Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Portage utilities not in portage
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Portage utilities not in portage Reply with quote

Mod edit: Unstuck, list is unmaintained and the script repo is discontinued. --kallamej 2009-10-22

I'm making a list of portage utilities that aren't in portage. These are utilities or applications that would fit in the app-portage category, not general Gentoo related software. Private Message me and/or add your utility to this thread and I'll update the list.

If you sent me a utility to list but you don't see it, please send it again. I may have overlooked it.

THIS LIST IS FROZEN!
Please visit the new script repository:
http://gentooexperimental.org/script/repo/list

I won't be updating this list any longer. The script repository now has all scripts in this list (and more) available for direct download.

Last updated: Mar 24, 2005

Now listed by Category:

Newest additions, not categorized yet:

enotice Tackles the most popular portage feature request ever: per-package message logging.
The patches are outdated, so use the second method. It only takes a minute to setup, its painless and its just what you need.
http://dev.gentoo.org/~eldad/

Feb 18, 2005:
Genu is a portage front-end written in mono.
http://www.markus-jonsson.com/projects/genu/
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-297256.html

Feb 09, 2005:
prlock.py (Portage Rsync Lockdown) creates a exclude list for portage's rsync. This can dramatically reduce the size of your rsync file list.
WARNING: Follow the directions. If you get some kind of dependency error you'd better comment RSYNC_EXCLUDEFROM and do a full sync before reporting any bugs on bugs.gentoo.org
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=55031

Jan 20, 2005:
rtkmerge is back from the grave and has been updated
to work with current versions of portage:
http://rtkmerge.webhop.net/
or
http://www.forchheimer.se/rtkmerge/

Jan 05, 2005:
portage browser is a php script to browse your local portage tree.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=274819

Dec 14, 2004:
md5check is a portage md5 checksum verification tool. It can show you which files have changed or been removed since you emerged a package.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=266365

unclepine helps you with un-merging recursive dependencies.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=260866

Nov 16, 2004:
regenpkgdb will attempt to re-generate a "Oops! I needed that?" /var/db/pkg
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spyderous/scripts/regenpkgdb

Nov 12, 2004:
portage toys is perhaps the name of a script for per-package CFLAGS. See these for info:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1749445
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/21760

USE & CFLAGS related utilities


etc-update replacements
Ever get the feeling people don't like etc-update?


emerge utilities


Cleaning utilities


Informational utilities


Portage replacements (database backends)


Miscellaneous


Last edited by Pythonhead on Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:39 am; edited 134 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice summary, some notes
- deltup is in portage (sys-apps/deltup), but there are only a few delta files available
- splat was added yesterday (app-admin/splat)
- your repoman-local link pointed to the first version, I fixed this and symlinked it to version 6 on the server (for current stable portage).
- additional package: genlop (in portage: app-admin/genlop, URL: http://pollycoke.org/genlop.html ), another logfile parser, IIRC splat is based on this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
nice summary, some notes
- deltup is in portage (sys-apps/deltup), but there are only a few delta files available
- splat was added yesterday (app-admin/splat)
- your repoman-local link pointed to the first version, I fixed this and symlinked it to version 6 on the server (for current stable portage).
- additional package: genlop (in portage: app-admin/genlop, URL: http://pollycoke.org/genlop.html ), another logfile parser, IIRC splat is based on this.


Thanks for corrections/additions.

I'll modify the original post. Since I don't know of any list of all the portage utilities in portage either I think I'll divide the list into utils in portage and not in portage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
haceye
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 187
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I just saw the 'fastsearch' script and tried it. It seems as if it does the same job than my 'esearch' script.
Please don't understand me wrong, I don't want to praise my script, but I think it's more useful than 'fastsearch'. On my computer it generates the index a few times faster, and it has the advantage, that the output (should) be exactly the same as "emerge -s".

I would be very happy if you could take a look at it. The link to the ebuild is in my signature.

Thanks,

David
_________________
faster 'emerge -s'? emerge esearch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one point a new category app-portage (or sys-portage) would be useful, I'll propose this on the -dev list (I found at least 15 portage-related packages in the tree, enough for a new category).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey haceye,

I really like the output of esearch. I timed fastsearch and esearch doing an update of the database on my old clunker (700mhz w/ IDE drive):

esearch: 18 minutes
fastsearch: 3 minutes

On your website it shows an update time of 18 seconds. How did you get that amazing result?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haceye wrote:
I just saw the 'fastsearch' script and tried it. It seems as if it does the same job than my 'esearch' script.
Please don't understand me wrong, I don't want to praise my script, but I think it's more useful than 'fastsearch'. On my computer it generates the index a few times faster, and it has the advantage, that the output (should) be exactly the same as "emerge -s".


Well, my goal was not to replace emerge -s, something I don't like about it (beside the slowness) is that the result list can get very long because there are at least 6 lines per package, and I often only want to get the exact package name or the description (I might include a --verbose switch in a future version).

I just checked your script, some notes:
- it lacks a description-only search (not that important)
- the index generation is faster ? It says that it needed 20 minutes on my desktop (while fastsearch only needs 1 or 2).
- python regular expressions vs. grep expressions and options (I don't know if there are substantial differences)
- I don't like some parts of the update code (why unlinking the database source ?)
- relies on portage for database updates
- stores the database in /usr/lib
- oh, and of course my script is a bit faster and the db file smaller :wink:

I don't say it is bad but it doesn't fit my needs.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16113
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Portage & Programming.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
haceye
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 187
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Well, my goal was not to replace emerge -s, something I don't like about it (beside the slowness) is that the result list can get very long because there are at least 6 lines per package, and I often only want to get the exact package name or the description (I might include a --verbose switch in a future version).

Ok, that's an argument, but it is pretty easy to rewrite the output code, so it displays the results in a more compact way.

Genone wrote:
I just checked your script, some notes:
- it lacks a description-only search (not that important)

I never needed this feature and I didn't see that in emerge, I think it's really not that important...

Genone wrote:
- the index generation is faster ? It says that it needed 20 minutes on my desktop (while fastsearch only needs 1 or 2).

I just re-checked this. Your script is sometimes faster sometimes myone is (both about a minute on my 2,6Ghz P IV), I think these 18 seconds were measured after a previous call of 'eupdatedb', so maybe portage or my harddisk/filesystem cached some of the date somewhere, I don't know ;-)

Genone wrote:
- python regular expressions vs. grep expressions and options (I don't know if there are substantial differences)

Again, I used the python regular expressions because emerge did so, too. Secondly, my script is written in python, so why use grep? ;-)

Genone wrote:
- I don't like some parts of the update code (why unlinking the database source ?)

You're right, it really doesn't make any sense (ok, maybe to save some kilobytes on harddisk:-))

Genone wrote:
- relies on portage for database updates

Ok, but...? If you don't have portage, you probably won't search the portage tree?!

Genone wrote:
- stores the database in /usr/lib

Sorry, really didn't knew a better place to store it...

Genone wrote:
- oh, and of course my script is a bit faster and the db file smaller :wink:

That's a bit unfair :-). My script has to store the latest version (installed), size of download and the homepage, too.

Ok, but I have to confess. 20 minutes to update the index-file is definately too long!

David
_________________
faster 'emerge -s'? emerge esearch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jimbow
Guru
Guru


Joined: 18 Feb 2003
Posts: 597
Location: Silver City, NM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dell inspiron 8200 laptop with a 1.6 GHz P4. eupdatedb took 55 secs. Kudos to you both. I love the faster searches!
_________________
After Perl everything else is just assembly language.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 1978
Location: Rennes, France

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Pythonhead for this very useful summary.

I would add this to your list:
http://www.blorf.net/dispatch-conf/
It's a special version of "dispatch-conf" (the "etc-update"-like tool in python), which use a RCS repository for configuration backups.

Note also that it will probably soon be an "app-portage" category for this kind of tools: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/10274
It will be easier to know what does exists in the tree this way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGL wrote:
Note also that it will probably soon be an "app-portage" category for this kind of tools: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/10274
It will be easier to know what does exists in the tree this way.


Hey, I just proposed it, so far only one comment from liquidx, waiting for further input.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 02 Jun 2002
Posts: 1978
Location: Rennes, France

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:
Hey, I just proposed it
Oops, sorry, I've not seen your previous "I'll propose this on the -dev list", and have thought this was only a coincidence :)
Genone wrote:
so far only one comment
Probably because everybody think it's a too obviously good idea ;)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbow wrote:
I have a Dell inspiron 8200 laptop with a 1.6 GHz P4. eupdatedb took 55 secs. Kudos to you both. I love the faster searches!


Sheesh. Guess its time for a new pc for me.

I have been using both fastsearch and esearch extensively while coding ebuilds and they both work great and fill a slightly different need. Variety is good.

One feature I'd like to see for developers is a switch to allow just PORTDIR_OVERLAY get searched. I guess this would take two separate databases; I haven't looked at the code for either. I only emerge sync once a week or so but I'm constantly doing work in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it wouldn't take a lot of effort to add it.

It would also be very sweet to have a switch to show what etcat -v shows. Of course this would get out of date very quickly as you emerge packages, so could be misleading to rely on. Maybe not so good an idea, unless you emerge sync every day.

Another feature would be to show the time you last updated the database and the last time you did emerge sync every time it displays the search results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinchie
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 05 Mar 2003
Posts: 179
Location: The Netherlands

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pythonhead wrote:
...
I timed fastsearch and esearch doing an update of the database on my old clunker (700mhz w/ IDE drive):

esearch: 18 minutes
....


celeronator esearch # eupdatedb
* esearch-index generated in 452 seconds
* indexed 4932 ebuilds
* size of esearch-index: 759 kB

452 seconds = ~7.5 minutes.
(433 Mhz celeronator w/ IDE drive)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my other thread for further fastsearch discussion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I bugged seemant about it, looks like the category will be added (but he liked my link to http://mozex.mozdev.org more 8) )
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
floam
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 27 Oct 2002
Posts: 1067
Location: Vancouver, WA USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can take the unmasking stuff out of the list, since portage can do that nativly now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epretorious
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jul 2003
Posts: 191
Location: Truckee, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these utilities available as a package?
_________________
Eric P.
Sunnyvale, CA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
haceye
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 187
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback Pythonhead.

Pythonhead wrote:
I have been using both fastsearch and esearch extensively while coding ebuilds and they both work great and fill a slightly different need. Variety is good.

Yes, that's right. And we won't try to find the better one :-)

Pythonhead wrote:
One feature I'd like to see for developers is a switch to allow just PORTDIR_OVERLAY get searched. I guess this would take two separate databases; I haven't looked at the code for either. I only emerge sync once a week or so but I'm constantly doing work in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. Not a big deal, but it would be nice if it wouldn't take a lot of effort to add it.

Genone has already answered to this in his fastsearch-thread. Looking through his code, I think it wouldn't be that much work to seperate PORTDIR and PORTDIR_OVERLAY, but I also think that's not that important. As I said above, the index-generation should be a lot faster, if you use it in short time intervals, maybe that could help you a little bit.

Btw.: In esearch it's harder to realize this feature, because it depends on the portage code (portage.portdb.cp_all()) to get the packages, and portage makes no difference between the two directories, i think.

Pythonhead wrote:
It would also be very sweet to have a switch to show what etcat -v shows. Of course this would get out of date very quickly as you emerge packages, so could be misleading to rely on. Maybe not so good an idea, unless you emerge sync every day.

In the new version of esearch I added the option --compact. It compresses the output to a minimal.
Take a look at the example on http://david-peter.de/esearch.

(Thanks to Genone for the idea of having a one-line output for each package :-) )

Pythonhead wrote:
Another feature would be to show the time you last updated the database and the last time you did emerge sync every time it displays the search results.

Well, there are several scripts in the forums doing this job (didn't you write one, once? ;-) )
I think it would just bloat the code for the index-generation.



esearch-0.3.0
So, this is the new version of esearch. I changed a few things:
* database is stored in /var/cache/edb (Thanks to Genone, again)
* duration of index-generation is displayed in seconds or minutes and seconds if time > 60secs
* --nocolor switch, self-explaining
* --compact option, minimizing the output to one line per package
* bugfix, for some packages there are no ebuilds. Not including them in database.
* Not unlinking the source-file, anymore

Homepage: http://david-peter.de/esearch/
EBuild: http://david-peter.de/esearch/esearch-0.3.0.ebuild

David


Edit: If you're installing the new version, you have to delete the old database-files (/usr/lib/esearch/esearchdb.py and /usr/lib/esearch/esearchdb.pyc), thanks for testing :-)
_________________
faster 'emerge -s'? emerge esearch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
epretorious
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Jul 2003
Posts: 191
Location: Truckee, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing this list of "helpers" makes me wonder about...
    The pace and direction of portage development*, and
    The documentation or lack thereof for portage
Any thoughts on these vexing questions?

*IMHO - A really well-thougt-out package management system won't need helpers.
_________________
Eric P.
Sunnyvale, CA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epretorious wrote:
Are these utilities available as a package?


No, thats the whole point of this thread, to make a list of all the utilities that aren't in packages in portage. Hopefully as people try them out and they get popular they will get into portage, as a few already have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer


Joined: 16 Dec 2002
Posts: 1801
Location: Redondo Beach, Republic of Calif.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pythonhead wrote:
Another feature would be to show the time you last updated the database and the last time you did emerge sync every time it displays the search results.


Quote:

Well, there are several scripts in the forums doing this job (didn't you write one, once? )
I think it would just bloat the code for the index-generation.


If it showed the last time you updated the database and the last time you did 'emerge sync' you'd know how accurate your search results would be. Not a big deal if you simply eupdatedb right after portage, but I'm always adding ebuilds in PORTDIR_OVERLAY. So, no, its not critical for users not adding their own ebuilds.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru


Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Posts: 561
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all these changes make it into portage, it will rapidly be becoming an indeed advanced, intelligent and sophisticated package manager. Kudos to you all. I particularly found esearch amazing!

Regards,

Mystilleef
_________________
simple, sleek and sexy text editor for gnome

"My logic is undeniable."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev


Joined: 14 Mar 2003
Posts: 9013
Location: beyond the rim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main problem with portage at the moment is that there is only one dev really involved with its development, he currently has about 400 open bugs. This is subject to change, but it will take some time until the changes show results. I hope it explains the current issues with portage.

Last edited by Genone on Wed Aug 06, 2003 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum