Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Can't connect to the net with dial-up..Please help..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterTwo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Can't connect to the net with dial-up..Please help.. Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been using gentoo for my desktop for quite a few months now while I was at college (big fat net connection :)) but now I'm back home and stuck to 28.8 dial-up :( But I am having problems even getting connected.

I can connect with kppp, it dials, connects, etc... but cant bring up the ppp interface even when I run it as root. When I tried wvdial its the same thing it connects and then prints some nonsense characters and times out. I have added my login and password to the wvdial.conf and the pap-secrets and chap-secrets. My ISP (copper.net) uses chap-md5 autherization. After a while I gave up and called the tech support, who although they do not support linux (duh) he did say that from what he has heard I should set it to chap and everything should work... so at least I know it is possible to connect to them with linux. What should I do? Any ideas?

Edit - Just to save time... I have emerged pppd and compiled ppp support to my kernel...

-Jason
LibraMark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Before you connect, you might want to try "route del default" to remove your ethernet gateway. That's probably it.

In compiling ppp did you include the "async...", "compress...", and "deflate..." options?

Goodluck!

Mark.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: