Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Did the 2007.0 Live{CD,DVD} failed you?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Did the 2007.0 Live{CD,DVD} Release failed you?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 53 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 91

d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a Gentoo minimal CD installation method is an experience :)
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use the Minimal CD whenever I build a system.

...and yes.. I always do a Stage 1.. That way I know it completely works on a specific system, even an old 486 and Pentium.
chris.c.hogan
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it fail? That depends on your definition of fail. I just started a new install for a friend. I happened to find the livecd first. I don't generally pay much attention to the boot media as long as it offers a shell and tar. as often as not, I use knoppix at runlevel 2. The first error I noticed was a warning that no networking devices could be found. I didn't understand this as networking worked fine after booting. hdparm tossed an error. I wasn't expecting X to attempt to load automatically. Documenting a boot parameter to disable X would be nice. I seem to remember nox being an option in the livecd initrd. Anyway, X failed due to the ATI driver missing.

However, the system is currently installing without a problem. I wouldn't call that fail.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
I never had a failure with minimal cd, but lately I use systemrescue cd mainly because it have mc :) I also use mc in X... So, can we have mc on live cd? :)

you could file a feature request on bugs.gentoo.org and assign it to release@gentoo.org.

SnEptUne wrote:
Hmm... no? I never got the chance to use the new LiveCD. I know that Gentoo 1.4 LiveCD works fine though.

Try using that on modern hardware ;)

rgk wrote:
it worked basically flawless for me but i did hear that a bunch of people had problems with it and they just used 2006.1

I had issues with the 2006.0 livecd not providing gnupg.

arnvidr wrote:
Failed. I guess it was the P35. SystemRescueCD worked fine, so I guess it was the kernel.

that's probably because the SystemRescueCD is updated more often that the Gentoo livecd which should change soon, "I Hope"

chris.c.hogan wrote:
Did it fail? That depends on your definition of fail. I just started a new install for a friend. I happened to find the livecd first. I don't generally pay much attention to the boot media as long as it offers a shell and tar. as often as not, I use knoppix at runlevel 2. The first error I noticed was a warning that no networking devices could be found. I didn't understand this as networking worked fine after booting. hdparm tossed an error. I wasn't expecting X to attempt to load automatically. Documenting a boot parameter to disable X would be nice. I seem to remember nox being an option in the livecd initrd. Anyway, X failed due to the ATI driver missing.

However, the system is currently installing without a problem. I wouldn't call that fail.

There is a "nox" option on the live{cd,dvd} the minimal is just bare-bones command line cd with less requirements on RAM, this cd is ideal for machines with less than 128MB of memory and anyone that just want to get things done quick without the need for a wizard "GLI" or alot of desktop environment bloat running. so if you prefer to boot the live{cd,dvd} without X you just give it "nox" at the kernel prompt.

By failed, I mean if the CD doesn't detect your motherboard's controllers or network cards that are needed for a successfully install. Most new Linux users will get discourage by this and this is a reason to have "official" non-official livecd releases with updated kernel support as new hardware is added to the kernel so that everyone doesn't have to use other alternative livecds or just update the livecd more often. I mean 6 months is the current window between new hardware releases in this modern age, kernels and packages get old fast and a media that just boots should be available. Anyways, for me the live{cd,dvd} and or minimal only had issues with certain chipsets and the fact that it didn't have certain packages and hardware support that's fairly new like jmicron & some of the intel chipsets, also marvell.

I voted No because the failed ratio was low and it deserves a Yes.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M wrote:
I never had a failure with minimal cd, but lately I use systemrescue cd mainly because it have mc :) I also use mc in X... So, can we have mc on live cd? :)

Don't forget the releng mailing list. According to this post they want suggestions for what should be available. I'd agree with mc on the minimal disk, personally.
xanas3712
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my jmicron-using board the livecd failed, but minimal cd worked using all-generic-ide.
pandaxiongmao
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's supposed to be an installation medium, but I was disappointed that it resembled GNOME desktop with lame graphic support (I want my video card to work right away whenever I boot the CD/DVD.)
zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't work, it dedected all my hw except for my hd, which is a simple ata connection. It did find my cdrom however :? I used the ubuntu install cd instead.
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone try the System Rescue CD to install Gentoo?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I would like to know what is the difference between the minimal CD and the SystemRescueCD ?

If I need to chroot my box with gentoo I do that :

Code:

#mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo
#mount -t ext2 /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/boot
#mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
#mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# source /etc/profile

Do I need to add some extra command or change something else to chroot my box with SystemRescueCD ?
Simba7
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.. But it comes with some extra FS's and support for newer devices (and a recent kernel)..

Comes in handy when I'm experimenting with Reiser4.
likewhoa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
In fact, I would like to know what is the difference between the minimal CD and the SystemRescueCD ?

If I need to chroot my box with gentoo I do that :

Code:

#mount -t ext3 /dev/sda8 /mnt/gentoo
#mount -t ext2 /dev/sda7 /mnt/gentoo/boot
#mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
#mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# source /etc/profile

Do I need to add some extra command or change something else to chroot my box with SystemRescueCD ?

It's basically the same but with more packages and better kernel support drivers. System Rescue CD is build with the Catalyst tool that gentoo uses to make it's install mediums.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah...so the next time I have a problem with one of my friends that use recent hardware, I will use SystemRescueCD instead of the most recent Knoppix :)

Thanks for the info :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: