Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Question about the package dependencies, etc.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreePeter
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Question about the package dependencies, etc. Reply with quote

First about revdep-rebuild, in gentoo document, it says

This tool is Gentoo's Reverse Dependency rebuilder. It will scan your installed ebuilds to find packages that have become broken as a result of an upgrade of a package they depend on. It can emerge those packages for you but it can also happen that a given package does not work anymore with the currently installed dependencies, in which case you should upgrade the broken package to a more recent version. revdep-rebuild will pass flags to emerge which lets you use the --pretend flag to see what is going to be emerged again before you go any further.

And I wondered when using other Linux distributions like Ubuntu, I didn't know such tools,
So how is other distributions to solve such problems?

And another problem is about libexpat
Recently I update the portage(the package, not the portage tree~), I use -NuD, so it update many libraries.
After all it told me that libexpat.so.0 is no longer existing and I need to fix it by using redvep-rebuild.
And I found it a very old topic : https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-575655.html

As I understands, it's because when we update the libexpat(to libexpat.so.1), the old version(i.e. libexpat.so.0) is removed, so some softwares rely on the old version won't rebuild automatically (and need we run revdep-rebuild manually)
So I wondered, why can't we hold some different versions of the same lib co-exist for some time?
If I haven't mistaken, Ubuntu will reserve some different versions of the same lib (like xxx.so.1, xxx.so.2...?)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreePeter,

Binary distros get around the problem by hiding it from users, the binary distro builders (thats you for Gentoo) solve the problem when they make the next version of the distro.

libexpat was a particular problem. Gentoo provides a feature called SLOTs.
This allows several versions of a package to be installed at the same time but you can only use one version at a time.
Look at gcc for example
Code:
 $ gcc-config -l
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6
 [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6-hardened
 [3] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6-hardenednopie
 [4] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6-hardenednopiessp
 [5] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.3.6-hardenednossp
 [6] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6
 [7] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardened
 [8] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopie
 [9] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednopiessp
 [10] i686-pc-linux-gnu-3.4.6-hardenednossp
 [11] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.1.2
 [12] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.2.2 *
I have four different versions of gcc installed but must use gcc-config to select the one to be used.

The new libexpat was required by both the KDE and GNOME updates that were introduced at the same time. If you search the gmane archive of the dev-gentoo mailing list, so will see that there was a lot of discussion on the bast way to handle this issue.

revdep-rebuild struggles with libexpat. See this page for some one line script options that address libexpat and some of the related problems.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: