xen domU pci express graphics support?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwmcsween
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: xen domU pci express graphics support? Reply with quote

Does xen support domU direct hardware access to a pci express graphics card? Reason being I want to use windows server 2003 along with linux on the same box.
Pearlseattle
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you could still use Windows 2003 server without having to assign it its private GPU, butthis is anyway exactly what I would like to know as well.
I know that for sure this wasn't supported by XEN versions < 3.2, but now with 3.2 they announced...
Quote:

Preliminary PCI pass-through support (using appropriate Intel or AMD
I/O-virtualisation hardware)

...which to me sounds like a "yes".

Today I found this..
Quote:

PCI passthrough funktioniert schon seit einigen Versionen mit paravirtualisierten Gästen, also angepassten Linux-Kerneln. In 3.2 sollte dieses Feature die nötige Reife für den Produktionseinsatz erreicht haben. Dieser PCI passthrough funktioniert auch auf "alten" Prozessoren, hier einen alten Athlon 2000:
Neu in 3.2 ist die Verwendung von PCI passthrough mit Gästen im "full virtualization mode", also Windows-Gästen, die in der dünnen Qemu-Schicht auf Xen laufen. Das klappt nun, aber eben nur mit Prozessoren mit VT-Erweiterungen etc., in dieser Hinsicht ist der Artikel korrekt.

...which on english would mean...
Quote:

PCI passthrough works already with some versions of paravirtualized guests, meaning adapted Linux-Kernels. In 3.2 this feature should have reached the maturity level for its use in a production environment. This PCI passthrough works as well with "old" processors, e.g. an old Athlon 2000.
New in 3.2 is the usage of PCI passthrough with fully virtualized guets, e.g. Windows-guests, that run using the thin layer of Qemu. This works, but only with processors having the VT-extentions etc., from this point of view the article is correct.

So, to me it would mean that it would work, but I didn't have time yet to try it out.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: