Apache2 now default???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Apache2 now default??? Reply with quote

It appears as though Apache2 was unmasked today(July 12th) for x86. That's all well and good, but what are the implications of making that upgrade? Are my old config files compatible? What about the various modules? Do they need to be recompiled for Apache2? It just seems like there should be some kind of a warning for this change. Why can't the apache2 USE variable select whether you want the 2.x series versus the 1.3.x series? Of course, maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion. I really have no idea how different Apache2 is from the 1.3.x series.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They announced the unmasking on Friday... Of course, the announcement was overshadowed by the GLSAs...
t011
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I now see the notice in the "News & Announcements" forum. The odd thing about the notice is that I'm subscribed to the gentoo-announce mailing list and I didn't receive the email. But then, all the GLSA's are listed as going to the gentoo-security mailing list, which I'm not subscribed to, but I received all those. What is going on with that news and announcements forum?!
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some forum announcements that are not from [gentoo-announce]. The GLSAs belong to [gentoo-announce] not [gentoo-security].
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just made the crossover from apache to apache2, it was remarkably painless actually. I just emerged apache2, removed apache from my default runlevel and stopped the server, changed my servername and a couple of other tweaks (Which were basically the same as in my apache.conf). I had to re-emerge mod_php (and add -D PHP4 to the /etc/conf.d/apache2 file) after adding apache2 to my USE flags, then I just added it to my default runlevel and launched apach2. Works fine so far.

One question...

I notice in the old /etc/conf.d/apache I have
Code:

APACHE_OPTS="-D SSL -D PHP4 -D MAILMAN"
Of this the first 2 bits I know what they are and have added them to my new /etc/conf.d/apache2 file. However, the "-D MAILMAN" bit, I can't remembed adding. I am using mailman as part of my virtual mailhosting setup but I can't find it in the guide as adding it. Anyone know why I'd have that in there and what I'd need it for?

EDIT: Looking at the mailman ebuild it definitley does something with apache but it doesn't have an apache2 flag or anything to tell it which version I've got. Am I assuming whatever this add on module was is now not availale in apache2?
Cheers.

EDIT2: Ok. After some more investigating I've found that mailman has a configuration step and part of that is to add the -D MAILMAN and uses and an ebuild to add an include in apache.conf. Obviously this is useless so I worked out what the ebuild did to apache and did it manually to apache2.conf which turned out to be just adding
Code:
Include  conf/addon-modules/mailman.conf

...hmm, this won't work as the module was installed for apache and not apache2 so that path leads nowhere. I'm not using mailman at present so hopefully by the time I come to use it there will be an appropriate apache2 ebuild. I'm removing the -D MAILMAN and the include line for now.

Puggy
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Here's a little help Reply with quote

You were getting close. What I did was copy the content from /etc/apache/conf/addon-modules/mailman.conf right into my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf and that seemed fix it.... a little.

Now, I can access the mailman CGIs by using /mailman/admin/listname, however, Mailman is telling me that I have no lists. If I 'su - mailman' and then do a './bin/list_lists' it shows me that I still have my lists, phew. I'm not sure what I'm missing, though.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - the '-D foo' just sets a flag that triggers the loading of a module in the files in /etc/apache2/conf/modules.d - the code in the <IfDefine foo> containers only gets executed if u start apache2 with -D foo
puggy
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it up and running under apache2 also, but I had to completely unemerge mailman, remove all its configuration files from /usr/local/mailman, then re-emerge it and set it up from scratch. I don't know if this was specifically an upgrade from apache and to apache2 problem however.

Puggy
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Ah-ha! Reply with quote

I got it working. The old ebuilds put all the files in /var/mailman. This was the mailman user's home directory. In the new ebuild, this directory has been changed to /usr/local/mailman. The ebuild tries to copy some of your config files over, but they don't get your lists (that is /var/mailman/lists doesn't get copied to /usr/local/mailman/lists). So, I just copied over everything from /var/mailman to /usr/local/mailman. Then I needed to edit /etc/mail/aliases and change everything there to /usr/local/mailman and I was goodtimes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: