Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
2.6.24: path to uevent helper? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Etal
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Posts: 1641

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: 2.6.24: path to uevent helper? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi

I am configuring Kernel 2.6.24, and there is an option under "Generic Driver options" which asks for the path to uevent helper with the default path "/sbin/hotplug"

I don't have /sbin/hotplug. What is supposed to go there?

Thanks in advance!
_________________
“And even in authoritarian countries, information networks are helping people discover new facts and making governments more accountable.”– Hillary Clinton, Jan. 21, 2010


Last edited by Etal on Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hoacker
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 478
Location: Bürstadt, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.24: path to uevent helper? Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:
I don't have /sbin/hotplug. What is supposed to go there?


This is my /sbin/hotplug: http://pastebin.com/f2cdcac8d, hope this helps...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Etal
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Posts: 1641

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.24: path to uevent helper? Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
AM088 wrote:
I don't have /sbin/hotplug. What is supposed to go there?


This is my /sbin/hotplug: http://pastebin.com/f2cdcac8d, hope this helps...


Thanks, but I don't even have an /etc/hotplug.d which is referenced in your script... Isn't hotplug outdated? :?
_________________
“And even in authoritarian countries, information networks are helping people discover new facts and making governments more accountable.”– Hillary Clinton, Jan. 21, 2010
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hoacker
Guru
Guru


Joined: 04 Aug 2007
Posts: 478
Location: Bürstadt, Germany

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 2.6.24: path to uevent helper? Reply with quote

AM088 wrote:

Thanks, but I don't even have an /etc/hotplug.d which is referenced in your script... Isn't hotplug outdated? :?


Do you have hotplug installed? Here are my installed hotplug packages:
Code:
# equery list -i hotplug
[ Searching for package 'hotplug' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] sys-apps/hotplug-20040923-r2 (0)
[I--] [  ] sys-apps/hotplug-base-20040401 (0)


Both packages are more than 3 years old, I'd call this outdated :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chris.c.hogan
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 02 Oct 2005
Posts: 187

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.23-git3.log
Quote:
Driver core: add CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH

The kernel creates a process for every event that is send, even when
there is no binary it could execute. We are needlessly creating around
200-300 failing processes during early bootup, until we have the chance
to disable it from userspace.

This change allows us to disable /sbin/hotplug entirely, if you want to,
by setting UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="" in the kernel config.


If you don't have /sbin/hotplug, set this to "" to keep the kernel from pointlessly trying to execute it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Etal
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Posts: 1641

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris.c.hogan wrote:
From: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.23-git3.log
Quote:
Driver core: add CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH

The kernel creates a process for every event that is send, even when
there is no binary it could execute. We are needlessly creating around
200-300 failing processes during early bootup, until we have the chance
to disable it from userspace.

This change allows us to disable /sbin/hotplug entirely, if you want to,
by setting UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="" in the kernel config.


If you don't have /sbin/hotplug, set this to "" to keep the kernel from pointlessly trying to execute it.


Thank you, chris.c.hogan!
_________________
“And even in authoritarian countries, information networks are helping people discover new facts and making governments more accountable.”– Hillary Clinton, Jan. 21, 2010
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tld
l33t
l33t


Joined: 09 Dec 2003
Posts: 851

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris.c.hogan wrote:
From: http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/snapshots/patch-2.6.23-git3.log
Quote:
Driver core: add CONFIG_UEVENT_HELPER_PATH

The kernel creates a process for every event that is send, even when
there is no binary it could execute. We are needlessly creating around
200-300 failing processes during early bootup, until we have the chance
to disable it from userspace.

This change allows us to disable /sbin/hotplug entirely, if you want to,
by setting UEVENT_HELPER_PATH="" in the kernel config.


If you don't have /sbin/hotplug, set this to "" to keep the kernel from pointlessly trying to execute it.


Just curious...I'm in the process of upgrading to 2.6.24 and came across this post. I had to manually edit .config to set UEVENT_HELPER_PATH to "", as "make oldconfig" defaults to /sbin/hotplug. Just out of curiosity...is there a way to specify an empty string during make oldconfig when it wants to default to some value?

Tom
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum