Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry.
I will update the ebuilds later today (got to go now). There are some changes required,- both in the ebuilds and in the configuration thereafter.
Leon_UK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
I am sorry.
I will update the ebuilds later today (got to go now). There are some changes required,- both in the ebuilds and in the configuration thereafter.

Not a problem ppurka, Thank you for your time and effort on the ebuilds. I set it up manually for now though I will revert to your ebuild once you have the time to do it.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just updated the ones in ecomp overlay.

Seems to work somewhat fine so far, wow.

Only problems I had is that I had to edit enlightenment_start.sh to first start E, and then ecomorph.
And libdecoration fails to load:

first it finds and tries to load the one from ecomp

Code:
ecomorph (core) - Error: dlsym: /usr/lib64/ecomp/libdecoration.so: undefined symbol: getCompPluginInfo               
ecomorph (core) - Error: Failed to lookup getCompPluginInfo in '/usr/lib64/ecomp/libdecoration.so' plugin

then the one from compiz, which is supposed not to work I guess.
Code:
ecomorph (core) - Error: dlsym: /usr/lib/libdecoration.so: undefined symbol: getCompPluginInfo
ecomorph (core) - Error: Failed to lookup getCompPluginInfo in 'libdecoration.so' plugin

Due to this emerald fails to load and I have no dropshadows.
Leon_UK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have'nt got emerald I was going to try and pull it in via portage but it also wants compiz as a dep. is that the only way? or is it possible to get a running emerald without the normal compiz?.

EDIT: disregard the above, I went ahead and emerged emerald from portage letting it pull in compiz, it all works fine with emerald and drop shadows, I will try and go back later and use your ebuild gimpel and see if it reproduces your error

Last edited by Leon_UK on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon_UK wrote:
EDIT: disregard the above, I went ahead and emerged emerald from portage letting it pull in compiz, it all works fine with emerald and drop shadows, I will try and go back later and use your ebuild gimpel and see if it reproduces your error

Interesting! Thanks..

EDIT: woot. nevermind!

I just tried with a manually compiled ecomorph, and it works with that.
So maybe the ebuild really needs to install ecomorph in a different prefix.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I uploaded the new ebuild sets. There are a couple of changes required.
  1. The ebuilds ecomp and enlightenment have been updated to reflect the git change.
  2. Above, gimpel mentioned that it might be beneficial to install ecomp in a different prefix. I have modified the ebuild to have a "local" USE flag. If "local" is enabled, then ecomp will be installed in /usr/local instead of /usr.
  3. It is now recommended to NOT use ccp and hence libecompconfig, ecompconfig-python and ecsm with ecomorph. The recommended method is to use ini files. I have updated the ecomp ebuild to give you the corresponding information as a log message. The ini files can be downloaded from the itask-ng website and are now located in ~/.ecomp (instead of ~/.config/ecomp ). Moreover, the variable names used in them has changed slightly. Additionally, each ecomorph plugin has a different configuration file and the plugins you want to load can be specified in ~/.ecomp/options/general-allscreens.conf file. Any changes made to those files have immediate effect.
  4. There is a module called "eco" (comes up as "ecomorph" in the module config dialog) which can be loaded. Then if you go to Settings->Look->ecomorph, you can control the configuration of the various plugins. Not all plugins have a dialog yet (for example thumbnail plugin). Keybindings can probably be handled via e's keybinding configuration (haven't tried any keybinding yet).
  5. Although it is not recommended to use or install libecompconfig, ecompconfig-python and ecsm, I have still included those ebuilds. They are however untested since I am using the ini (now default) plugin
  6. As gimpel mentioned, I too ran into the bug where I could not launch ecomorph before e17. The workaround was to use something like this:
    Code:
    (sleep 5 && ecomorph ini) &
    enlightenment_start # etc etc.. whatever other options you prefer

I have a question though: is ecomorph completely stable for you guys? I have had e17 lock up completely for no apparent reason while using ecomorph. gdb gives no useful information (iirc it says: duplicate frame with libc.so.6 and then it stops the backtrace).
Leon_UK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:

I have a question though: is ecomorph completely stable for you guys? I have had e17 lock up completely for no apparent reason while using
ecomorph. gdb gives no useful information (iirc it says: duplicate frame with libc.so.6 and then it stops the backtrace).

I have not had any lock up's as of yet, which was pleasing.
Using the standard enlightenment build (e17) with xcompmgr, that would give me lock up's and I would have to restart X (ctrl+alt+backspace)
but with ecomorph I haven't suffered from any lock up's nor the random slowdowns I was getting,
I also gave Call of Duty 4 a quick spin via wine and did not notice any impact on performance although I was not watching my fps at the time.

I just remembered, on occasion when playing about with modules, when I load/unload them it would crash giving me the pop-up asking if I want to recover or exit. hitting recover would do the trick then i could load or unload that module.

The other thing I wouldn't call it an instability is when using the cube sometimes changing workspace via alt+F keys (1-4) would result in some buggy behaviour I cant really explain it so this will be confusing,
say I had a window open on workspace one, I could alt+F3 to the third workspace and although the cube rotated and the Ibar shows me as on the third workspace, I will still be seeing the open window on the first.
even more confusing is if you try and reposition the open window when this happens only for it to shoot of the screen to the third workspace which at this point is not being displayed on screen.

Testing it out as I wrote this I noticed it happens either when the cube would randomly spin in the wrong direction or when it doesn't spin at all.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon_UK wrote:
The other thing I wouldn't call it an instability is when using the cube sometimes changing workspace via alt+F keys (1-4) would result in some buggy behaviour I cant really explain it so this will be confusing,
say I had a window open on workspace one, I could alt+F3 to the third workspace and although the cube rotated and the Ibar shows me as on the third workspace, I will still be seeing the open window on the first.
even more confusing is if you try and reposition the open window when this happens only for it to shoot of the screen to the third workspace which at this point is not being displayed on screen.

Testing it out as I wrote this I noticed it happens either when the cube would randomly spin in the wrong direction or when it doesn't spin at all.
Although I don't use the cube (actually I use a very minimal number of effects), I have noticed this too. One solution for me was to enable the wall plugin. I also noticed that there was a tendency for this to happen if you minimize your windows and then disable ecomorph. Windows in other desktops tend to not show up on the screen.
Leon_UK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using your ebuild ppurka and it is working just as well as when i compiled it manually I did'nt run in to that bug as you and gimpel did, and all is running well, I prefer to use the ebuild since it saves me from having to record all of e17's dep's to my world file masking them from emerge --depclean.

So thank you for that.
jaydoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... I am a gentoo novice, and have just installed e17 by following the gentoo wiki instructions and using Vapier's overlay. And it went without trouble except for 2 modules, which also installed correctly after a day or two.

I now want to try out Ecomorph using these e-builds, and this is the first time I am going to be using a "3rd party" e-build. So it would be helpful to know whether the instructions I found here, would be enough to do it successfully, so that when I follow them, i can just do an "emerge ecomorph" and the package will be emerged successfully.

And, from what I read here I understand that, Ecomorph also includes a "hacked" e17 so that compiz can work with it. Are there any instructions that I might have to follow in addition to the usual ones so that I can emerge ecomorph and e17 correctly...?

Thanks for the ebuild, and any helpful replies.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaydoc wrote:
Ok... I am a gentoo novice, and have just installed e17 by following the gentoo wiki instructions and using Vapier's overlay. And it went without trouble except for 2 modules, which also installed correctly after a day or two.
Enjoy the default e17 for a while. It is already an improvement over many other WM's ;)
Quote:
I now want to try out Ecomorph using these e-builds, and this is the first time I am going to be using a "3rd party" e-build. So it would be helpful to know whether the instructions I found here, would be enough to do it successfully, so that when I follow them, i can just do an "emerge ecomorph" and the package will be emerged successfully.
If you happen to download my ebuilds, all you have to do is
Code:
mkdir /usr/local/portage
echo 'PORTAGE_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"' >> /etc/make.conf
# And if you are using layman overlay then also include this:
echo 'source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf' >> /etc/make.conf
Then unpack the ebuild tarred package:
Code:
tar -jxvf ecomorph.tar.bz2
mv ecomorph/* /usr/local/portage  # I am assuming that you have an empty /usr/local/portage
rmdir ecomorph

Of course, do read that guide you pointed out and try to understand what is going on in the above commands. This will help you troubleshoot if anything goes wrong.
Quote:

And, from what I read here I understand that, Ecomorph also includes a "hacked" e17 so that compiz can work with it. Are there any instructions that I might have to follow in addition to the usual ones so that I can emerge ecomorph and e17 correctly...?

Thanks for the ebuild, and any helpful replies.
All you would need to do after getting the ebuilds is
Code:
emerge =enlightenment-9999-r1 ecomp
I presume you know by now how to unmask these packages. This will pull in the modified e.git and the ecomorph package. Also you should look at the ecomorph website mentioned in the HOMEPAGE area of the ebuilds. It has got important information.
jaydoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I did try to do it the way you suggested, but there is a hitch. As I used Vapier's overlay to install the "default" e17, my /usr/local/portage contains the layman directory, with the enlightenment directory and ebuilds from that overlay.

So I unpacked your ebuild to /usr/local/portage/. I already had /usr/local/portage added to my make.conf as PORTAGE_OVERLAY. I have a directory named /etc/package.keywords to which I had symlinked the package.keywords needed to unmask the vapier's overlay packages. So now I made a file called package.keywords for the enlightenment-9999-r1 packages for your ebuild, in the /usr/local/portage directory, added

Quote:
=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999-r1
=x11-wm/ecomp-9999

and symlinked it as well to the /etc/portage/package.keywords directory.

Now trying emerge enlightenment-9999-r1 does NOT pull in any new file(s). It just says that the package is being installed in a new slot. So is that what should happen....? I think that an entirely new package needs to be pulled in...? So what should I do to modify your how-to...?

And I don't think I am unmasking ecomp right. Because even after doing the above I still get this error message.

Quote:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-wm/ecomp" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-wm/ecomp-9999 (masked by: missing keyword)

Thanks for trying to help. I badly want to see how compix does on e17 :)
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaydoc wrote:
Quote:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "x11-wm/ecomp" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-wm/ecomp-9999 (masked by: missing keyword)

Try "x11-wm/ecomp * **" in your package.keyword, it should drop the "missing keyword" problem.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaydoc wrote:
Thanks. I did try to do it the way you suggested, but there is a hitch. As I used Vapier's overlay to install the "default" e17, my /usr/local/portage contains the layman directory, with the enlightenment directory and ebuilds from that overlay.
That is not correct. layman directories should be under /usr/portage/local.
Quote:

So I unpacked your ebuild to /usr/local/portage/. I already had /usr/local/portage added to my make.conf as PORTAGE_OVERLAY. I have a directory named /etc/package.keywords to which I had symlinked the package.keywords needed to unmask the vapier's overlay packages. So now I made a file called package.keywords for the enlightenment-9999-r1 packages for your ebuild, in the /usr/local/portage directory, added

Quote:
=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999-r1
=x11-wm/ecomp-9999

and symlinked it as well to the /etc/portage/package.keywords directory.
You don't need to create a package.keywords file in /usr/local/portage and then symlink to /etc/portage/package.keywords. You can create the file directly in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

Secondly, you are not unmasking it correctly. These live ebuilds have missing keywords and so you must append ** at the end of the package names, just like Holysword pointed out.
Code:
=x11-wm/enlightenment-9999-r1 **
=x11-wm/ecomp-9999 **

Quote:

Now trying emerge enlightenment-9999-r1 does NOT pull in any new file(s). It just says that the package is being installed in a new slot. So is that what should happen....? I think that an entirely new package needs to be pulled in...? So what should I do to modify your how-to...?
enlightenment-9999-r1 should replace your current (svn) enlightenment-9999. It will download the files from git to /usr/portage/distfiles/git-src. It should definitely not be installed in a new slot.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
enlightenment-9999-r1 should replace your current (svn) enlightenment-9999. It will download the files from git to /usr/portage/distfiles/git-src. It should definitely not be installed in a new slot.

Yeah, I lost a lot of time in this and just get a "package collision" problem...
But why not make a new slot for enlightenment-9999-r1?
Leon_UK
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gone back to compiling it manually, not sure why but when using the ebuild e17 became very unstable constantly crashing when I used things like the 'run command' (alt+escape) I also couldn't get gnome-menus to work with it, I was suppose to test it out making the menu's by hand but I forgot to do so.

the only problem I have now is getting winlist_ng or itask-ng to detect my self compiled e17 not sure why not, it's installed to /usr/local/
I also noticed it finds edje fine, but that was compiled by portage and resides in /usr/bin/ unlike my enlightenment which is /usr/local/bin/
Code:

checking where the gettext function comes from... libc
checking for edje_cc... /usr/bin/edje_cc
checking for pkg-config... /usr/bin/pkg-config
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.9.0... yes
checking for E... configure: error: Package requirements (enlightenment) were not met:

No package 'enlightenment' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables E_CFLAGS
and E_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Holysword and @Leon_UK: e17 has the capability to determine its install prefix at run time. So, if you install e17 (along with its efl dependencies) in, say, /opt/e17 and then move the directory to /opt/e17-new and then run the enlightenment_start from the new directory, e17 will run just fine (it will determine the new prefix).

If you want to have two different e17 installations, then you can keep the separate installations at different directories. But do not mix portage installed and self-installed files. One of the primary reasons that e17 has been found to be unstable was when people had old files remaining in their system from old installations of e17. You can look at the e17 mailing lists and you will find this is a recurring phenomenon.

If you really want to have two different installations of e17 (with the whole set of efl dependencies), then I suggest that you look at the easy_e17 script which is available from the exchange.enlightenment.org website. In that scenario, you will have to remove your portage-installed e17, otherwise the libraries in /usr will get mixed up all over again with the libraries in /opt (where easy_e17 installs e17).
jaydoc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ppurka and holysword....

Thanks for helping out. However, as I am now behind a proxy, git is not able to pull in anything from the repos. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to make git use a proxy. I will give this a try from my home connection in about 3 days.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ppurka and @Leon_UK:
Well, as I said before in this topic (or in a similar one) I never got lucky with ebuilds, that's why my previous installation of E17 was tottally done manually; not even easy_e17 worked for me O.O.
I'm not that inclined to use easy_e17 again, and this layman overlay is working so smothly that I'm afraid to take it off. Moreover I'm using E17 as my main wm as it is pretty stable here, so I don't want to risk having only ecomorph - which was NOT stable here the last time I installed.

So, can I manually install ecomorph in /opt/e17 without conflicting with the portage e17?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword wrote:
So, can I manually install ecomorph in /opt/e17 without conflicting with the portage e17?
You will have to install efl (i.e. all the dependencies evas, ecore, eina, etc) in /opt/e17 also. And then install ecomorph. But I am not sure how you will ensure that while compilation only the packages in /opt/e17 will be linked to. Probably looking at the easy_e17 script will help you.

EDIT: Personally, I have a script which handles the emerging of enlightenment and can switch safely (till now at least :P ) between ecomorph and svn enlightenment. The only modification I had to do was during the launching of enlightenment. I had to ensure that I use a different profile with ecomorph and svn enlightenment. If you want the script, I have uploaded it to
http://ppurka.googlepages.com/e_emerge
If you happen to use the script,
  • please read the output of e_emerge -h first and change your list of installed packages in E_LIST variable.
  • Make sure you use different profiles with enlightenment and ecomorph. This is to ensure that your default enlightement (stable) profile does not get 'corrupted' in any sense. To clone your profile you can use the profile dialog, or you can simply copy the profile
    Code:
    cd ~/.e/e/config
    cp -r <your current profile> ecomorph

• In order to use the different profiles automatically, modify /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop to start enlightenment as enlightenment_start -profile <your current profile> and modify /usr/share/xsessions/ecomorph.desktop to start enlightenment with -profile ecomorph.
  • Ensure that those xsession files do not get overwritten on subsequent emerges.
  • Also, you can not change profiles if you start enlightenment like this:
    http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/ticket/217

Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ppurka. I'll try it out as soon as possible ;)
balkira
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
EDIT: Personally, I have a script which handles the emerging of enlightenment and can switch safely (till now at least :P ) between ecomorph and svn enlightenment. The only modification I had to do was during the launching of enlightenment. I had to ensure that I use a different profile with ecomorph and svn enlightenment. If you want the script, I have uploaded it to
http://ppurka.googlepages.com/e_emerge

Indeed very handy (looks way better than my own), thanks alot for that, I'll be using it from now on :P
sian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I have questions :
- cube works only after I stop and restart ecomorph in the module
- I do not have switchers
- I do not have exposé
How can I solve that ?
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me even animations were not working ever since the migration. I have now removed it and am running just vanilla enlightenment. I haven't had the time to investigate whether this is a problem with my compilation or with the new code itself.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found the reason behind the non-working animations, etc. It was due to a setting in my LDFLAGS. The discussion is present here:
http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/issues/detail?id=86

I have updated my ecomp ebuild to filter out --as-needed from LDFLAGS.
http://ppurka.googlepages.com/ecomorph.tar.bz2

@sian: if you are using --as-needed in your LDFLAGS, please try ecomp after removing that. If you are using my ebuilds, then try updating to the new files I have provided.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: