Mysql 4.x ebuilds help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darminus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Mysql 4.x ebuilds help Reply with quote

I would like to use mysql, but not the 3.23.56 version that is in the portage tree. There is an ebuild for a 4.x version, but I can't get it working right at all. I have googled and searched the forums for any such topic that could help me out and I come up with nothing. If someone is out there that could help me out, that would be great.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u have to tell us the problem u have - 'it doesnt work' is hardly enough information to propose a solution ;)
darminus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is installing (emerging rather) mysql 4.0.13. Right now, in my portage tree, if I were to type "emerge mysql" it would emerge mysql 3.23.56, and that isn't the version I want on my computer. I guess my question is really to see if there are people out there who are successfully using a 4.x version of mysql and to give a little insight as to how they did it.

In detail, here's where I think my problem is: here's the code I used to install mysql:

Code:
emerge /usr/portage/dev-db/mysql/mysql-4.0.13-r3.ebuild

after I do that it asked me to exucute this code to make sure all packages dependent on mysql are up to date and rebuilt as well:

Code:
/usr/portage/dev-db/mysql/files/rebuilder.sh

What that gives me is a list of packages I need to rebuild. The only package it lists is DBD-mysql. So I re-emerge DBD-mysql. That's as far as I've gotten. Every time I try and start mysql, either with: "/usr/bin/mysqld_safe &" or "/etc/init.d/mysql start" I don't get mysql started. The output just tells me that mysqld has ended, or that it failed dependencies, respectfully.

Again, I am looking more to see if there are people out there using mysql 4.x successfully and for them to just share how they got it up and running, but if someone can help me out specifically, that would be great too.
DarkHelmet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe you should try the installation docs of www.mysql.com itself...
I Love Techno!
darminus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have, but I don't want to install mysql that way. I would like to build it using emerge, and ebuilds. I know that I can do it that way, and I'm just want someone to give some advice on how I can go about getting it up and running.

I can't believe that there aren't any people in this forum that can help me out. I just want to find someone who has emerged mysql 4.x and is currently using it and then for them to share how they went about doing it. That's all.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: