rt61 driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewlabonte
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: rt61 driver Reply with quote

I'm new to gentoo. I've been trying to install the rt61 driver for may ralink wireless card. I tried the ralink-rt61 package and was able to modprobe rt61 but I could not get a wlan0 in ifconfig. I also tried manually install the rt61 from serialmonkey, with the same result. I have an edimax pci card wireless card which has worked with the serialmonkey driver in all the other distros that I've tried. Can anyone help me with this? Are there some special kernel configuration options that I might have missed?
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi , the main thing is to be aware that ralink-rt61 and rt61 drivers are totally different.

I use the ralink-rt61-1.1.1.0 native driver in portage which installs a module when it is installed.

I dont recall having anything special in the kernel however I do have 80211 Networking Stack (not the mac80211 one), and 80211 wep,ccmp and tkip. << this was mainly done when trying rt61 rt2x00 of which I hear this driver works well now too.

If you read the docs ralink-rt61 relies on /etc/Wireless/RT61STA/rt61sta.dat to be setup correctly to work well.

After adjusting that file I had much more success.

Code:
lsmod |grep rt61
rt61                  225156  1

Make sure you dont mix kernel modules as well, as in leaving rt61 rt2x00 modules in there as well as ralink-rt61 or vice-versa.

Also see if you get something like this after boot :

Code:
dmesg |grep RT61
RT61: Vendor = 0x1814, Product = 0x0301
RT61: RfIcType= 3
RT61: RfIcType= 3

Be aware that ralink-rt61 is called ra0 in my config and I think rt61 call theres wlan0 these days.

The new ralink-rt61-1.1.2.0 driver on ralinks website works with manual install but has some issues on my machine regarding soft irqs.

someone , may make an ebuild for the new driver soon but it appears unstable to me , better to stick to ralink-rt61-1.1.1.0

see how you go :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: