Thanks to Gentoo...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Thanks to Gentoo... Reply with quote

...I'm posting this on Galeon, remotely over an SSH-tunneled X connection, on an entirely wireless, 128-bit WEP encrypted house network...both boxes running Gentoo, of course ^_^ Thanks to the countless number of people who either answered questions I had or had answered them before in the forums, it all works mighty smooth now! Next step: Hacking an I-Opener to be a remote X thinclient terminal for the living room... =) Although an entire Gentoo install isn't possible on that thing, with just the 16MB disk it has onboard, you can bet there's gonna be a gentoo-sources kernel on there =P
Lord_Orion
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try something perhaps with a little nfs...
so it put the max infos on another disk from another computer.

It's a suggestion... :D
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I plan to =) But the kernel, at least, has to sit on the local server, because the little USB network adapter I'm planning on using with it doesn't support network boot =\ So it's not totally a thinclient, but close enough...boot locally, get far enough to bring networking up, then mount the root and other filesystems on the new box, and open a remote X session and run all the apps off the new box as well =) Plus, I'm going to wire the app-server-esque box into my stereo system as well, so the I-opener can control mp3 playback remotely...
Lord_Orion
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know when it functions... I'll do the same thing in some month... so I can be interested by your results...

:D
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do =) I'm waiting on a new BIOS chip for the I-Opener, so that I can actually get into the BIOS and get a root shell on the system ... (the particular version I have is locked in the BIOS =\)

But then, it should be a simple matter of getting everything up and running...maybe I'll even write a short Gentoo-IOpener-ThinClient howto or something ^_^
Giganight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know how you mad out with your iopener. I recently aquired one and it has jailbait on it, but I'd like to put gentoo on it to remote to a server, any insight would be great
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: