[NEWS] MIPS becoming an experimental architecture
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: [NEWS] MIPS becoming an experimental architecture Reply with quote

This forums thread is for discussion of the www.gentoo.org posting, "MIPS becoming an experimental architecture." Post your comments and suggestions here.

Quote:
Stable MIPS keywords have been lagging behind other architectures, in part because the Gentoo MIPS team is understaffed.

To better serve its users, the MIPS team decided to make MIPS an experimental architecture. This means stable mips keywords will gradually disappear, so all MIPS users will eventually need to add ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~mips" in /etc/make.conf. Stable mips keywords will remain in ebuilds they're already in, but they will not be added to any new ebuild revisions. MIPS profiles will only accept ~mips keywords starting with 2008.0.

Please file bugs for any problems you encounter during this period of transition. To help the MIPS team, contact team lead Joshua Kinard.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't affect me because I don't use MIPS, but in case this means we get the GLSAs faster I'm happy with the decision :)
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micmac wrote:
Doesn't affect me because I don't use MIPS, but in case this means we get the GLSAs faster I'm happy with the decision :)

It doesn't. MIPS was never supported security-wise as well as some other architectures. The list of supported architectures can be found here.
micmac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me sad. I'd consider requesting to join the Gentoo MIPS team if I knew what sort of positions they needed.....
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armanox wrote:
This makes me sad. I'd consider requesting to join the Gentoo MIPS team if I knew what sort of positions they needed.....

The link to Joshua's email is on the actual news announcement. Drop him a note and ask! It will primarily be people to test programs on that hardware (which can be had fairly cheaply on ebay), and possibly come up with some patches.
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armanox wrote:

In short: everything and anything... we're looking for people with a SGI box or two (Cobalt box or Lemote hardware is also a bonus) running Gentoo to test various packages and help with general maintenance.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've emailed Joshua regarding wanting to help. I have an SGI Octane and an SGI O2 at my disposal.
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, before people jump the gun on this, we're waiting on some change in Portage to support this, namely the "exp" keyword being valid in profiles.desc. As far as I know, this hasn't been implemented yet (it's to keep Repoman from yelling I think).

--Kumba
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
FYI, before people jump the gun on this, we're waiting on some change in Portage to support this, namely the "exp" keyword being valid in profiles.desc. As far as I know, this hasn't been implemented yet (it's to keep Repoman from yelling I think).

Is there a bug open for this?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genone wrote:

Was (is I guess), and zmedico's already put a patch into SVN to handle this. But I think we need to wait for that particular portage rev to become stable before 'exp'ing everything so that we don't break existing stable repomen out there.

--Kumba

PS: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=211294 , btw
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kumba wrote:
Genone wrote:

But I think we need to wait for that particular portage rev to become stable before 'exp'ing everything so that we don't break existing stable repomen out there.

Do we really? I would say our developers should always be using the latest repoman out there (2.1 branch, anyway).

Regardless, if it's released in 2.1, it is stable.

portage-2.1.4.4.ebuild:KEYWORDS="alpha amd64 arm hppa ia64 m68k ~mips ppc ppc64 s390 sh sparc ~sparc-fbsd x86 ~x86-fbsd"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: