Option        "Protocol"        "auto-dev"
  Option        "Edges"           "1900 5400 1800 3900"
  Option        "Finger"          "25 30"
  Option        "MaxTapTime"      "180"
  Option        "MaxTapMove"      "220"
  Option        "VertScrollDelta" "100"
  Option        "MinSpeed"        "0.02"
  Option        "MaxSpeed"        "0.18"
  Option        "AccelFactor"     "0.0010"
#  Option       "Repeater"         "/dev/ps2mouse"
#  Option       "SHMConfig"        "on"
EndSection

and this is in "ServerLayout sections"
Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier  "Simple Layout"
    Screen "Screen 1"
    InputDevice "touchpad" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "usbMouse" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Hope this helps you :)
sepp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have to configure anything special with kernel 2.6.0-test7 and xfree-4.3.99.13. just enabled synaptics driver in kernel (input devices) and created XFree config file with xf86cfg. everything got autodedected and worked out of the box.
nalin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sepp wrote:
I didn't have to configure anything special with kernel 2.6.0-test7 and xfree-4.3.99.13. just enabled synaptics driver in kernel (input devices) and created XFree config file with xf86cfg. everything got autodedected and worked out of the box.

The scrolling and what not too? (I ask only because I was not aware I had this feature until a friend with the same computer running windows commented on my lack of it)
watersb
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nalin wrote:

The scrolling and what not too?

Yes, the scrolling works for me -- I drag my finger along the right edge of the touchpad, it's like the mouse wheel on a wheel mouse. So I get scrolling in my XTerms without sacrificing screen real-estate to a scroll bar. And I get it in Emacs my enabling "mouse-wheel-mode" minor mode.

Dragging along the bottom edge of the touchpad results in another axis of wheel-mouse-age, interpreted by some programs as horizontal scrolling.

I had posted in previous forums that the Synaptics support is not there yet -- but with the 2.6.0-test kernels, it is working very well for me. (Dell Inspiron 8000).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: