Is Gentoo for me?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
necromancer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:45 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo for me? Reply with quote

As I understand, Gentoo is pretty hard yo install, but when it start singing, it runs fast and clean.

Have I got that right?

After using Red Hat 7.3, which some people call an easy distro, for many days, its clear im in for a better system. Maybe I am the stupid one, but most of the rpm packages I download simply fail to do any good on my computer. In compare, what I have read about Gentoos package manager sounds much better. Right?

More questons:
- Can gentoo make me like the the command-line, or will the ammount of needed command knowledge breake a know-nothing-about-Linux-human like me??

Is it possible to use Gentoo without command codes?

- Will you people hate me if I post a lot of stupid questions in these forums?

Regards

Kalle
craftyc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo for me? Reply with quote

necromancer wrote:
As I understand, Gentoo is pretty hard yo install, but when it start singing, it runs fast and clean.

Have I got that right?

After using Red Hat 7.3, which some people call an easy distro, for many days, its clear im in for a better system. Maybe I am the stupid one, but most of the rpm packages I download simply fail to do any good on my computer. In compare, what I have read about Gentoos package manager sounds much better. Right?

More questons:
- Can gentoo make me like the the command-line, or will the ammount of needed command knowledge breake a know-nothing-about-Linux-human like me??

Is it possible to use Gentoo without command codes?

Regards

Kalle

1) Yes, by far. It only downloads what is needed, nothing more, making the system less bloated.

2) Liking the command line is up to you, not Gentoo. If you are willing to try (and often get things wrong) you will start to like it. (Well it worked for me :))

3) During install, all you can use is codes! After install, you have to use code because you don't have X. Once you've installed X you will still need to use codes, so I guess the answer is no.

4) Not personally, maybe others will, but I can't speak for them.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--Tip: Hold Tab button down for a list of available commands ;)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo for me? Reply with quote

necromancer wrote:

No. If it's not in the docs and search doesn't find it, it's fair game. Go right ahead, that's what the forums are for.

If, on the other hand, you're a jerk about it, then yes you will start to make enemies. Someone trying to learn -- if they have checked the docs and searched the forums -- will be welcomed.
fsck_ms
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may want to enlist the help of a geek friend that knows more, if you have one. If not, well, the forums are always here. And don't forget tldp , etc when you need help. A distro like slackware or debian might also be something to try. Slack made me love the command line. It all depends on how much effort you put into learning linux.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total agreement with fsck_ms. You will want to have a geek contact who you can ask questions to, as they can probably give you some sort of guidance as to who to ask next if they don't know the answer. Also, these forums are quite a resource. You might want to also look into IRC or a local LUG.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: