Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
This year I'm going to get Gentoo running on a 486.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Project poll is a must :)
No way!
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Man, something's wrong with your head.
15%
 15%  [ 11 ]
Hell, why not?
77%
 77%  [ 55 ]
Total Votes : 71

Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. Crap.. After doing the build on the 2.0GHz Celeron and then putting the drives back into the 486, it won't boot.

It seems Grub is throwing a fit. Not sure why at the moment. I guess the partitions are off or something.. I don't know.. I'm going to use the 2.0GHz Celeron as a binhost and do it that way. I'll post more later.
broschi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*DO IT!!!* Don't forget to update your blog or give us some updates in the forums. Beside, as soon as I can put my dirty little fingers on a 386 (i'm sure there's an FPU on ebay waiting to be shipped) I just might try too! Installing Gentoo is so much fun. Pretty useless but hey... ;)

Ho and I think that real men will compile *EVERYTHING* on that puppy, no cheesy modern tweaking acceleration crap. It's not like you need that machine to do anything usefull...
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simba7 wrote:
Well.. Crap.. After doing the build on the 2.0GHz Celeron and then putting the drives back into the 486, it won't boot.

It seems Grub is throwing a fit. Not sure why at the moment. I guess the partitions are off or something.. I don't know..

Ugh.. I can't believe I forgot this old-as-hell bug.. Since my HDD's are 2GB, the BIOS is limited to <504MB. I entered the correct Cylinder/Head/SPT and it ended up giving me problems.. Now that I get the drives to the limit (made it autodetect the drives, which sees them as 1024Cyl/16Hds/63SPT), it's now booting properly.. Since my /boot is WAY below 504MB (try 4MB), this shouldn't give me any more problems.

broschi wrote:
*DO IT!!!* Don't forget to update your blog or give us some updates in the forums. Beside, as soon as I can put my dirty little fingers on a 386 (i'm sure there's an FPU on ebay waiting to be shipped) I just might try too! Installing Gentoo is so much fun. Pretty useless but hey... ;)

I have an AMD 386DX-40 and an IIT 387 Math Coprocessor.. Just need a decent board to stick it on..
If I had a board and 32 (or 64) MB of RAM, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'd compile it like I did with my 486 (used the Celery 2.0GHz).
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was math emulation was removed?
hmm... I used to use math emu on my 386 with Linux when I was using it over 10 years ago...
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Was math emulation was removed?
hmm... I used to use math emu on my 386 with Linux when I was using it over 10 years ago...

Nope.. Math Emulation is still an option, even in the 2.6.24 kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: