View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: gnome 2 performance Reply with quote

i have a p233 w/ 128mb RAM and a 8mb vid card.

would gnome2 run well under that? i ask because i read at the gnome site that gnome 2 has cleaner code and all that stuff so should have better performance with gnome. i ran gnome 1.2(?) on this box awhile ago and it wasn't bad at all.

hehe, prolly not, but all the screenshots are making me drool. im using fluxbox at the moment and it's hella fast. im willing to take a performance hit as long as it isn't similar to the performance hit i got when trying to run XP RC1 (partly due to the bugginess) on this machine....

(i tweaked win2k enough to run on this machine with half the system RAM and half the video RAM and enough room to play Unreal Tourney/HL-Counter-Strike w/ my voodoo2)

ryan
jezza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno your proc sounds a bit wimpy :D , and 128MB RAM would be pushing it. I wouldn't want to wait around for Gnome 2 to emerge on that box, go with Fluxbox, ok so it doesn't have all the eye candy but thats my point who needs it???? It'll be no better than KDE3 in that respect, plus you'll have more memory to speed up all those emerges.

mmm emerge emerge mmm
/me goes on emerging random interesting looking software

Jezza
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not just the eyecandy that im after, it's the functionality. im much more comfortable with a gnome environment than i am with fluxbox. there are things missing that i've come to depend on (e.g. a fully functional taskbar for starters).

the eye candy is just a bonus! but i want to know if the eyecandy is going to cause a performance hit.

ryan
S_aIN_t
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want functionality and eyecandy is not important i would recommend using something like fluxbox or blackbox. simply running gnome looks like a big waste of resources to me. but it is your call.. \

if you like it enough and it runs fast enough for you why not use it?
mudfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran garnome on a Dell Latitude that was close to but lesser then your specs and it ran great. At least as good as gnome 1.4 anyway. I say give it a shot what have you got to lose? Gnome 2 rocks.
jezza
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that a 233Mhz GNOME 2 box is going to be laggy, but acceptable. One thing you can do under KDE3 is to turn on/off all the superfluous eye candy/anti aliasing, maybe GNOME 2 has similar options.

I'm still messing with Fluxbox, its quite a depature from KDE3.

Good luck with it :D

Jeremy.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may want to give enlightenment a try, especial e17 :)
Sivar
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: gnome 2 performance Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
i have a p233 w/ 128mb RAM and a 8mb vid card.

would gnome2 run well under that? i ask because i read at the gnome site that gnome 2 has cleaner code and all that stuff so should have better performance with gnome. i ran gnome 1.2(?) on this box awhile ago and it wasn't bad at all.

From the GNOME 2.0 official release notes:
Quote:

GNOME 2 exhibits notable performance improvements over its predecessors and some competitors, even on older, slower machines:

Bradley Shuttleworth

Just installed it smoothly on a P2-233 with 96 Mb RAM. Nautilus fires up a new window in under 5 seconds (which, given that Nautilus took longer than that in 1.4 on my Gigahertz laptop, is a pleasant change).

(And to brag, its faster than Windows XP on my laptop, too? XP takes a shine longer to fire up Explorer, and various other tasks are slightly faster.)

Mads Villadsen

I run it quite comfortably on a K6-300 with 96MB RAM. Everything feels at least as fast as with GNOME 1.4 - and Nautilus has become really usable as well. All in all it is pleasure to use :-)

You have the same CPU as the first guy with more RAM. Sounds like it will at least "fire up Nautilus" in under 5 seconds.
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there, ya see? thats what i was looking for :P

thanks for that, man :)

to the guy who recommended fluxbox for functionality... i have to agree and disagree. yes fluxbox has some nice features, but it's missing alot of what i've becom comfortable with. should read my post again, perhaps ;)

anyhoo, dont get me wrong. i love fluxbox. i think it's great. to those who were saying "just go for it, what have you got to lose"... well, alot of time. see, gnome 2 will take quite a bit of time to compile on a p233 ;)

to the person who recommended e16. blech. i used to like enlightenment, but the more i used it the more i began to DISlike it. especially the iconbox. e17 i'd try, but it sounds like too much of a pain in the ass to install ;) i'll wait for the ebuild.

gnome2 here i come!

ryan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: