Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Does Gentoo pays its Developers or workers ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
layman82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Does Gentoo pays its Developers or workers ? Reply with quote

I am just curious to know whether gentoo pays Wages ( like a company ) regularly for its developers, software-gallery maintainers, and other workers ?

I know gentoo is opensource but i want a little dig at its 'financial structure' ?
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a Gentoo representative, but I do know that Gentoo, Inc. is currently not a non-profit organization. Daniel Robbins just announced a new management structure for Gentoo, which (among other things) will help Gentoo transition to a not-for-profit organization:
Gentoo Weekly News wrote:
By implementing these changes, the internal development methodology within the Gentoo project should become much more efficient and responsive. They will also serve to help reorganize the project in such a way to allow Gentoo to continue its planned migration to a not-for-profit organization. While most of these changes are directed inwards, users will notice benefits as well through improved speed of delivery, increased quality control and other tangible benefits.

Of course, being a non-profit doesn't mean that you can't take in money or pay anyone. :)
layman82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such a Answer, my curiosity for my Question has really risen ?
aja
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious - why does it matter to you?
layman82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curious in the sense , I am amazed how gentoo manages and finances such a big developer base. That's all, I am nothing to do with gentoo, and i am not asking any Confidential matters, i hope so.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone gets paid for it, though I don't know for sure. Isn't that why the Zynot guy split off, because he wanted some compensation for his work and didn't receive any?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why pay volunteers? It would be insulting. They want to give a piece of work, not trade.
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if Gentoo continues to be developed at this frightening rate, some people probably need to spend days behind the console. Moreover, I also believe that we live in a world where people get rewarded for their efforts, so if some core developers just need to get paid to keep Gentoo evolving, then so be it.
oniq
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But why must money be the reward for their efforts? If I were a Gentoo developer I'd be quite happy with the rewards of the community. I'm sure a lot of us think very highly of the Gentoo developers and their hard work.
dvink
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oniq:

If core Gentoo developers spend days behind their consoles, they still have bills to pay. Hence each and everyone of us must make a living. Don't get me wrong, the community is certainly worth gold, but does not provide food for mouths.
nadamsieee
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the main arguments for open source/free software is the idea that people should pay developers for work performed instead of for the product itself (or license really). In that scenario a development company/developer would receive wages for developing, enhansing, supporting, and/or modifying the software but the paying party would retain all of the rights to the software granted by the GPL. For non-GPL'ish licenses you pay the developer for a restrictive license to the product itself, and development costs are built into that price.

Yet many people get offended at the idea of paying somebody to develop free software. I think it would be silly to assume that all developers want to be rewarded with praise from the user base, etc. If a developer wants (and deserves) to be paid for her work, that's just great; pay her! If not, that's fine too. Many kernel hackers are employed by Redhat, SuSe, Mandrake, and the like. Linus himself now gets paid to work full time on the kernel. Just because Gentoo, Inc. is transitioning to a not-for-profit status doesn't mean that it can't earn cash to pay developers. Whether that would be warrented/needed/appropriate is of course debatable. To each his own. :)
Anacific
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think of it more as "donating/thanking" rather than "paying". As dvink said, if you spend a lot of time coding free software you'll still need to manage to pay your bills.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we are not paid. Yes, Gentoo Technologies is currently registered as a for-profit. This is changing very soon. Meanwhile, we are not profitable.

Frankly, I would not _complain_ if I were offered the opportunity to be paid to work full-time on Gentoo, but it's not something I'm actively seeking...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: