View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.0 Questions Reply with quote

Just installed gnome 2.0, and it seems to work fine. I have a few questions though:

1. Whenever I choose 'Actions -> Search for files' and attempt to search, I receive the following error.

"/usr/bin/locate: /var/spool/locate/
locatedb: No such file or directory"

How can I fix this?

2. When I click on the 'home' icon, I assume that this starts up nautilus. However, when I visit web pages withing nautilus, it displays the actual HTML code instead of the web page (with graphics, etc). How can I fix this? Mozilla works fine, but I figure I might want to try nautilus.

Does nautilus load itself into memory at startup (I saw loading text, wasn't sure)? Is there any easy way to load mozilla into memory like IE does for windows?

3. I attempted to create a shortcut/application launcher on the bottom panel. I successfully made one that will launch mozilla, but I wan't to select a Mozilla icon to display. Where would the icon be located (or is there one at all)?

4. Is there anyway to specify which programs use Anti-Aliasing and which ones do not? The terminal looks terrible, as does mozilla for small fonts. This is because I run my desktop at 1600x1200, and lowering the resolution to increase readability is not an option, although I really like the AA for everything else.

Thanks,
Total Idiot
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 1 can be solved by putting updatedb somewhere in your crontab.

i.e.:

Code:
# echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nupdatedb" > /etc/cron.hourly/updatedb
# chmod 755 /etc/cron.hourly/updatedb

That'll make a little shell script for ya...
scottanious
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.0 Questions Reply with quote

Quote:

2. When I click on the 'home' icon, I assume that this starts up nautilus. However, when I visit web pages withing nautilus, it displays the actual HTML code instead of the web page (with graphics, etc). How can I fix this? Mozilla works fine, but I figure I might want to try nautilus.

This is a two step process... first make sure that you have emerge-d the package nautilus-gtkhtml.

Second, go to a web page in Nautilus, and where it says "view as text" choose (from the drop down list) "view as..." to open the dialog box. In the box, ensure that "View as GtkHtml" is selected, click modify and choose "View as default for html items".

After that, you should be able to browse the web with Nautilus.
Spider
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.0 Questions Reply with quote

Newbie123 wrote:
Does nautilus load itself into memory at startup (I saw loading text, wasn't sure)? Is there any easy way to load mozilla into memory like IE does for windows?

Not just for the sake of "loading" .. you see the icons on your desktop? thats Nautilus.
Mozilla loading in RAM I dont know about, with galone it is:
Code:
galeon -s
and placing that in the gnome-session for "launch at start"

Newbie123 wrote:

3. I attempted to create a shortcut/application launcher on the bottom panel. I successfully made one that will launch mozilla, but I wan't to select a Mozilla icon to display. Where would the icon be located (or is there one at all)?

Code:

/usr/share/pixmaps/mozilla-icon.png

Newbie123 wrote:

4. Is there anyway to specify which programs use Anti-Aliasing and which ones do not? The terminal looks terrible, as does mozilla for small fonts. This is because I run my desktop at 1600x1200, and lowering the resolution to increase readability is not an option, although I really like the AA for everything else.

Mozilla's AA is handled in other places, see seaparte threads (search is your friend)

for the terminal I suggest opening it up and changing the font, the default font is the same as for your desktop but scaled to Monospace. its horrid.

fixed (misc) is decent

To disable AA for a program, open a terminal:
Code:

unset GDK_USE_XFT
my-program &

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: