How will my laptop handle?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: How will my laptop handle? Reply with quote

I have a semi old laptop. It has a AMD Sempron 2800+ processor that runs at 1600 megahertz, or 1.6 gigahertz and it has 512 MB of ram. For VGA it has a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M. How would it handle the latest release of GNOME and Compiz-Fusion with all the cool plug in effects?
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem so. I'm sure your proc was fine... the low mem shouldn't be much of an issue when you're not running much, and I did a quick google search for your video card + compiz and found this video on utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1avBrDZjlo
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! I was going to finance a new laptop for my upcoming linux set up but I'd rather just use mine and save the money. Instead I'm going to upgrade the ram to 1 GB. When I upgrade my ram to 1 GB does that mean I have to make the swap partition 2 GB?
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
When I upgrade my ram to 1 GB does that mean I have to make the swap partition 2 GB?

No
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I don't know what I should do. It will take about $160.00 to fix up my old laptop. That's for a new Battery, ram, wifi card, and ac cord(my old one has a cut with a loose wire I have to make sure it doesn't spark). There's a new Gateway laptop that I would love to have for $800.00. At my work I never know when they are going to lay me off because of automation and outsourcing, so it's not really wise of me to buy anything expensive. I am just getting into Linux and I like it so much I'm fanatical. Do you think it would be silly to buy a new laptop just for Linux?
grayskunk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
Man, I don't know what I should do. It will take about $160.00 to fix up my old laptop. That's for a new Battery, ram, wifi card, and ac cord(my old one has a cut with a loose wire I have to make sure it doesn't spark). There's a new Gateway laptop that I would love to have for $800.00. At my work I never know when they are going to lay me off because of automation and outsourcing, so it's not really wise of me to buy anything expensive. I am just getting into Linux and I like it so much I'm fanatical. Do you think it would be silly to buy a new laptop just for Linux?

Nope :!:
jettjunker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, it wouldn't be /just/ for linux. By buying a new one, rather than just fixing up your old one, means you get a new computer. That is, warranty, better hardware, and newer hardware (less likely to have other things go wrong)

That said... <shrug> obviously it's up to you whether or not it's worth it.
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I got another Laptop would I do better with getting one with an ATI VGA card or an INTEL VGA card?
Etal
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
Man, I don't know what I should do. It will take about $160.00 to fix up my old laptop. . .

Unless all the super-fancy effects are really important to you, then, yeah, you might want to upgrade your computer. However, if you want to have a normal working system, your specs are perfectly fine. I always like to tell people how well Gentoo runs on a 500Mhz/128 MB RAM/ATi RAGE128 iMac I found. Obviously it didn't have any special effects, but it ran KDE just fine, and was perfectly usable.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
If I got another Laptop would I do better with getting one with an ATI VGA card or an INTEL VGA card?

If you plan to play games on it the ATI one might be better, for almost everything else I'd take the Intel onboard graphics (just for the longer battery life).
dman777
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, one of the reasons is definitelly for the cool graphical special effects from Compwiz Fusion. Would it matter ATI or Intel VGA for that?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you'd have a problem running CompizFusion on the Intel. I would recommend the Intel over the ATi, but keep in mind that I have a personal vendetta against ATi after a laptop that I had. :p
thtroyer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Intel cards aren't dedicated "graphics cards" -- they tap into your processor and RAM, where graphics cards by Nvidia and ATI have their own processors and memory.

I've only had experience with Nvidia cards -- one in my desktop, one in my laptop. I've been mostly happy with them... I've heard horror stories about ATI drivers, but they have apparently been improving.

If I had to pick between Intel and ATI, I'd risk it and definitely go for the ATI simply because I despise integrated graphics (I do moderate gaming, which integrated graphics cannot handle).
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dman777 wrote:
Man, I don't know what I should do. It will take about $160.00 to fix up my old laptop. That's for a new Battery, ram, wifi card, and ac cord(my old one has a cut with a loose wire I have to make sure it doesn't spark).

What's wrong with the battery? Also, why not cut the bad section of wire out, solder it together, then properly wrap the wires in electrical tape and put heat shrink tubing around that?
Also, WiFi cards are rather cheap. A gig of (probably) DDR266 isn't that much, either.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thtroyer wrote:
(I do moderate gaming, which integrated graphics cannot handle).

You'd be surprised how much they can handle. Of course you can't run the latest state-of-the-art games with full details and high resolution, but most games run just fine on systems with current integrated graphics (from Intel at least).

Last edited by Genone on Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
sundialsvc4
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, I guess I ought to be embarrassed about my "poor old laptop" with the 73+ day uptime. And a grand spankin' total of 256MB (down from the 512MB originally installed, half of which no longer works). A highly customized Gentoo installation runs just fine on "ol' Dobbin," and I still do most of my work on it.

Gentoo in particular can do that, and do it very well. I determined many years ago exactly what this system needed, and exactly what I wanted to run on it, and I configured it that way and keep it that way. Without the many layers of "cruft" that plug-up Windows (and, unfortunately, many binary Linux distros ... the problem seems to always be getting worse) it zips right along.
kicker69101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently had a 200 pentium pro running as my server (this was a temporary issue). It ran like a champ even after I moved off of it. May it RIP now. :(

and yes the world is going to end!
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker69101 wrote:
I recently had a 200 pentium pro running as my server (this was a temporary issue). It ran like a champ even after I moved off of it. May it RIP now. :(

I've got a Dual PPro 200 and a Quad PPro 200 running Gentoo.. Still purring right along..

It's amazing with the right OS, these systems still hold their own.

Even my 2 P200MMX's w/128MB RAM ran rather decent running MySQL, Apache2, PHP, OpenVPN, Squid, Dansguardian, Samba, and a few others. One is now at my parents and one is at my in-laws. They're linked to my main router (P2-450MHz) via an OpenVPN connection.

Who says old systems are "worthless"? I'm now compiling Gentoo on an old P166MMX laptop to be used as a Caching Proxy/Router/OpenVPN for my Bro-in-Law in Iraq.
machinelou
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, I have to warn you, I have a laptop with the 200m card and it was a NIGHTMARE to get video acceleration working with suspend/hibernate. In fact, it was one of the reasons why I ultimately decided to give up and put windows back on it (the other was a lack of an easy way to get VGA-out to work [I needed it for frequent presentations]). IMHO, if you use your laptop often and carry it frequently, you'll want to have it suspend or at least hibernate instead of having to boot every time you pull it out. On the other hand, this was about a year ago so, perhaps the drivers have been improved.

If I get another laptop, I'm going to do my best to make sure its components have decent linux support -- although, in practice, doing this is very difficult unless you go with a well known build (e.g., leveno or a laptop that comes with linux pre-installed). As far as I know, even the macbooks aren't 100% compatible (maybe they're 95% - a lot of people still complain about sound if I remember correctly).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: