Possible problems with data corruption while mixing compress
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Possible problems with data corruption while mixing compress Reply with quote

I've recently change around my backup system, and as such I'm looking at moving files to a dir, then try to minimize the size of the files by tar/lzmaing the file(s).

Does anyone know what could happen, using the defaults, when mixing lzma and bzip2?
d3roga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've understood correctly, you want to compress bzip2 file with lzma or other way around. This shouldn't cause any problems, but generally when using two high-level compression algorithms there is no real gain in terms of file sizes.
Dralnu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d3roga wrote:
If I've understood correctly, you want to compress bzip2 file with lzma or other way around. This shouldn't cause any problems, but generally when using two high-level compression algorithms there is no real gain in terms of file sizes.

Well, I realize that there wouldn't be a gain, but compressing it, taring it into a file, then zipping the file is what I was concerned about.

I know that compressing a text file w/ lzma, then with bzip, it actually ends up larger, but I just wanted to make sure this wouldn't screw something up/
d3roga
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each compression routine takes care of integrity of its content, so you should be safe. 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: