Printing under Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silvrhand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Printing under Gentoo Reply with quote

Cups? LPRNG?

I'm so lost I don't even know where to begin, so if anyone has printing up and running on Gentoo could anyone give me a breakdown on how they did it and running what version of whatever printing stuff.

I don't have a lot of time to research all of them, and need printing pretty badly..

Thanks,

- John
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml
Gentoo Documentatation wrote:
5.Printing

Simple printing -- PDQ

For simple systems where you don't need samba support the PDQ printing system is nice and simple.

Code listing 32

# emerge net-print/pdq
# xpdq

Just click on Printer/Add printer and add your printer. If your type of printer isn't listed, see http://www.linuxprinting.org, and you can generate the required files from their web site. You will want to click on "Driver options" to further finish configuring the printer in xpdq. Any printers set up by running xpdq as root will be available to all users. That's all it takes!

Full-fledged printing -- CUPS

CUPS is a much larger print spooler that is fully suitable for use as a large-scale print server. Fortunately it is pretty easy to set up, since most of the configuration can be done using CUPS' built-in web server. Although CUPS is nominally a System V print spooler (meaning that it uses the lp series of commands) it emulates all of the lpr commands as well.

Code listing 33

# emerge --pretend net-print/gimp-print-cups
These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating dependencies.. done!
[ebuild N ] net-print/cups-1.1.10-r6 to /
[binary N ] net-print/gimp-print-cups-4.1.1 to /
# emerge gimp-print-cups
# rc-update add cupsd default
* cupsd added to runlevel default...
* Caching service dependencies... [ ok ]
* rc-update complete.
# /etc/init.d/cupsd start
Starting Common Unix Printing System...... [ ok ]
# konqueror localhost:631

The gimp-print-cups package is a set of printer drivers for cups, which is useful because the cups package itself includes drivers only for HP and Epson printers. Building gimp-print-cups builds cups as a dependency. Once cups is built we add its init scripts to the default runlevel using rc-update, and then we turn on the cups daemon by starting the init script.

Configuring cups simply requires using a web browser to connect to the web server that cups runs on the localhost network on port 631. [Note that because the cups web server is configured to accept requests only on localhost and not on any of the ethx interfaces, it is reasonably secure. Of course, that also means that it is difficult to administer cups remotely in any sort of nice fashion (the command-line lpadmin command would be an option, but it is also a considerable nightmare). Fortunately, the cups web server renders quite well in lynx, so it can be administered from a terminal window.] Once you connect to the web interface, click (or its equivalent if using lynx) on "Do Administrative Tasks". You will be asked for the cups account name and password; you can either use "root" (and the root password), or provide a username and password for a user in the "lp" group. Again, since the web server exists only on localhost, you don't have to worry about that information being transmitted on the internet. To add a printer click on "Add Printer", and follow the directions. Help may be obtained by clicking on "Help", and then reading the Software Administrator's Manual. If you find that you lack the appropriate printer driver then you can create one by heading to the rather impressive http://www.linuxprinting.org site.
silvrhand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
timbo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can't get printing to work. Followed the very good notes on the Desktop page but it just won't print. Cups is all set up for the correct printer the only thing I can see wrong is the /dev/lp0 is root.root and I can't change it even root can't pring. HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPP.....

Regards
Timbo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: