problem with LiveCD - kernel panic
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wg205
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: problem with LiveCD - kernel panic Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on Abit IL8 with pentium D. I used amd64 version but it failed to boot with message "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init". So I thought that this is wrong architecture and tried with i686 CD but I get the same error.
Than I used several other distributions and one which succeeded to run is kubuntu-6.06-i386, the amd64 version of this also failed to boot.
I would prefer to use gentoo but is there a way to make it working? I tried as well to install gentoo from kubuntu, using recent kernel but it didn't work - kernel panic
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can install ubuntu, and install gentoo through ubuntu, using chroot. At first I was going to say maybe your writing bad cd's. Have you checked tghe integrity of the disk. Because I've had kernel panics because of bad disks.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use also the latest SystemRescueCD.
rgviza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: problem with LiveCD - kernel panic Reply with quote

wg205 wrote:
I'm trying to install Gentoo on Abit IL8 with pentium D. I used amd64 version but it failed to boot with message "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init". So I thought that this is wrong architecture and tried with i686 CD but I get the same error.
Than I used several other distributions and one which succeeded to run is kubuntu-6.06-i386, the amd64 version of this also failed to boot.
I would prefer to use gentoo but is there a way to make it working? I tried as well to install gentoo from kubuntu, using recent kernel but it didn't work - kernel panic

try x86_64 version. Try the following options if you kp with this kernel:
gentoo noapic apci=off irqpoll

If you still get the kernel panic move your memory from bank 0 to bank 1 and try without the options, then with the options if you are still kp. Remove and add options til you get the smallest option set that works.

I just got the same issue with an AMD64/nVidia chipset. Apparently either the nVidia chipset is bugged, or the kernel is. All 64 bit distros have the same issue with my chipset. Judging from this it sounds like it may be a kernel issue since you have a 945P chipset.

Once bootstrapped, try genkernel but it's likely you'll have the same issue. Use menuconfig and remove the APIC and ACPI stuff from the kernel and set irqpoll as one of your options grub passes to the kernel. Don't forget to statically compile your SATA driver into the kernel to avoid the chicken before the egg syndrome. If you are using an nVidia video card make sure you remove _ALL_ nvidia options from kernel, including the terminal character drivers or the driver will report a conflict when you try to install it.

I have no idea if this will work for you, but it's what I needed to do at the end of the day to get it working. I need to do further testing but the performance impact seems to be minimal. My system is now rock solid and incredibly fast. I haven't kp'd in 2 days, where before it was random and always happened within half an hour.

-Viz
wg205
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you checked tghe integrity of the disk

I haven't. Must get the tool for this, but I found this problem for many CDs and install from USB also fails. And even when I put my system on hard drive through ubuntu it doesn't work so it must be problem with kernel or/and hardware.

Quote:
You can use also the latest SystemRescueCD

Is it not going to be similar to installing gentoo through ubuntu?
[/post]
Quote:
try x86_64 version. Try the following options if you kp with this kernel:
gentoo noapic apci=off irqpoll

If you still get the kernel panic move your memory from bank 0 to bank 1 and try without the options, then with the options if you are still kp. Remove and add options til you get the smallest option set that works.

There is no irqpoll option in the menu and only similar one to apci=off is acpi=off, is it what you meant? I tried it and I don't get kp when noapic is present. When I use only acpi=off, kp hepens sometimes. Although I don't have kp, the boot process stops in various stage. The more often message which I get when booting freeze is: "Linux agpgart interface v 0.101(c) Dave Jones", other messages are like:
"scanning for ieee1394" or "scanning for tg3" and then freeze or sometimes it has a problem with copying the files to tmpfs or sometimes it "could not find CD".
All this messages are confusing because for the same booting options the process stops with different messages.

Here is the output of lspci. If I'll have another go with preparing system on hard drive through ubuntu, which kernel options shall I have to make it working? Thanks for help

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 945G/P Memory Controller Hub (rev 81)
0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 945G/P PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 81)
0000:00:1b.0 0403: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 01)
0000:00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
0000:00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controllers cc=IDE (rev 01)
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 01)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 01df (rev a1)
0000:03:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8169 Gigabit Ethernet (rev 10)
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wg205,

When the kernel is telling you about things being detected, the messages are not output synchosnously with whats happening.
It has one thread doing the work and another printing the messages to the screen, so the exact message is not much help.

apic=off and pci=irqpoll are often useful in getting booted on systems with BIOSs that are broken in ways not yet addressed by the kernel on the CD.

If all else fails the nodetect option is worth trying. nodetect boots without attempting to detect or start any of your hardware. You need to modprobe the drivers and start services by hand.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
wg205
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't managed to boot system from LiveCD, even nodetect option didn't help. After many tries I used SystemRescueCD beta, and the alternative kernel works. So I used configuration for that kernel as a starting point to build kernel for my system and as far as I know it's working.
wg205
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the solution. The kernel with SMP is booting ok after I reduced CPU clock a bit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: