mutt questions..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:40 pm    Post subject: mutt questions.. Reply with quote

I'm intersted in using mutt as my email client, but I have a few questions. It looks like there are a lot of configurations that people are using in their .muttrc files. Does anyone have any specific recommendations? There are also a lot of tutorials out there and I was wondering if anyone can recommend a fairly simple one that includes coverage of setting up PGP.
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay a visit to www.mutt.org and download a sample .muttrc file. I'd recommend getting one recommended for new users, then moving onto more indepth ones (Thomas Roesslers for example) after a month or two.

Just beware of the fact that all MUA's (Mutt included), Procmail and MTA's that come with Gentoo are configured for Maildir by default (unlike the original builds). When creating a muttrc of your own, take a look at the global muttrc in /etc/mutt/Muttrc, and make sure you don't override any of the settings set in that file - with your local muttrc. Otherwise you might find that Mutt wont see your maildir and it could be confusing putting it right.

It's a fascinating little MUA. You'll be training it for ever because you'll constantly think of new tricks to teach it. :-)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: mutt thanks.. Reply with quote

Thanks for your tips leej! I'll be sure to check out the link you sent. Do you do anything that you find particularly cool with mutt? Why do you use it? I've heard it's really good for searching for things and for PGP stuff. I'm interested in both of those items and any experiences anyone would like to share about them. :wink:
leej
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Thanks for your tips leej!

No problem! ;-)

Quote:
Do you do anything that you find particularly cool with mutt? Why do you use it? I've heard it's really good for searching for things and for PGP stuff.

Well yes, that's true. You can search using regular expressions and its internal pattern matching language. Also if you're subscribed to mailing lists, it handles them brilliantly. Replying to list addresses only and not the users too (as some other MUA's and GUI mailers do). You can also configure hooks for dozens of purposes (changing the whole configuration depending upon recipients, folders you've entered, etc). Very useful if you have multiple email addresses and would like to use one for lists, one for your private correspondence, even for using specific addresses for corresponding with specific users. Hooks even allow you to do other things like assigning different PGP sigs to the different email addresses, switching them on and off automatically for different users/lists/etc.

It has message threading (again very good for lists), you have full control of message headers when composing, you can easily include attachments (even from the command line), keybindings are brilliant, etc.

I use SpamAssassin with Vipuls Razor (when are we going to get an ebuild for razor? ;o) and if any Spam gets through the filter, I use a keybinding in Mutt to report it to Vipuls Razor, ensuring other Vipul users (and none of my other email addresses) don't get that spam message.

Anyway, I've ranted uncontrollably enough about it. I'm a Mutt fan. Can you tell? ;o)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a really good document on installing and setting up mutt in the documentation forum. :)
marcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for this newbie-question, but I really don't get the big picture! I find the "mutt and the single user" very informative, but I still don't get the basics. :(
I'm a single user exactly as described in the documentation mentioned above. I'm used to netscape-like mail configuration, and I easily set up clients such as sylpheed. However, I would prefer a console mail client.
What I don't get is the exact process of receiving, filtering, reading and sending. Or do I...?

As I have understood, I first of all need a program to get my mail from my mail server and place it in a mail directory (e.g in my home directory); fetchmail, getmail, ... (feel free to add alternatives)

Then, if I want filtering I need a program for that; procmail, ...

Then I need a client for reading what's received; mutt, pine, ...

For sending I, in addition to the client (and an editor), need a program for my mail to reach the outgoing mail server; sendmail, ssmtp, ...

Is this correct? I suppose some of the programs overlap each other, and some have far more features. For a newbie it seems an awful lot to configure. Isn't there just one program for all this? Which programs are required, and which are just recomended?
Or maybe more appropriate: Isn't there a more thorough documentation concerning all this?

Hope you'll help me to clear this out.
marcus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I should add that I tried this combination for receiving mails:

getmail, as it claimed to be easier to configure than fetchmail
pine, as it is said to be for newbies :)

Getmail was in fact easy to configure, however, it didn't recognize my ~/mail which was generated by pine :(
I have a feeling that I am missing something here...

The "mutt and the single user" said that pine had its own sendmail, so I tried sending a mail to myself without having configured anything really. Of course, it didn't work...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:39 pm    Post subject: mail admin howto.. Reply with quote

It sounds like you are looking for a pretty comprehensive understanding of email. I would recommend reading the mail administrator's howto. I personally use mutt's IMAP features and don't do a whole lot of filtering because I'm lazy. ;) The document has a lot of references and it's a pretty decent introduction. There's a lot of good documentation on mutt if you search google as well. If you have specific questions, I would recommend asking them in a new thread so more people will see them and be able to respond. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: